Chapter 1 - Namjoon

Rain

  The gray clouds had already started to restrict any form of  sunlight that threatened to bleed through the curtains of the small apartment. Being a person that naturally woke up early, Namjoon slowly rose from his bed and stretched, yawning as he sleepily brushed a hand through his now matted mane from sleep. 

   Turning his head, the first item that caught his eyesight was a memo pad sitting on the stand next to his bed. He squinted, almost as if trying to remember the events that took place last night. With a sigh leaving his lips soon after, he closed his eyes, “I’ll finish it today..” He mumbled to himself as he picked up the memo pad, briefly scanning over the works of an unfinished song before throwing it back down again. 


 

   He had writers block. Even so, he knew that the song was already due to be finished and he couldn’t drag it out much longer. With a lack of motivation coursing throughout his being, he shrugged. He had run out of excuses to give  already, and he knew he didn’t have an option but finish it today.

   “It’s unfinished anyway, so I’ll just make anything up.” The words dragged carelessly from his lips as he said them, glancing down once more to the pad beside him before turning his gaze to his window. His eyes slowly widened at the scene, the ambiance slowly drawing him to the window as he ambled over:

Gray. Everything was gray. Gray city, gray buildings, gray roads, gray rain.

   Unbeknownst to him, he slowly titled his head as he gazed out the window and watched as everything seemed to slow down because of the rain. Slowly placing his hand against the window, he couldn’t help but wonder how it felt; was the rain cold? Was it warm? Studying his hand print that was left behind as he removed it, he was snapped out of his thoughts from what sounded like yelling downstairs. With a small huff, he dragged himself down the steps reluctantly. 

   Walking straight for the kitchen, he glanced behind him as he headed for the refrigerator. It was noting new. His mother and younger brother were arguing because he didn’t want to wake up. He claimed he didn’t have to go to school today because it was raining, a new advantage he was able to use this morning, along with the usual, “They make us go to school way too early which doesn’t promote active learning,” and, “School is pointless. They only tell you what they want you to know and hold back the good stuff, the truth.” Even though he too had similar feeling about the school system, Namjoon knew it was pointless to even argue; school was mandatory. 

   His agonizing attempts at getting out of going to school every morning were starting to wear Namjoon down in annoyance. Finally catching himself, he stopped opening and closing the poor refrigerator door mindlessly and sighed. He knew he had to get out of there right now. Not even bothering to take an umbrella, he barely mumbled, “I’m going outside,” before heading for the door. Did they hear him? He didn’t know, nor did he even care quite frankly. He just needed peace, and that peace was out in the rain right now.

   Not caring where his feet were going to take him, he was drawn to the rain like a moth would be to a flame. Almost in a zombie like trance, he walked out his door and closed it. He stood under the awning for a moment to admire the sounds of the rain beneath him. Closing his eyes, a slow smile crept across his lips at the sounds. 

  “It’s the best background music.” he silently confessed to himself before finally steeping out fully into the rain. As his clothes and skin started to saturate quickly from the outpouring rain, he began humming an unfamiliar tune to himself as he walked aimlessly down the sidewalk. Looking at the busy street and the dark gray glare left from the clouds above, he couldn’t  help but wonder what time it was. Was it still early or had he woken up later than usual? Shrugging off his curiosity, he continued walking down the wet streets of Seoul. 


 

Writer note: I was planning on writing everyone’s part in this one, but when I realized how much detail was just in Rapmon’s verse, I decided that this would be better off as chapters. With that being said, stay tuned for the next chapter! ツ Feedback is always appreciated.