after

motion

The dance studio is located in the second floor of the performing arts building and you nervously make your way down the hall. Soonyoung had offered to help you take pictures for your photography project involving motion; while you still had the shots from your fateful encounter with him, you wanted to have a wider selection of pictures before the submitting your assignment and he was more than glad to help you out – after properly asking him this time. He had asked you to come to the studio at the end of the dance team’s practice, where you hesitantly find yourself standing outside of. A glass panel in the middle of the black door allows you to peer into the room, where you observe fifteen individuals packing their belongings away.

You just have to open the door and walk in there, you coach yourself. It’ll be fine.

Your hand reaches for the handle but to your surprise, the door swings open and you find yourself face to face with Soonyoung. A black snapback’s perched on his head and he’s dressed in a black sleeveless shirt and black sweatpants for practice. The initial look of surprise on his face immediately transforms into one of delight.

“Hey!” He chirps in greeting. “You made it!”

Soonyoung opens the door wider for you and you walk in nervously. A few heads turn to your direction when they notice your entrance and Soonyoung grins from your side.

“Everyone, meet my soulmate!” He announces a little too loudly for your liking. Your ears turn red in embarrassment as the members enthusiastically greet you, some even waving their hands wildly, and you shyly give them your greetings. Soonyoung guides you to momentarily sit on one of the benches against the wall, planting himself beside you to watch the team return their possessions in their bags and depart one by one.

Soonyoung removes his hat, running his fingers through his hair while he turns to you with a smile. “Did you have class today?”

You nod. “I had ceramics and a studio class. What about you?”

“Mmm, I had two too! I had a teaching class and a film class. Pretty chill day, I’d say.”

Two tall boys wave at you and Soonyoung before heading out the door last, leaving the two of you to remain in the room. Your soulmate returns his hat on his head, the corner of his lip tugging upwards as he turns to you. “So, should we get started now?” Soonyoung prompts.

“N-now?”

“Yeah, now! So we can go eat after. It’ll be dinner time by the time we finish.”

“Don’t you want to rest for a bit? You just finished practice…you must be tired.”

Soonyoung extends a hand to ruffle the top of your head. “It’ll be fine! Come on.”

He stands up, holding out a hand towards you and you take it as you push yourself up on your feet. Soonyoung walks to the middle of the room, proceeding to warm up and stretch his muscles while you take out your camera and lens from the padded pouch it was in within your backpack. You’re focused on adjusting the camera when music starts blaring through the speakers and you look up, startled. Soonyoung gives you a mischievous grin, phone in his hand.

“Sorry, I need music if we’re going to do this!” He announces. “Here, catch.”

Soonyoung throws his phone to you in a low arch and you catch it, pocketing the device into your cardigan for safekeeping. Once you make sure the camera was at the appropriate setting, you drape the camera strap around your neck and signal a thumbs-up to your soulmate.

“Any instructions before we get started?” asks Soonyoung, head tilting slightly.

“Um…just act natural, I suppose.” You reply. “I want it to be as natural as possible.”

“Gotcha. Should I start now?”

“Go right ahead.”

Soonyoung rolls his shoulders just as the upbeat hip-hop track on the speakers reaches its chorus. His cheerful disposition disappears; making way for one that is serious and charismatic as he begins to move along to the music. You find yourself momentarily stunned at the sudden transformation; it was as though quick flick of a switch activated the change.

With the change in expression also come sharp and suave movements matching the rhythm of the tune. It was as if he had become one with the song, the music instructing him what to do, resulting in a seamless choreography. You watch Soonyoung, your lips parting slightly in awe – it was reminiscent of your fated meeting with him, reminding you of how his dancing captivated you and led you to finally meet him.

Upon that memory, you remember the weight of your camera in your hands and the reason why you were doing this in the first place. You start to immerse yourself with the task at hand and soon enough, the music from the speakers, the squeaks of Soonyoung’s shoes, and the shutter of your camera were the only sounds that could be heard.

 

 

Ten minutes later, you and Soonyoung collapse on the bench against the wall. Soonyoung towels his face dry while simultaneously chugging down water from a bottle, while you’re hunched over to preview the photos you took. Your initially empty memory card now housed almost two hundred photographs and you feel accomplished at the amount you took within the short timeframe.

Soonyoung leans over. “How did they turn out?”

You shut off the camera and move it away from him. “No peeking!”

He pouts childishly and you find the expression endearing – but you decide not to tell him that. “Aw, come onnnnn!” Soonyoung whines. “Pleaaaaase?”

You remain firm and shake your head. “No can do, sorry. I won’t show you after the post-processing. Don’t worry, I won’t edit it too much – just adjust the lighting a bit.”

“After I helped you!” He sighs dramatically. “You break my heart, soulmate.”

“Don’t be like that,” you soothe as you return your camera back in its protective pouch. “You were really cool throughout the whole thing.”

The compliment seems to warm him up and he turns to you excitedly. “Was I?”

You nod. “Yeah! Was it all freestyle?”

“Yup! I came up with it on the spot. Freestyle helps me think up of choreo for the dance team so I think I might use a few of the new steps for our upcoming competition.”

Your eyes widen in amazement. “Whoa! That’s so cool!”

“Isn’t it?” Soonyoung beams, ruffling the top of your head. “You should join us next time when we have practice.”

“Uh…” Your brow creases at the suggestion. “Like…watch you guys practice?”

“No, like dance with us!”

You wave your hands in front of you. “Uh, I don’t dance, sorry.”

Soonyoung’s eyes widen at your words and he gives you an incredulous look. “What?!”

“Uh, yeah,” you answer while returning your camera into your backpack. “I don’t dance.”

No way,” he shakes his head. “There’s no way that someone doesn’t dance.”

“You’d be surprised. You have an example right front of you.”

“What do you mean that you don’t dance?” “Well…”

You pause to select your words carefully. Fate must be twisted to match a dancer and a non-dancer as soulmates. “I never really got the opportunity to? I guess? I don’t know. I just never did it.”

Soonyoung takes off his hat before jumping to his feet. “We’re going to remedy that.”

You gape at him. “Huh?”

Soonyoung makes his way to the speakers, activating its wireless capabilities once more to connect it to his phone. A popular slow tempo r&b song starts to play and he walks up to you. You stare at him with a confused expression, which transforms into one of embarrassment when he holds out his hand to you.

“May I have this dance?” asks Soonyoung, a gentle smile on his face.

Pink flushes through your cheeks at the offer and a shy smile breaks out on your face. You take his hand, which you realize was surprisingly big and warm, and stand up. Soonyoung guides you closer to him and you squeak when he places his hands on your waist. He laughs at your reaction and you hit him lightly on the shoulder, scrunching your nose. You feel unsure where to place your hands as he starts swaying with you on the spot and settle to place them on his shoulders.

Soonyoung hums along to the song and you feel warm and tingly from your head to your toes at your close proximity. You hesitantly look up at him, only to blush when he smiles down at you. Soonyoung was gazing at you with so much fondness in his eyes and as though he was dancing with the fairest of them all. You’ve never felt this way before until now and you wonder if it’s the effect of being his fated half. The thought makes you blush and his smile grows when he notices your obviously flustered expression.

The track reaches its chorus and Soonyoung gives you a lopsided smile. “You know, the dance team hasn’t learned a dance like this before.”

“O-oh,” you respond. “It doesn’t seem like it.”

Soonyoung laughs, squeezing your right hand with his left. “Really? That’s good then.”

“If… the team hasn’t learned this kind of dance, then where did you learn it?”

Soonyoung lowers his head, the distance between the two of you closing a little bit. You can practically see the twinkle in his eyes and you feel your heartbeat start to race in your chest. “What if I said this is freestyle?” He asks, voice dropping and with an upward quirk of his brow.

You stare at him, speechless and your cheeks turning a deeper shade of red. Soonyoung seems satisfied with your nonexistent response, continuing to sway with you on the spot.

The moment feels short – too short, as the song draws to a close and a different one starts to play. Soonyoung’s hold on you comes apart as he takes a step back and you find yourself breathless and tingly and exhilarated all at once.

“How was it?” He asks gently, searching your eyes.

“I-I, um…” You muster, cheeks flushed. “I…well…um…”

Soonyoung’s eyes crinkle and a delighted grin appears on his face at your garbled answer. “Now you can’t say that you’ve never danced before.”

 

 

You somehow recover after the brief slow dancing with Soonyoung and take him out for dinner as thanks for him participating in your project, choosing a cozy yet popular diner ran by an auntie you had gotten to know through a classmate. You talk about practically everything – from school, hobbies, to anecdotes about your friends – over hearty and warm dishes of homemade food. He was about to protest when you claimed the bill quickly after the meal, cutting him off with an “it’s my treat, remember?” before he could continue.

You do let Soonyoung walk you home when he offers politely and the two of you walk side by side on the quiet sidewalk. He walks on the side closer to the road as he chats excitedly about the dance team’s prep for an upcoming competition.

“It’ll be military themed and the choreo’s probablyyyyy the toughest we’ve done so far,” Soonyoung explains. “Oh, but that’s all I’m telling you!”

“Why?” You ask with a curious look.

Soonyoung grins as he responds, “Because you have to come watch us!”

“Eh?”

“I mean, if you’re able to go,” he adds quickly with a sheepish smile. “It’s not till next month on the 24th – that’s a Saturday – but yeah, you’re invited to come watch if you have time.”

“Hmm…” You try to recall what you have coming up next month. While assignments and projects were the usual, there wasn’t really anything due around that time that would coincide with the day of the competition. “I’ll go – I would love to go watch the team perform.”

Soonyoung’s eyes grow wide, clearly expecting any other answer but the one you give him. “Really?!”

“Yeah! I mean…school pride, right?” You pause before continuing. “And why shouldn’t I support my soulmate? You did help me out with my project so…”

Soonyoung suddenly stops in his tracks and doesn’t answer right away. You tilt your head slightly as you look up at him, wondering if you said something wrong. He purses his lips together, his brows furrowed, as he finally speaks. “I really want to hug you right now.”

The confession catches you off-guard, blushing upon finally comprehending his words. “U-um,” you stammer. “W-well, you have my permission.”

He looks into your eyes in a way that makes blood rush to your cheeks and ears before he takes a step closer and pulls you into a hug. Your heart races wildly in your chest at your close contact, at how warm Soonyoung was, and at how he smelled like shampoo and fresh detergent. Soonyoung’s embrace is comforting and warm and you can’t help but feel slightly disappointed when he lets go with a fond smile and you shyly look down at the ground, biting back the smile threatening to tug on your own lips.

“You’re cute,” says Soonyoung, ruffling the top of your head. “Seriously cute.”

You bashfully smile at the compliment. “T-thank you. You’re cute too.”

Soonyoung scrunches his nose childishly and the expression reminds you of a hamster. He loops his arm with yours before continuing on your journey and there’s a wide smile on his face. His happy expression prompts a smile of your own as well and as the two of you walk down the well-lit path, you have a passing thought to ask him to give you dance lessons.

 

He would probably think it was a good idea.