Chapter 1 - Toothless

Children of Grave
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Kim Dongyoung is flighty.

 

He dreams about unicorns’ and their fancy horns, elves and magic, the eternal life cycle of phoenix. He believes in these mysticisms and he vowed to at least be a witness of something paranormal – special once in his lifetime.

 

He dreams but with eyes open, wide-awake. Despite being a man of science (or at least a student of biology), he had this inexplicable confidence that somewhere out there, they exist.

 

“Mr. Kim, the one with the weird hair color. Care to explain what Ion Exchange Chromatography is?”

 

“The most popular method for the purification of proteins and other charged molecules is ion exchange chromatography. In cation exchange chromatography positively charged molecules are attracted to a negatively charged solid support. Conversely, in anion exchange chromatography, negatively charged molecules are attracted to a positively charged solid support. The adsorption of the molecules to the solid support is driven by the ionic interaction between the oppositely charged ionic groups in the sample molecule and in the functional ligand on the support. The number and location of the charges on the molecule and on the functional group determine the strength of the interaction. By increasing the salt concentration, generally by using a linear salt gradient, the molecules with the weakest ionic interactions start to elute from the column first. Molecules that have a stronger ionic interaction require a higher salt concentration and elute later in the gradient.”

 

“I wanted to hate you right now Mr. Kim, but that topic would be for next month’s discussion. Anyway good job, but you should at least pretend your listening to me and not blatantly playing with your phone instead. Class dismissed.”

 

Doyoung wanted to be a doctor, too.

 

In spite of his unorthodox beliefs, he aims to be a medical doctor because his mother told him so. Normal teenagers would be iffy when their parents got to choose their child’s degree but for some odd reason, Doyoung was always satisfied with his mother’s choice. He admires his mother’s taste. He loved his mother that much. He loved his family that much.

 

As he was taking the bus ride taking him home, opened his mobile phone and checked his Pokemon Go. He was a little addicted – well a lot actually. He adores pocket monsters. He is a fan of these critters that possess such power like those in his fictitious books.  He was drawn too much in the game, catching 10 eevees and other Pokémon ‘fodders’, that he was already in his stop.

 

Sometimes, he wonders why is he the only one who’s using that terminal, and why is he getting strange looks from the driver and co-passengers every single morning he waits at the shed or every afternoon when he signals for his stop. But right now he didn’t care. He always has these awesome folks in his town – no need for judgmental stares from them.

 

Mrs. Park, the owner of the only baker in the vicinity, was waving at him and cheerfully smiling.

 

“How was the university, our Doyoungie~”

 

“It’s so-so, quite stressful actually, but nothing unmanageable. The usual, ajhumma.” Doyoung replied and handing the lady exact bills for his purchase.

 

“Here you go – croissant for your father, blueberry bagel for your mother, sweet Brioche for sweet-toothed Gongmyung, Baklava for Bogummie, macaroons for Jisungie and Mille-Feuille for our delicate Doyoungie.”

 

With a smile, he takes his leave and walked. Before arriving, he came across familiar faces of townspeople, Mr. Jun the postman who’s always in a hurry, Mrs. Mana the resident gossip girl chatting with the innkeeper, Sir Kled the retired war veteran and Grandma Cho in her rocking chair enjoying the calmness of the pre-evening. Doyoung greeted them with a warm smile – they returned the gesture with equal warmth but at the back of his recalcitrant mind, they seem cold – no pretention or anything but their smile seemed... rehearsed, programmed, perhaps. Doyoung paid no heed. He too was aware of his mind’s violent tendencies – must it be that he is a fanatic?

 

He reached his house. It was a humble abode, just enough for a family of 4 rowdy sons and a domestic garden. “I’m home.” Doyoung announced as he take off his shoes and putting the purchase in the table.

 

“I caught a 582 CP Psyduck. In your face!”

 

“Good afternoon to you too, my dear hyung, Gongmyung and good riddance to Team Instinct I’ll crush you with my 612 CP Eevee.”

 

He and Gongmyung had this special affinity towards games. They like bashing each other’s ego to the ground. The competition between brothers were nowhere near friendly but not bat personal; it’s professional – well at least to Gongmyung who loves to be a lazy parasite, as he is still unemployed by choice despite having complete limbs and an engineering degree. He thinks being a Pokémon trainer is a real career now that Pokémon Go is released.

 

“Gongmyung, you bum! Get dressed or I’ll cut off your allowance!” There was a shrill voice of a woman booming from the upstairs.

 

“Of course Madam Choi! Just a sec.” Gongmyung yelled back with equal fervor.

 

“See you Mystic loser.” With that older of the two disappeared in his room.

 

Choi Sooyoung descending caught his attention. Doyoung could tell that there’s something very important happening as his mother’s get up is definitely scarce. His mother barely suits up with dresses – she is more of the tomboy type, functional and comfy clothes were her go-to everyday attire; those represents her hyperactive attitude and general positivity, just perfect for gardening and taking care of the big baby Gongmyung. Even in special occasions, like graduations or family dinners, the most she dressed with is flair pants and now she’s poised with an azure gown flowing. Her gorgeous hazel eyes were carefully lined with kohl, accentuating it even more. Lacing her neck was a sapphire stone inlaid in sterling silver that complements her overall aura – commanding, dignitary and impossibly youthful. Aside from the simple make-up and necklace, there were no other embellishments on her – simple yet beautiful. For Doyoung, she was the queen.

 

“Is Gongmyung finally having a job?” Doyoung asked out.

 

“How I wish that that day is today.” His mother busied herself with her hair, trying to contain them in a bun.

 

Doyoung let his mother take a seat as he tried to help her mother’s hair crisis. “Then what’s with the get-up?” Doyoung get a closer look at her mother’s gown. The bodice was hugging her petite figure seemingly to impress anybody who could glance like she is the queen of the night.

 

“Thank you, honey.” After successfully taming her locks, she gets up and turned towards her precious third son and bestowed his forehead a gentle kiss.

 

“We’re meeting your brother’s fiancé.”

 

“I didn’t know Gongmyung could fish somebody, may that person’s soul have the god’s mercy.” Doyoung felt an impish impact in his shoulders.

 

“Punk. Not my fiancé. It’s Bogum’s.” He turned around and he was a little surprised of how dashing Gongmyung look in a three-piece suit – he looked far too respectable than the house infestation Gongmyung. He could definitely hook with somebody, if only he could be mature enough to accept responsibility. Nothing screams ier than a man who acknowledges his responsibility – well in his books, that is.

Their exchange was interrupted as a very handsome and sharp-looking man garbed in sable black suit walks down with a hand holding the banister and a giggling toddler in his embrace wearing fabric as expensive as man. The child was still giggling as the man imitates a baby’s voice, talking to the small cherub and peppering him with quick kisses in between words.

 

After overcoming the flight of stairs, the man was standing next to them. He was considerably short next to Sooyoung who’s wearing gleaming grey flats. “Come here, sport.” Gongmyung took the little angel in his arms and hugging the little angel in a suit, a rope of gummy worms now dangling his little mouth and trekked on somewhere – the garage probably, Doyoung guessed as Gongmyung’s chore of choice is driving for the family.

 

Kim Minseok looked handsome as always. His pygmy stature doesn’t let his natural majestic glow and kingly aura fall short.

 

“Wait! You’re basically abandoning me in this house? I wanted to go, too.”

 

“Aren’t you tired from school honey? Just rest, okay. We got this.” His mother was convincing him to stay.

 

“But mom, I ain’t a preschooler.  I’m turning twenty tomorrow!” he reasoned.

 

“The more reason you should sleep, son. It’s your birthday so you should rest because tomorrow is another day to grow.” His father was rubbing circles on his back and consoling him.

 

“That’s why you didn’t grow.” Doyoung meant it to be a whisper, just audible for himself but he earned a harsh pat from his father and a hearty chuckle from his tall mother. He was a little thankful that he’s a lucky baby for getting the right physical gene combination from his parents – his mother’s stature and his father’s face.

 

Bogum was the last one to go down. His wardrobe of choice was always impossibly horrendous but with a body and face like his, he managed to turn the unworkable ensemble into a catwalk material. The eldest among the Kim’s sons, Bogum, was revered for his handsomeness and gentle demeanor. He looks like the perfect bachelor – mothers would dote their daughters on him or themselves. Doyoung admire Bogum’s equanimity – the eldest was always collected and calm. He may look cold and mysterious at first impression but his smiles are unbelievable warm and homely.

 

“What are you now? A cotton candy?” Doyoung didn’t mean to be a little sassy, he is irritated. Being left out is not a good feeling – though temporal.

 

“She liked pink.” Bogum’s carnation long-sleeves clung on his physique, boasting his wide shoulders and well developed chest muscles. A white bowtie laced his neck. He was wearing white straight cuts and a standard black leather for his kicks. He looked like a fresh and expensive gift carefully wrapped in par expensive taffeta.

 

“Isn’t that too much? As if it’s your first time meeting her.” Bogum’s eyes flashed a look of panic for a fraction of second but it changed to his cheeky glint. It must be the younger’s imagination.

 

The rest of the Kim entered the van, waving the desolated Doyoung goodbye. He decides that sulking would have him nowhere so he freshened up and change to his favorite PJ, preparing midnight snacks – popcorn, skittles and lots of Coke to chug on, for a marathon reading.

 

He started with “Ancient Genealogy” a rare gem he found in the restricted area in his father’s massive collection of thick and dusty old tomes. It picks his attention in an instant Doyoung laid his sight on it. The book didn’t belong to the other thick books that are in hard bound and inlaid properly with its corresponding titles. However, this one is eerily covered in midnight black velvet and no words carved or printed in the cover, even in its spine and there is no pagination either.

 

Doyoung was a fast reader.

 

But he did underestimate the book. The words were shockingly scribbled by hand in a delicate fashion – each first letter of a chapter historiated with grand ancient stylistics but the subsequent ones were almost a fine print. The sparse spacing didn’t do any good, too.

 

It took a while for him too finished the book, but all the insipid narration was bearable because the fantasy within was conspiring beautifully – as though the book is retelling the actual history of vampires. Vampires, in his spectrum, was the least to possibly exist of the ‘fantastics’. His logic (and the prejudicial bias imprinted by Holly vampire movies) dictates that it’s too irrational not to walk without the sun but this book made him hopeful that vampires could exist – even some are sun-worshipers.

 

The night is getting deeper and Doyoung is preparing to talk a sleep – of course after updating his Pokémon Go. However, his phone beeped.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Missed me?” a strong, virile voice questioned from the other line.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter