Eight

Plastic Bottles and Transparent Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8: Sticky Nights and Confrontations

    The lazy Tuesday afternoon chugged by like water dripping from a half closed water bottle. Miya was, yet again, sitting behind the counter of Cafe Ari, holding back her yawns. Her recent insomnia caused a late night and the quiet cafe certainly didn’t help her energy levels. With the newly formed couple away at summer classes and Jimin attending his weekly dance practices, she had no one to entertain her on this slow day. Usually Minjun would be around as a conversation partner, but today was one of his rare days off and left Miya as a pseudo manager for the day.

    Outside, the hot Seoul sun beat down on the sidewalks. Miya’s eyes followed each person as they passed by the storefront, mindlessly people-watching until her gaze landed on a familiar figure. She swore she had seen him somewhere before, but just as fast as he entered her frame of vision, he disappeared. Maybe a classmate or a regular? She brushed off the urge to match the face with a memory when the doorbell chimed.

    A flustered Jungkook entered the cafe and rushed towards the back where the staff room was located, barely sparing Miya a glance. She noted that he looked a bit damp - he probably ran over from dance practice and remembered that Jimin and Jungkook dance at the same studio.

    Checking the time on the clock, Miya realized Jungkook was indeed running late for his training shift. She heard him before she turned around, facing for the first time in a long time, a Jungkook who wouldn’t meet her eyes.

    “I’m sorry I’m late - I lost track of the time when I was at practice and then the bus overheated and broke down so I had run the rest of the way here and -” Jungkook muttered before he was cut off.

    “Don’t worry about it. Tuesday’s are usually slow enough that we only really need one person outside of the morning and evening rushes, but next time make sure you text me or Minjun, got it?” Miya finished with a small smile.

    Finally looking up to look at her, Jungkook responded as he rubbed the back of his head, “Yeah, sorry, won’t happen again.”

    “Good, now clock in and get ready to practice everything on the menu for the next 6 hours,” Miya finished with a chuckle.

    The rest of the shift passed without a hitch, Jungkook and Miya falling into an easy rhythm balancing orders and practicing the menu items. By the end of the night, it felt almost as if they never had a falling out. Miya felt much more comfortable in Jungkook’s presence than before. However, the peace was short lived when the door chimed after they closed down for the night. Putting aside her broom, Miya approached the front to see Soo-Kyung embrace Jungkook.

    Gritting her teeth a bit, Miya tried to remain pleasant as she called out, “Sorry, we’re actually closed right now!”

    Soo-kyung shot Miya a disdainful look and replied, “I know, I was just telling Kookie that I’d be outside waiting for him once he gets off.” Rolling her eyes, she whispered something briefly into his ear before flouncing outside.

    Miya had already started sweeping again and couldn’t bring herself to face Jungkook as she said, “It’s getting late so you can clock out and leave now if you want, I can close up the rest on my own.”

    Hearing no response, Miya busied herself, making haste in order to not leave too late. Jungkook quietly shuffled to grab his things and left without a goodbye, leaving Miya alone to the soft music playing in the background.

    It was as if the friendly exchanges during the day never happened and the awkward tension had returned. Miya tried to convince herself that she wasn’t expecting Jungkook to stay anyway. Just because he was more amicable than usual didn’t mean they wouldn’t abruptly become friends again.

    Looking at her phone, she sent a quick text to Jimin asking if he could pick her up from work since she didn’t want to walk home alone late at night. Not a minute later, she was rewarded with a cheeky response from Jimin, “Already on the way! And I have goodies too, princess.” With renewed energy, Miya hurried to finish her closing duties.

    Tying a knot on the remaining trash bags, Miya checked the lock on the front door and made her way into the back. The light flickered by the garbage can when Miya stepped outside into the humid summer air. She quickly chucked the bags into the bin and rushed back inside. The back alley always creeped her out, especially when she closed by herself. Miya was hoping Jungkook would’ve stayed long enough to throw out the trash, but she it up and began her lask look over.

    Shutting off the lights, she sat perched on the booth next to the front window. Jimin hadn’t arrived yet, so she resigned herself to checking her social media. Pulling up Instagram, she saw Soo-kyung had uploaded a story. To open or to not open… Miya eventually gave in and tapped on the girl’s icon. Immediately, an image of Jungkook and Soo-kyung at a nearby pocha popped up with a couple soju bottles and a steaming jeongeol in the background. Typical Tuesday night behavior, I guess, thought Miya. She scoffed and closed the app. That’s enough social media for tonight.

    The moon shined just as brightly as the sun had earlier in the day and there were no clouds in sight. Not quite a full moon, Miya traced the outline of the moon in the air and lowered her gaze to the neon signs that littered the streets. No matter how brightly the moon shone, it wouldn’t be able to beat the lights that blinded at eye-level. How disappointing it is that people can’t be bothered to lift their heads and see such beauty in front of them.

    Across the street, vendors selling fish cakes and rice cakes lit up along the small gated park. It was one of the few green areas around the college town, and one of Miya’s favorite spots to people-watch. She could barely make out a couple figures loitering on the benches and started day-dreaming about each of their lives. Did they go to school? Did they work nearby? Are they going through a hard time or are they happy and enjoying the summer weathe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter