Three

Plastic Bottles and Transparent Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Three: Cafe Charmers and Club Encounters

“Let’s go out.”

“What? Jimin, what kind of nonsense are you spouting out now?” Miya rolled her eyes as she sipped on her iced caramel macchiato.

“I’m serious! Let’s go out!”

“Aish, Jimin will you shut up? We’re out right now if you haven’t noticed already.” Taehyung scolded as he set his phone down on the table.”

“Okay fine. We’re technically out right now, but I don’t think sitting at Ari is the same as say, doing something fun and spontaneous.”

“So what do you suggest we do then? It’s four in the afternoon and I’m not sure I’m in the mood for something too spontaneous right before we eat dinner.” Mari replied, wrinkling her nose at the idea of leaving the comfortable booth she was sitting in.

Jimin, Miya, Taehyung, and Mari were in their favorite cafe on campus passing time before they determined when it would be reasonable to go out to eat dinner. It was rare that all of them were free at once, with Taehyung and Mari taking summer classes and Jimin and Miya both working at Bada most nights. If it were another day, Miya would be behind the counter working as the cashier and barista, sometimes moonlighting as an extra waitress, instead of sitting with her friends reading a book.

Cafe Ari was actually owned by the Choi’s, who were close friends with Miya’s family. As a result of the Lee’s and Choi’s friendship, Miya frequently helped out in the mornings and afternoons alongside the Lee’s only son, Minjun. Although he was a year older and took on his role of an oppa well towards Miya, many people often confused Miya as the noona in the relationship. Minjun had soft features from his pale skin to his chocolate-colored hair. In addition to his round, curious eyes, his gentlemanlike manners and kind personality, he was known as the “heartbreaker next door” around school because of his “boy next door” appearance and his refusal to casually date around.

Miya had already lost count how many times Minjun would receive confessions in the form of letters, baked goods, and the occasional face-to-face confrontation during work. While Miya would always feel a bit guilty for the girls who were rejected, Minjun could brighten up the atmosphere within minutes, consoling the rejected girls with a cup of hot chocolate or pastry. Minjun was the typical nice guy who girls could not get enough of, and it was a wonder why he hadn’t found a girlfriend in the years he’d been in school.

“Alright so maybe not right now, but let’s do something after dinner! When was the last time we went clubbing together guys? Like, months ago?” Jimin was excited at the prospect of a change in pace.

It was true: the four of them were busy with school or work recently and as a result, hadn’t went out partying together in a long time. Jimin thought it would be a good way to liven up the mood, especially since Miya still seemed to be affected by what Soo-kyung had said the night before. Miya hadn’t wanted to make a big deal about Soo-kyung’s words, so she decided to keep the event from Taehyung and Mari, knowing that they would definitely seek Soo-kyung out for an apology.

“Hmm...I don’t know... I still have a dinner shift tomorrow night and I don’t really have an urge to work through it with a hangover,” Miya closed her book to focus her attention on the rest of the group.

“But you’re right, we haven’t all went out in a while and it would be a nice change from all the nights in we’ve had recently…” Miya’s eyebrows scrunched together as she weighed her options.

“You won’t regret it! I can arrange for someone to look after us and everything so we’ll all be safe and sound on the way home even if we get plastered.” Jimin bounced up and down with energy as he saw Miya’s expression slowly changing from incredulous to consenting.

“Well...if you put it like that...I guess I’m in.” Miya offered an eager smile to Jimin, who was now focusing on convincing Taehyung and Mari.

“If Miya’s going, then I’ll go!” Taehyung happily decided as he turned expectantly to Mari.

“Well of course I’m going if Miya’s going! I’ve been trying to drag this girl out for weeks, but she’s been giving me the same old ‘but I have work tomorrow’ excuse!” Mari shot Miya a fake angry look as she pouted. “I knew it! She’s getting tired of taking care of my drunken self!”

Laughing, Miya responded, “You know that’s not true, Mari! I love you and your crazies - even if you get us in the most impossible situations. I just don’t want to ‘accidentally’ go in the wrong room again so you can have fun with your next victim.”

“Hey! It wasn’t that bad, right? I would have never made you go in there with me if his friends weren’t cute too!”

“Does that even make sense, Mari?” giggled Miya. “You had me talking to his friends for ages while you sweet talked the guy into buying us all drinks.”

“Girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do, babe” Mari chuckled, winking.

“Ugh, okay, enough with the girl talk. You guys can do that later when you get ready. Let’s meet up at my and Jimin’s apartment to pregame, then?” Taehyung was already texting a couple of his friends to meet him later at the club.

“Sounds good to me! Make sure you bring the parent though, Jimin. I don’t want to suddenly have to be everyone’s caretaker after we all get tipsy.” Miya gave Jimin a pointed look to show that she was serious about having someone looking over them being the deal breaker.

“Just trust me on this, Miya. I’ve got it all covered.” Jimin smiled widely with the rest of the group as they buzzed with excitement over their new plans.

« ----------------------------------

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter