Soulless Spawns

Blue Moon

What do you mean I'm not human. I lived my 23 years just like any other human being. Chaeyoung wanted to ask Mr. Xue more, but another customer walked in. She knew that this topic was inappropriate to discuss around strangers. She made a face of distaste and got up to leave, but Mr. Xue was already a step ahead of her; clearly ready to her out. Immediately. 

"Ms. Lee, I'll talk to you next time~" He pushed her out of his office and waved goodbye, shutting the door in her face. 

"...see you..." Chaeyoung mumbled at the closed door. She checked her watch and gasped, 9:30 already? The store opened at 10! She was going to be late! 

The customer watched as Chaeyoung rushed off, turning back only when she disappeared from her view. 

"Have you told her yet?" She inquired, sipping her tea. She watched him sigh, and continue to twirl the pen. Back and fourth, back and forth 

"No, not entirely. She's probably denying my earlier statement of her not being human." The lady raised her eyebrow at him. 

"I believe it is time for the child to know. Afterall, she's living with 7 purebloods." Mr. Xue sighed again, nodding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Chaeyoung-sshi. Your hair is a mess. Do you expect to greet customers with this type of look and attitude?" Her manager scolded her as she rushed into the store at 9:55 sharp. "Hurry up. Make yourself presentable. I don't want any customers asking me why we have a disorganized employee!" She bowed at her superior quickly before going to the change room at the back. The problem with working in high-end stores was that customers were often rich old ladies with nothing better to do than judge your appearance and file complaints. 

When the manager walked out of sight, her co-worker made a face and made a fist, silently cheering her up. Throughout the day, she couldn't help but let her thoughts drift whenever there was a lull. If she wasn't human...what was she? She clearly looked human. Plus, she had never been affected by a full moon. Let alone transform. If she wasn't human...what were her parents? Chaeyoung had been adopted at the age of 5. She only knew her biological parents through a black and white photo. Her adopted parents told her that they were involved in a freak accident and assumed dead when their bodies weren't found. Thus, she never had much interest in finding out more. There was no use in dwelling in the dead. However...if it meant that she could trace her bloodline...she was stuck. If she had surviving relatives, they would have taken her in. The fact that she ended up in an orphanage already spoke volumes. The only way to find out was to visit Mr. Xue again.

"What are you thinking about so deeply?" Miji, her co-worker and only friend in this city handed her a drink. They were sitting outside, as it was break time and they didn't want to remain in the stuffy building any longer than necessary. 

"About my parents."

Miji nodded, "Do you miss them?" She knew Chaeyoung was adopted, but didn't know much about her history. She also didn't pry, wanting to respect Chaeyoung's space. She herself was from a huge family of 8. Not including her parents and grandparents. She knew how important it was to have one's own privacy.

"Not really, they passed away when I was five. I barely have any memories of them." Chaeyoung linked arms with Miji, "but it's ok! I have my adopted parents and you always invite me over during the holidays. I was able to make a lot of memories thanks to you guys. I'm never lonely."

Chaeyoung didn't tell Miji about her dreams. She often dreamt of her deceased parents. At this point, she wasn't sure if it counted as a memory. The dream was always the same. There was fear. Footsteps. Her parents running. And lastly, her hiding. She was sure that they promised to come back for her, but never stayed asleep long enough to find out the ending of her dream.  

 

Back at the share house, Kihyun paced about. Everyone had a grim expression on their faces. When Chaeyoung came back, she was surprised to see them all gathering in the living room. Usually, at this hour, a few of them would be out and the rest would be in their own rooms. 

Kihyun approached her first, "Listen, about last night..I'm really sorry. It won't happen again." She could see how upset he was. His voice was no longer laced with an air of self-pride and his tone was genuine. When she forgave him, he thanked her and pulled her to sit together with the rest of them in the living room.  

"It happened again, this is the second time in a month." 

"What happened...again?" Chaeyoung was confused at everyone's solemn expressions.

"A beast was murdered." Hyungwon answered her, then turned back to the others,"The spawn wouldn't have moved far. We should get going."

"Spawn?" What the heck were they talking about.

"The thing that attacked you on the night you moved in with us. That's a spawn. They don't have souls, so they kill beasts for them." Wonho fidgeted, "We waited for you to come home first, but we have to go out now." 

"I don't think it's safe to leave a cat alone in the house. She might get attacked." Shownu noticed the goosebumps rising on her skin. 

"Leave Kihyun with her then."

"How much protection do two stray cats have together." 

"I'm not a stray, you filthy canine." Chaeyoung flitted her eyes back and forth between the bickering boys before deciding to step in. 

"Can't I just go with you guys?"

Sighing, Wonho agreed. It was probably safer to stick together. "Alright, then. Let's go!" as they piled into the van, Changkyun called shotgun. Shownu let him; slipping into the driver's side.

"I get motion sickness though!"

" it~" Changkyun turned around and stuck his tongue out. 

While the mood seemed playful, they all knew that they weren't going on a road trip for fun. During the car ride, Jooheon tried to work his charm on Chaeyoung. He demonstrated his aegyo and caused his hyungs to gag. 

"Eww, hyung you stink." Changkyun commented from the front and Minhyuk reached over to high-five him. Jooheon puffed out his cheeks, pouting. 

"Y'all don't know the art of entertainment."

Chaeyoung smiled, "It was cute." Jooheon shot her a heart in thanks. She was glad that they were acting so cheerful around her. It distracted her from the fear she felt in her gut. The glowing red eyes she saw that day were not from her hallucinations but that of a murderer. 

"We're here," Shownu turns around and starts giving orders, "everyone be alert at all times. Stay together and do not wander from your groups. Kihyun, you come with me. Jooheon with Changkyun. Hyungwon and Minhyuk. Chaeyoung, I think it's safer that you go with Wonho." He nodded, and they got out of the van. Chaeyoung followed the others to the back of a building. The air around them seemed dark and menacing. When they reached the site, each group looked for different traces. Footprints, scents, blood, anything that could give them a lead. This place looked like the perfect place to commit a crime. It was hidden from the busy streets and there were intricate paths, weaving behind more tall buildings; all of them connected. It would also make it easy to escape from multiple paths, Chaeyoung noted this while looking around.

"Stick with me, don't wander." Wonho lead the way and occasionally told her to walk faster when she fell behind. Suddenly, he stopped and put a hand behind him.

"What is it?"

"Blood. Still wet." He called for Kihyun's attention, who was standing the closest to him. Then he turned to Chaeyoung, and ushered her to join Kihyun and Shownu,"Go ahead, I'll watch your back." When she reached Kihyun, Wonho turned and swiftly ran off. 

"Where's he going?" 

Kihyun tugged at her arm, "To seek out the spawn on his own. Come on, let's see if we can get clues from real stray cats around here." Chaeyoung must have looked confused, so he clarified,"We're going to see if we can talk to some of the animals living in the alleys." Oh right, he probably speaks cat...She nodded numbly, not wanting to say anything that would give away the fact that she was not a cat...or a beast. They walked side by side, when she heard something rustle. Her heart raced when it was followed by the sound of shuffling, coming neither from Kihyun, Shownu or her. She could tell it was coming from behind her. With the sound of blood rushing in her ears and her heart hammering in her against her ribcage, she turned around.

A dark mass jumped out at them and she screamed, clinging onto Kihyun's arm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I didn't reveal what Chaeyoung may be~ All we know is that she isn't human hahaha. I might tell you guys in the next chapter~

Comment & Subscribe if you'd like~ I do read all of them, so thank you if you have commented because it gives me alot of encouragement <3

@hxndhxnd: Thank you ^^ If I ever write another fic maybe I'll make Hyungwon a frog ;) (LOLOLOLOL, comedy spin-off? He'd make a good frog prince kkk)

@Ok-kittylover: Thank you~~

Much Love,

toffee13