//1

Don't Des(s)ert me

 Don’t des (s) ert me

It was a Friday night and Kyungsoo is still at his office, trying to figure out the proposal that is supposed to be presented tomorrow. Coincidentally, it is the proposal that Jongdae is supposed to prepare 1 week ago before it got shoved into Kyungsoo hands just yesterday with a teary Jongdae kneeling on the floor begging Kyungsoo to save his . Kyungsoo signed as his fingers busied around the keyboard in frenzy, eager to clock out once he figured out the avenue for this proposal. Jongdae owes him big time, like always. He remembers the coffee Jongdae still owes him and thinks, oh the things I do for my friends.

Just then, he receives a notification informing him that Jongdae has apparently uploaded something facebook. Kyungsoo takes a look and almost burst in rage at the picture Jongdae uploaded of him and his boyfriend, Baekhyun. Out with a sweet dinner with my boyfriend! <3<3<3, the caption had stated. What the hell was Jongdae doing! How could he go on a date when his proposal was still undone? Oh yeah right, Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo wonders why he ever makes friends. Next he wonders how he should kill Jongdae.

Finally, Kyungsoo typed in his last word and saved the document before shutting down his computer. Glancing at his clock while packing up, he congratulates himself silently when he sees the clock only ticking a 6:45. Grabbing his briefcase and jacket, he was off to the train station. He thinks of how dinner would be waiting for him back home and his boyfriend. Yup, his boyfriend. Jongdae could not believe that Kyungsoo got a boyfriend before him. He only got to know Baekhyun through Chanyeol. Guess you could say that life is full of surprises as Kyungsoo and Chanyeol decided to move in together, which resulted in Jongdae getting kicked out and had to move in with his brother. Jongdae was really unhappy with Kyungsoo during that time, except he can’t do anything to Kyungsoo with Chanyeol protecting him. Ha, take that Jongdae! Luckily Kyungsoo was not as bad of a friend as he likes to think himself to be when he remembers Jongdae during his first meeting with Baekhyun. From then on, everything was history.

Chanyeol’s and Kyungsoo’s first meeting was a lot more less smooth and definitely a lot more awkward. They were in the same college, and Kyungsoo bumped into Chanyeol in the hallways. They tried to sidestep each other a few times before realizing that they are both doing it and still ended up blocking the other. It was also a Friday night and it was already dark at the time. Kyungsoo had been studying in the library before being chased out by the librarian who was getting ready to close the library and Chanyeol had apparently stuck himself in the studio room until realizing that he was not and never will be a plant that can photosynthesize, thus dragging himself out for dinner with a stomach that was nearly as noisy as him. Because they were both exhausted. Because they were both hungry. Because Kyungsoo looked like an angel under the lights. And Chanyeol looks like some character out from Star Wars. They both ended up laughing at the weirdness of the situation. Like how sidestepping the other seemed like a seemingly impossible task with the more effort put in by them both. In the end, instead of blocking Chanyeol’s way, Kyungsoo turned around and walked in the direction Chanyeol had been walking towards. Hearing Chanyeol stomach growl as they were busy laughing, kyungsoo realized that he was hungry too and gestured for Chanyeol to follow him. They could eat together. Even though they just met. It seemed almost natural as Chanyeol tagged behind Kyungsoo, and picked up a conversation.

Kyungsoo lead them to a nearby eating stand where he ordered takoyaki for two. To his surprise, he and Chanyeol talked with ease, their interactions seemed practiced as they started feasting on their dinner. Feeling mischievous for once, Kyungsoo grabbed a bottle of wasabi and squeezed it discreetly onto Chanyeol’s takoyaki. Chanyeol was talking animatedly to Kyungsoo about how he had a pet ferret when he was young and did not notice. However, the burn on his tongue was a little hard not to notice, as tears streamed out of his eyes. Chanyeol jumping up and down, profanities flowing out of his mouth like how imaginary steam can be seen coming out of his pointy ears. Everyone in the store looked at them weirdly; some of them muttered “young kids and their relationships”. Kyungsoo was laughing as he pulled Chanyeol away, offering him a bottled water from his bag. The tugging on Chanyeol’s arm was let off and he found himself in front of an ice cream truck as Kyungsoo ordered a triple scoop ice cream. A cone was shoved into Chanyeol’s hands as he looked up to Kyungsoo on his own cone.

 “My treat.” He said.

“Well of course, you were the one who burned my tongue. “ Chanyeol retorted.

Chanyeol was pleased to know that Kyungsoo was not afraid to play a prank on someone he just recently got acquainted with and from that moment onwards, he knew that they would make great friends. And maybe even something more.

This unlikely friendship bloomed into something more romantic as Kyungsoo remembers the ink hue tinting Chanyeol’s cheek when he asked Kyungsoo if he would be his boyfriend as Kyungsoo happily said yes and jumped into Kyungsoo’s arms.

Well, Kyungsoo cannot imagine life without Chanyeol as everything seemed like a memory with Chanyeol know. Even as he got off the train and during the walk home, Kyungsoo was reminded of their first meeting when they went to get ice cream. The sky was a medium hue of dark blue. The wind rustled the leaves in the trees, blowing Kyungsoo’s bangs across his face. The ice cream bell suddenly rings through the air and Kyungsoo just could not resist. Well, who could say no to ice cream?

As Kyungsoo stood in queue, him being a young adult among the young kids accompanied by their parents or older siblings, Kyungsoo was tackled from behind. Wrapping his arms around the attacker’s neck, trapping him in a headlock, Kyungsoo heard a familiar yelp as he tightened his hold. Bringing Chanyeol down to his face level, Kyungsoo planted a kiss on his boyfriend’s cheek.

“Well, hello to you too my love.”

“Hmmph. Hello Mr des(s)erter. I cannot believe I pinned all my hopes and trust on you yet you betrayed it so easily like that. Just because of ice cream. Ice cream made you desert me at home waiting for you patiently to come home and have dinner together. And when I decided to come downstairs and welcome you with a warm hug, I found you here! Queuing up for dessert, without having dinner first, but that’s not the point. The huge point is that you didn’t even call me down to have some! Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo-ah! How could you! How could you bear to do this to me!”

To say it was embarrassing was an understatement. Here Kyungsoo was trying to get some ice cream to cool himself and now Chanyeol down, and Chanyeol was whining even more than the little kids also queuing up and their parents and older siblings were staring at them like they were nutcases. Well, Chanyeol certainly qualifies as one, Kyungsoo thinks. As Chanyeol continued whining, Kyungsoo ordered their ice creams before stuffing one into Chanyeol’s mouth, promptly cutting him off his whining. Chanyeol smiled satisfied before frowning. Kyungsoo wondered what could Chanyeol be unsatisfied about when he already has his ice cream when suddenly he was pulled into a kiss so sweet that after that, his ice cream tasted bland. Kyungsoo smiled at Chanyeol, mirroring a grin so big that they both looked like idoits. Kyungsoo gingerly took Chanyeol’s hands before as Chanyeol squeezed back happily as they walked back to their home. With their dessert. Their home which they won’t desert because there, they have each other.