chapter three.

of the dreamers and believers.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THIS FANFICTION IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED. ENJOY THE CHAPTERS THAT ARE HERE, BUT IT WILL NOT BE UPDATED ANY TIME IN THE FUTURE.

The man was young, but older than the girls standing in front of him, their instruments held tightly in their hands. He was probably in his thirties, early ones, but his eye-smile showed some wrinkles, perhaps from stress, or perhaps something else that no one in the band could quite pin-point. Sojung, in her infinite thoughts, had decided she probably looked the most nervous and despite the fact that Hyunjung was sitting in a chair near the corner of the room did not make her feel any better, in fact, it probably made everything worse.

Somewhere deep in the back of her mind she began thinking of her mother and her father, instantly causing herself to get red in the face, not from embarrassment, but from fear. What would they say if they found out she was in a band now that some representative came to check them out? They would kill her, that's for sure. A while ago she had stopped caring about what they thought, but the idea that they would now find out, from someone other than herself, most probably, frightened her into mutism. She saw Dawon look back at her, giving her a big thumbs up, before she turned back to the front. Sojung was really scared. That man, in his gray suit, looked nice enough, but there was a twinkle in his eye that said he was not going to play around and Sojung, who hadn't even been in the band a week, was not prepared in any sense of the word.

How could she be? She was a good drummer, but not that good. She didn't have every one of FOX's songs memorized yet and that was dangerous. If this man, who obviously was an expert in music, though she couldn't say how anyone could get that title, saw her weakness, she could ruin the chances for her band. They deserved this, she was sure about it, but she didn't know if she deserved it at all.

"Sojung, are you ready?" The drummer heard a faint voice call out to her, Jiyeon's voice. She looked up instantly, meeting eyes with not one, but five people. She looked over at Hyunjung, sitting and watching with concern; she looked over to Xuan Yi who was smiling softly, support written all over her face; she met eyes with Dawon who was, once again, giving a sweet, caring smile; at Jiyeon who wasn't smiling, but looking at Sojung with worry, her lips slightly apart, mouth agape; and then, she met eyes with the representative and could not read his expression at all. For some reason, all this snapped her back into reality.

"Yeah, I'm ready," Sojung replied, nodding slightly, before inhaling such a large amount of air she could have choked on it. "One, two, one, two, three, four!" And they were off. Her head was spinning, but her mind still worked enough to have her hands moving to the beat of their first song. She dared not look at the man, solely focusing on what she was doing with the bass drum and her hands. Boom, boom, boom, boom. A very slow beat from the bass drum, but the cymbals needed to be faster. Tsktsktsktsk. Something like that. 

Dawon's voice bled into the entire song, leaking into all the sounds of the instruments. Everything seemed to be going perfectly and despite the fact that Sojung's hands were rather sweaty and she knew her face was as white as snow, she felt incredibly good. 

"Do you think he likes us?" Xuan Yi whispered to her bandmates (plus Hyunjung) as they all sat around a small round table in the cafeteria of their university. The day before, Thursday, the representative, after hearing a variety of FOX's best songs had told them that he enjoyed their performance and would get back to them as soon as possible on the deal. They hadn't heard anything the Friday after, but they stayed hopeful, for the most part. Sojung felt they did a good job, but what would she know? The entire performance, she was in a daze.

"I do," Jiyeon nodded, looking over at Dawon who mirrored the action.

"He said he did, anyway," the singer gave a small smile, to which Jiyeon elbowed her in the ribs.

"Hey! We're already nervous enough. Don't say that kind of stuff." Dawon chuckled, then stuck her chopsticks into the rice that was sitting in front of her, taking a bit out and stuffing it into . Jiyeon just stared at her. Sojung and her roommate were quiet, both scared, though Hyunjung couldn't explain why she would be. In all honesty, she cared so much about Sojung that if FOX didn't get signed, the pain she knew Sojung would feel, would also course through her as well. Sojung was like the sister she never had, and it was hard for the older girl to watch her friend get so worried about stuff like this. It was a big deal, yes, but it wouldn't make or break the band. 

"Sojung?" Xuan Yi called out to the drummer of FOX. The latter looked up in surprise, muttering out a "huh?" Xuan Yi gave a cute smile then shrugged. "You seemed really out of it and that's about all." Sojung could feel the blush climbing up her cheeks. She really liked these girls, but they sure knew how to , despite the fact that she didn't really know them that well. She hardly knew them, but they seemed to know a lot about her.

"Anyway, ladies, are we going out to celebrate tonight or what? A little birdie told me that Jinsuk is going to be there too!"

"Jinsuk!" Simotaneous shouts of excitment came from the three original members and it was obvious how confused Sojung and Hyunjung were. Sojung at least knew who Jinsuk was but poor Hyunjung. She was wide-eyed and just looking around, wondering who in the world Jins

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter