Age: Fourteen

Age
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mrs. Rim is a strong independent woman that likes to find justice and peace in those around her. However observing the young teenager in front of her she hated to be the bearer of bad news.

 

“Seulgi, I hate to say this but your time in school is up. The officials are not pleased that you are getting the special treatment of education while the other orphans aren’t,” said Mrs. Rim as she took off her glasses and closed the manila folder.

 

Other orphans. Seulgi is an orphan. For the past three years she’s been living in an orphanage waiting for someone to adopt her; but no one did. After all, who wants a teenager? Teenagers were a handful to deal with.

 

Seulgi has still been attending school due to her exceptional grades and school consular putting in a good word for her. She spent after school hours in the library and only returned to the orphanage to sleep. Majority of the orphans were younger, some were just as six month old to the oldest being five years old.

 

The caretaker once told her the older kids around her age always ended up in Juvenile Jail. Without proper parentage kids normally end up selling drugs, stealing or joining dangerous gangs. She remembers clearly when the caretaker telling her that she was lucky for her age to be in the orphanage and not on the streets.

 

“I’ll sit down with your counselor beginning of next week that will give you enough time to gather your belongings and say goodbye to your friends,” said Mrs. Rim

 

Mrs. Rim, I just need one more year,” pleaded Seulgi

 

“Seulgi I’m sorry, but –”

 

“I am a candidate of getting a full scholarship to university. I can make it. I just need till the end of next year and I can guarantee you I will make it,” pleaded Seulgi

 

“I know, you’re a handworker Seulgi, but I’m sorry there is nothing I can do. I’ve –”

 

“What is the probability of me getting adopted?...None. I’m a fourteen year old with a troubled past Mrs. Rim; no one wants that. Based on the adoption policy, it states that any child with a troubled past would require counseling session. Do you think any parent would invest a sum amount of money on a child during a recession? Why adopt me when you can get a newborn, right?” chuckled Seulgi as she wiped the tear that rolled down her cheek.

 

Seulgi promised herself to be strong and independent. She can’t afford losing her education. Without it, she was nothing.

 

“There is nothing for me here. I’ll reach the age of eighteen, I’ll get kicked out of the orphanage as I’m considered an adult by that time. I’ll be jobless and I’ll be on the streets. I don’t want that. Going to school and learning is all I have Mrs. Rim, please understand that. Please, I am begging you to give me one more year,” cried Seulgi

 

Mrs. Rim sighed deeply and Seulgi found the silence unbearable.

 

“Okay…I’ll talk to the officials again,” nodded Mrs. Rim

 

Even though Seulgi felt relief, she now holds the burden of perfecting every exam in order to get the scholarship.

 

***

 

 Joohyun sighed as she closed her books. Exams were coming up and she was surely going to fail math if she doesn’t pull herself together. She decided enough for the day as she packed her belonging and stood up.

 

The library was merely empty except for a table at the far end that was occupied by an individual. Seulgi. Puberty has done wonders for Seulgi, or so Joohyun has thought. There is no harm in passing by and asking about her fellow classmate.

 

When Joohyun approached the table, Seulgi was too engrossed in her books that she didn’t realize someone standing in front of her.

 

“I hate math. Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Calculus, anything to do with numbers really,” said Joohyun as she pulled a chair and sat down.

 

Seulgi gazed up to only to see Joohyun grinning at her. She didn’t know how to respond to the statement and just continued working on her calculations.

 

“ Mr. Lee has been boosting about you on the school’s newspaper, did you get a chance to read it?” asked Joohyun, trying to strike a conversation.

 

“No,”

 

“They published an article about the types of scholarship universities are providing and what grades and extra-curriculum students need in order to achieve them. Mr. Lee dropped your name a couple of times says you’re a great example in achieving one,” said Joohyun

 

Seulgi nodded as she turned the page of her book.

 

“So you’re planning to study engineering?” inquired Joohyun

 

Seulgi realized she wasn’t going to get any work done so she closed her book and faced Joohyun.

 

“Yes, and you’re planning to study fashion,” replied Seulgi

 

“How did you kn—”

 

“Mrs. Han keeps praising your design work and based on the curriculum you’ve chosen next year, it seems you’re aiming for a design school,” stated Seulgi

 

“How do you know w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter