Aftermath

Wings of a Dragon

 
"Oh my gosh," RJ breathed in shock. She pressed her back as far as she could into the cushion of her chair. "What is going on?" Her eyes moved from the unconscious man, to her new boss, to the signed contract on his desk. Was this the universe's way of telling her she made a big mistake?     

The woman and two men picked up the man and dragged him from the office. The third man walked up and stood beside RJ's chair, looking only at the man he worked for. He tossed an orange envelope onto the desk and RJ caught a quick glimpse of his hands. They were calloused on the knuckles and scared on his palm. They veins and tendons stuck out and the tips of his fingers looked worn down. He either punched a lot of boards, or a lot of faces.

Jiyong, still turned away with his clenched fists walked to a door at the back of his office. He shut the door behind him and the sound of running water was heard.

The man standing beside RJ looked from the envelop he just tossed to the contract beneath it. He peered down at his new coworker, who had her eyes stuck terrified to the door Jiyong hid behind. The man pulled up a second chair and sat himself down facing RJ. He grabbed the arms of her chair and turned her to face him, causing her to press herself further into the cushion.

"Hello there, little girl," he said, a thick Russian accent making him seem 3000 times more terrifying. His name tag said M. Pietrov in black against gold. He gave her a once over and sat back in the chair across from her, attempting to look less intimidating. Unfortunately, he looked like the mob boss in movies you definitely did NOT want to mess with.

"First few minutes in the company and you had to witness that? Scary, I know." He shrugged. "But you must understand, our boss would never do something like that unless someone threatened his 'family'." Pietrov opened the envelope he brought in and showed her a picture of a little girl.

The door Jiyong disappeared behind opened and RJ's new boss walked out and sat down in his chair, seeming less like the violent guy from before and more like a man experiencing pain from deep within his heart. RJ's eyes were glued to his, searching for immediate answers. He meet her eyes and flashed her a gentle smile. Jiyong had to control himself, and the fact that he lost control so easily was a shock to him. Block B gang was causing problems, and with the funeral that happened only days ago, he was still trying to get himself back to the light hearted person he was.

"This little girl had a mommy very close to the boss," Pietrov started. "She was raising the little girl and two other boys all alone, until she married a man from the company. Great wedding, marvellous," Pietrov kissed his fingers and threw them into the air. RJ smiled with him, but his smile vanished in a heartbeat. Pietrov started to play with the edge of the photograph, racking his brains on the words he would say.

"If this were my little girl, I would have killed that man," Pietrov said calmly, bending the edge of the picture. He looked to his boss, sat up, and put the photograph on his desk. "It was lovely to meet you," he said, putting his hand on her shoulder as he let himself out.

Pietrov closed the door behind him and walked across the floor to the elevators. He heard the ding of the elevator, got in and released the breath he had been holding. To see the woman his boss spoke of, Pietrov had always brushed it off as a joke. He knew there were secrets that had to be kept, but this secret had potential to be much more dangerous.

Back in the office, Jiyong continued to play with his hands, checking his knuckles, cracking them if they were stiff, repeating the process again. He clenched his fists under the table, imagining the cool metal from his favourite crowbar fitting perfectly between his fingers.

He peeled his eyes from the window to the right, and locked eyes with the woman before his desk. She looked scared, confused, completely lost now that she was in his world. Before, when he thought she was someone else, her eyes seemed familiar to him, but he was deluded, and this left him somewhat empty inside.

Jiyong sighed. "You must excuse Milo. His little girl is his whole world. And I don't blame him." He stood up and walked to the other side of his desk. "Miss Mays," he said.

'His seriousness is terrifying,' thought RJ.

"What do you think we do here at Horizon Corp.?" Asked Jiyong, leaning against his desk with arms crossed.

RJ was caught by surprise, but she answered as clearly as she could. "You work in surveillance and research, sir." The 'sir' came out without thought. The aura Jiyong was giving off was not that of a chummy CEO, but of a man who valued respect and authority. 

"Correct, but we also work in construction and architecture. Noel works in the latter. Wonderful woman, really. Couldn't ask for a more amazing worker." Jiyong smiled a bit, thinking of how far she'd come. "And I trust her with my life. She told me you were just as amazing as her, if not better."

RJ's face contorted into that of a disbeliever. 'Predictable as always,' thought Jiyong.

"You have already signed the contract, one that I view as extremely important, mind you. You are trusting me with your life."

"Huh?"

"Work life, sorry." Jiyong made a mental note to punch himself later. "What I mean is, I do not take that contract lightly. However, due to the circumstances that have just transpired, I am giving you a chance to escape. Hear my side of the story, and if you decide you don't want it, I will tear up the contract and you will be free to go."

"I accept." His change in speech and tone was throwing her off. One minute, he was just some guy in love, the next he was like a billionaire holding a glass of wine and a gun, speaking in the most refine and careful manner. 

"Good." Jiyong sat down in the chair beside RJ. "I'll spare you the details and cut to the chase. Dani, the little girl, was my goddaughter. Her mother and I go way, way back. Her new husband, a man I myself was not all too sure about, seemed a little too close to Dani. She and I always trade secrets, as you know, but one day, she tells me her new daddy liked to play grown up games with her. How when mommy leaves the house, he always locks himself in her room with her." 

His voice remained calm, but Jiyong's eyes rarely met RJ's. The longer he spoke, the more his hands fumbled, clenched, unclenched, repeat. 

"Knowing that bastard could lie his way out of any major legal action, I suggested we set up surveillance, Eunji was against it at first, wanting to leave, but I convinced her to stay." Jiyong's voice quieted and he focused on one point far behind RJ. "We have footage of a struggle between him, and Eunji and Dani. Trying to get away, Dani runs out into the street, escaping torture only to be met with death."

Silence came and stood right between the two of them. It was a long pause, each of them not knowing what to say, or when to say it. One did not know how to react, not knowing how much to say in return, while the other needed to limit what was said, lest he say something to bring back the memories.

"You blame yourself too much," RJ spat out. "You blame yourself for a large part of the situation. I don't know the extent of the relationship you and Dani had, but something tells me she wouldn't want to see you in this state. You look calm, your voice is perfectly persuasive. Your story did not tell me anything more than facts, but to be honest, I feel as if I can trust the human side. While you bottle your emotions to keep the story straight, there is still a part of the story you won't share. I respect that, and I would really like to have the opportunity to work here." RJ extended her hand for a shake.

Jiyong smiled and took her hand. "Are you staying?"

"If you'll have me."

He tugged on her arm, pulling her closer to him, but stopped, leaving RJ baffled. "Sorry. Force of habit." Jiyong stood up and led her out the door. "Mind giving me a quick moment?"

"Not at all, sir!" She said as she closed the door.

'OHMYGOSHWHATTHEHELLJUSTHAPPENED?! Why did this have to happen THE DAY I go to check out the job?' RJ leaned against the office door and banged her head against it. '"If you'll have me" WHY DID I SAY THAT?! I should get out of here as soon as possible.'

RJ looked back at the door and then to the elevators on the other side of the room. She took one step forward and listened to the movement from Jiyong's office. Nothing, so she took another step, and another.

Wait, did she hear something fall?

Another three steps. She heard some scuffling and a grunt. Was he coming out?

'I can make it to the elevator if I run right now,' she thought. RJ looked at the office door again. '... But I did sign the contract. And it would be rude off me to leave now after saying twice that I'd like to work here.' RJ slumped her shoulders and turned around, walking back in the direction of the office.

She sighed, turned around and leaned her body against the door. Almost immediately after, Jiyong burst out of his office.

"Where is my new underling," he chuckled, looking around, but seeing no one.

"Right here, sir," said RJ from behind the door.

"If you aren't already tired of me," said Jiyong as he closed his doors, "'I'd be happy to show you where you'll be working."

"I think I could do with another tour."

"It is no problem for me if you wanna do it another time."

"I'm fine with doing it now. Only if YOU aren't tired of ME." RJ pushed some of her hair out of her eyes. 

Jiyong waved his hand. "It is always a pleasure. Helps my ego, too, if I get the chance to show off a new employee. Especially one with a pretty smile."

While he had his back turned, RJ bit her lips trying not to smile too much. 'Smooth mofo, indeed,' she thought.

"Is this your first time in this city?" 

"I have visited a few times before, but never lived here." RJ replied, catching up to her new boss by the elevators.

"Hmm... Do you know any self-defence?"

"Uhhhh...."

Jiyong smiled. "This city has gotten pretty dangerous recently with the rise in hooligan activity. You would be fresh meat for those wild dogs. I have all of my employees learn something, just in case. Everyone's safety is my top priority."

"That is very admirable."

They went down to the seventh floor, a place filled with the smell of who-knows-what. Each desk had some of the newest in computer technology. And at each desk, was a guy typing away, taking a swig of something and stuffing something into their mouths. In the far corner, there were a few girls, but with their messy hair, deep eye bags and ruffled clothes, RJ didn't think they were too keen on meeting anyone.

"Oh my gosh," mumbled Jiyong. "I... I swear, I keep my company a lot better than this." He looked done. D.O.N.E. He rubbed his face and scanned the room. "Guys," he said. No one responded. "Guys!" He said a little louder. Over the noise of the constant clicking, the people turned around, looking at their boss expectantly.

"You... This..." Jiyong walked up to the first desk and held up an opened bag of Cheetos between his forefinger and thumb. "This is disgusting."

"We have been here forever," said the owner of the Cheetos bag.

"We wanted to get the job done as quickly as possible," said one in the back.

"I admire that, I do. But this," he said, waving his arms to demonstrate the 'room', "is not, and will not, be a thing."

"Don't worry. Everything will be back to the way it was before," said a man as he approached Jiyong. The man put his hand on the boss' shoulder and kinda gave him this 'I'm not all here right now' look.

"...Are you high?" Jiyong asked. The man just shrugged and shuffled away. "Okay, that's it. Everyone, out!"

A sea of groans reached  RJ's ears and the scene of people standing up met her eyes. Everybody in the room, without question, stood up and filed out. 

"After you have all taken a much needed shower, come back in here and clean this up," said Jiyong as people walked past him. "I don't want you guys wearing the same clothes. Wear the company robes, if you have to," he shouted after them.

Jiyong sighed as the door closed and he looked to RJ. "Not the most impressive tour, am I right?"

"Not by a long by a long shot," she laughed.

"Well, I do have to give them credit. We sometimes work with the police, and they recently asked us to gather info on a new gang that has popped up, called Block B. Weird bunch, honestly. My tech workers have been here for days, it seems. One hundred percent out of their own free will."

"I guess they are all really devoted."

"... Yeah. You could say so," Jiyong ran his hands through his hair and clicked his tongue. "Like I mentioned earlier, every two floors has a manager, excluding the first and second. The second is the only floor belonging to quality control. The lower number of every two floors is called the basic floor of the 'insert department name'. The seventh floor here is the basic floor of the tech department. The higher of the two floors is for the manager and promoted employees of the department, as they usually work together." The two of them stepped back into the elevator.

"When will I start my work?"

"You can start immediately, if you'd like. How long does it take you to drive in?"

"Two hours, four hours here and back."

GD whistled. "That's quite a bit. Noel told me if you got in, you'd move. Still true?"

"Might as well," RJ shrugged. "I've wanted to leave that old apartment for a while, so why not to this city. Also, I hear quite a few affordable houses just came on the market. I wouldn't want to miss this chance."

"If you are willing to make the commute, you are welcome to start immediately. But you are allowed to wait until you find a place to live. I have a friend in real estate I can hook you up with. Unless you want to find a place on your own, that's cool. Although, I'd prefer to have you present in the office in a month and a half, at most. Just let me know when we want to start so I can let the accountants know to adjust the expenses to allocate for your salary."

"I don't mind starting immediately," she smiled, imagining the dough rolling in.

"Really? Wow. That's perfect."

"Great! And mind if I take you up on that real estate offer?"

"I'll give her a call tonight," said Jiyong, giving her a thumbs up. They got to the first floor and the pretty receptionist was there waiting.

"Yes?" She asked, holding onto her clip board. 

"She is a go!"

"That's great," said the receptionist, pushing Jiyong completely out of the picture. "Now, miss Mays, can you please put your email and number here," she said, passing RJ the clipboard. "This way I can keep you in contact and send you files to catch up with what's going on."

"Thank you!"

"No problem, hon. You are part of the family." The receptionist smiled and escorted RJ to the door. "I will send you more information tonight or by tomorrow morning by the latest. Have a safe trip!"

RJ waved and pushed her way through the spinning doors. Once out, the driver from earlier waved at her and she knew exactly where to go. Everything was going quite well.

---------------------------------

"She was always a fine addition to the family," said Jiyong, smiling as he walked back to the elevators. He pressed the button and felt a presence behind him, so he turned around and came face to face with the receptionist.

"I know what you are thinking," he started, "but you can't say anything. I will contact the leader of the Sharks once we have enough information on her. Until then, keep absolutely quiet."

The receptionist puffed out her cheeks and dropped her arms to her side in defeat. "The real wonder is how YOU have kept quiet for this long."

Jiyong shoved his hands into his pockets and stepped into the elevator. "For her well-being, I must."

----------------------------

RJ out her keys on a hook and turned off the porch light. She shuffled her way to her room and laid flat on her bed. The day she had, the people she met, it was all so crazy and fun. And Kwon Jiyong, oh he was so hot.

"You'd never find someone like him in a million years," she laughed, walking to her bathroom. RJ looked at herself in the mirror. "Well, don't you look absolutely amazing," she muttered sarcastically, inspecting her tired eyes.

She replayed the conversations from the day in her head, as she usually did right before bed. She hummed as she organized a midnight snack, and finally, RJ whistled tunes as she tucked herself into bed.

"Kwon Jiyong," said RJ, in the darkness of the night. "Kwon Ji... Jiyong K, Ji K.... Ji D... Ji D, why does that sound..." RJ reached over to her nightstand drawer and pulled out a note book and a pen. She wrote down the variations of her new boss' name and stopped at 'Ji D'. Below it, in big letters, she wrote 'G  D'. 

"I feel like those letters are important... somehow..." The harder RJ searched through her memories, the harder a dull throbbing in her head pounded against her skull.

RJ looked around, the pain in her head becoming fierce. Her surroundings were dreamlike, spots covering her vision, noise ringing in her ears. Her breaths were rapid and short, the lack of oxygen was making her head hurt even more. Putting her hands to the side of her head, RJ braced her body for the pain. 

'Don't slow down, don't slow down! Just keep running, Riley! Run to the front. If you hear gunshots, do not look ba-' 

RJ cried out as images flashed into her brain. She felt longing, she heard a train zooming by, she smelled gasoline. A lot of it. She looked to her left and saw the broken windshield of a crushed car. To her right was what remained of a man's head all over the train table.

There was a scream, and then complete silence.