Psychometry [1/5]

Psychometry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Moving on to our next story.  A chopped off frozen hand and foot had been found in a suspicious suitcase earlier today. It was found beside a locker in Jongno subway station. A passer-by had informed a security guard, who later called the police after opening what was inside the suitcase. Police are now finding for any traces of evidence and are investigating further into the case.” The anchorwoman said as Jiyeon was drawing.

She looked up at the television momentarily before looking back on her computer screen, and continued drawing on her digital drawing pad. She used her left index finger to push her sliding specs back in place. Her nose bridge was unfortunately flatter than most, so she had to do that multiple times. She took a sip from her mug of coffee as she colored the scenes that she drew for the day.

Her phone suddenly started ringing, the sound resonating around the small studio apartment that she was living in. She looked down at the caller ID and let out a tired sigh. She stood up as she swiped her thumb across the answer icon on her phone. She went over to her vintage windows and looked out to the city. She lived on the top floor of the modernized apartment building, so she had the privilege of having a great view of the area she was living in.

“Hello?” She answered the call before taking another sip of her coffee, that was already emptying.

“Have you seen the news?” A familiar high-pitched male voice asked, sounding panicked. Jiyeon didn’t let his tone bothered her and just emptied her mug of coffee. It was her 7th cup today and she was starting to feel a headache coming. She put down her empty mug on the desk and crossed her arm across her chest, her hand resting on her inner elbow of her right arm.

“Yes.” She simply said, looking down at the busy streets. It was already dark, and nearing 9 p.m.

“It’s the 5th one Jiyeon. How the hell do you know these things?!” The male screeched. He was afraid that the police would find out about the webcomic and this would lead to problems. Worse, they might become suspects. Jiyeon slightly winced at how high the pitch was and nearly blew her tops off at this male. She let out a deep breath to calm herself down.

“I don’t.” She lied smoothly.

“Don’t tell me it’s another coincidence. All, Jiyeon. All your works were shown on the news. Except, this is real life we’re talking about. How did you manage to know that there’s a frozen hand and foot even before the police found them? God, you even sent this 2 weeks ago! Are you telling me that the suitcase was there for 2 weeks without anyone knowing?!” The male asked, extremely agitated. Jiyeon was perfectly calm as she answered her editor.

“I do not know Mr Kim. As far as I’m concerned, I’m just a comic writer. Maybe the person who put it there was inspired by my comic.” Jiyeon said like it was nothing. She could hear the heavy breathing from the other end of the line. “Mr Kim?” Jiyeon called out.

“If that is so, it would be nothing better. It’ll make you look like you’re inspiring people to become murderers, do you know that Jiyeon?” The male asked, sounding a lot calmer than before. However, instead of panic, his tone was laced with genuine concern. However, she knew. She knew better than to trust him. All he wanted was the fame and the money that came with it. But his worry started appearing after the 2nd comic.

Honestly, her comics were all pretty short, with at most 5 episodes in them. All of them were cliffhangers too. But strangely, they became popular.

“That would be their problem then. I’m busy Mr Kim.” Jiyeon said and hung up, not waiting for a response. She took her empty mug and went to wash it before putting it on the mug holder on the wall, beside the sink. She took her grey cardigan that was resting on backrest of the swivel chair behind her desk.

She wore it before she left her apartment. She walked up the emergency staircase and opened the door to the rooftop. She was greeted by the strong autumn wind, her hair that rested right below her chest was now flying all over the place. It didn’t bother her since she always comes up to the rooftop. Bright or dark, day or night. She would usually be up here if not at home drawing.

She let out a high pitch whistle and a pigeon soon flew over to her. She offered her index finger, letting the pigeon rest on her index finger. She closed her eyes, familiarizing the sensation that she was starting to feel.

Flashes of images and scenes that the pigeon had witnessed started to appear in her mind like a movie.

It continued on, until the pigeon flew up and away from her. She opened her eyes, her eyes widened in fear. She felt something dripping down on her upper lip so she went to touch it. She looked at her fingers and saw red liquid that she recognized as blood. She wiped the area between her nose and lips, smudging the liquid on the back of her hand.

“I guess there will be a continuation to this story then.” She muttered to herself, before looking up at the dark sky.

Jin sighed, massaging his temples. “The CCTV showed that the suitcase had been there for a little more than 2 weeks. It was left by an old man who worked as a cleaner before resigning right after leaving the suitcase there.” One of his colleagues said, giving Jin the filed report. Jin took it right away, looking through another report. He just finished reading the autopsy report on the frozen han

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter