Age: Seven

Age
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kang Seulgi knew she was different from others. Her shirts were always loose and baggy, there were always holes on the socks she wears, and her shoes that were a size bigger for her were worn out that on summer days she could feel the heat on the pavement.

 

She knew she was different when she didn’t even attend kindergarten and skipped to third grade. Her teachers at the beginning were hesitant of a student with no educational background, but when Seulgi recited the multiplication table and was able to mentally divide long equations; the teachers have realized that the seven year old may be young to be a third year student but she certainly had more potential than any other in her class.

 

Even though her teacher appreciated her, her classmates didn’t. She was the shortest within her class, wore the same black shirt and pants everyday to school, and her hair was always tangled in a mess. It made her an easy target to get bullied and be out-casted by her classmates.

 

So Seulgi sits at the far end of the playground, holding her PB&J sandwich on her right hand while turning the page of her math book with the other.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Seulgi looked up and was greeted with Bae Joohyun looking down at her with a smile on her face.

 

“Memorizing double digit multiplication table,” replied Seulgi

 

Seulgi could see Joohyun face scrunch up with distaste towards the subject. “But’s it playtime, you should play,” said Joohyun as she pointed at the swings.

 

Joohyun was the kid that always has a different hairstyle everyday, and she had the newest pencil case with glittery pens that had a scent when you write with them. The girls would all gather around Joohyun asking if they could borrow her pens and she would gladly give.  Seulgi was tempted to ask Joohyun a couple of times if she could borrow a pen; she always wanted to know if the pens did indeed have the fruity smell when you write with them, but she was too shy and scared to get rejected by the older girl so she kept to herself.

 

“ I…I don’t know how to swing,” admitted Seulgi

 

She could see Joohyun smile widely taking a step closer and pulled her to stand up.

 

“Will swing together. I’ll teach you!” said Joohyun excitedly

 

Before Seulgi could even reply she felt a sudden force from behind pushing her. She stumbled and fell on the sand one of her shoe slipped off.

 

“Joohyun don’t touch her she’s dirty,”

 

Seulgi sat up and brushed the sand off her clothes before realizing it was Hyunseung that pushed her.

 

“Eww look at her socks it has holes!” said Hara as she stood behind Hyunseung.

 

Seulgi picked up her math book and her half-eaten sandwich that was now covered with sand; she realized that her classmates have surrounded them.

 

“I’m standing far away from her and I can still smell her”

 

“Do you shower in the garbage?”

 

“I’m sure she got her socks from the garbage”

 

“Stinker Seulgi”

 

Those were the usual taunts Seulgi is used to hearing from her classmate. She was shorter than them and they all circled her and looked down at her.

 

“Stop it. Stop being mean,” Joohyun said as she stood up for the younger girl.

 

Joohyun picked up Seulgi’s shoes and handed it to the younger girl.

 

“Thank you,” Seulgi mumbled as she put it on and tried to breakout of the circle.

 

The immediately gave way as no one wanted to be touched by her, but before she was close to leave Hyunseung extended his leg and tripped her. Seulgi could hear them laugh and high-five one another, tears welling up in her eyes as she got up quickly and ran inside the classroom.

 

***

 

The school bell rang indicating the session to be over. The kids packed their belongings quickly and ran out of the classroom excited that it was home time. However Joohyun took her time packing her bag as she saw Seulgi finishing her notes. Joohyun has noticed Seulgi the first day of third grade and has been trying to make an effort into befriending her. Though it was not easy due to the bullying of others, Joohyun still tried her best.

 

She grabbed her bag and walked towards Seulgi, the younger girl was currently placing all of her books in a plastic bag.

 

“I’m sorry about what happened today. I just wanted to play with you,” Joohyun said.

 

Seulgi looked at her slightly confused before smiling lightly and replying, “It’s okay. It’s not your fault.”

 

“Do you like i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter