Mistake

Who Knew?

“I don’t see why he’s so mean to you,” Hoseok muttered before shoving yet another handful of fries into his mouth. “It wazz an acci’ent!”

“Aish, stop eating with your mouth full,” Yoongi growled. Hoseok swallowed, flashing a bright grin before shoving another into his mouth. Suddenly he was jumping in his seat, pointing in some random direction. If they had bothered to look, it would have been obvious, not many walked past them.

“What is it boy? Little Jimmy fell down the well?” Namjoon asked, not looking at what his friend was pointing at.

“Oh no! We better go find help,” Yoongi added, ducking when Hoseok attempted to hit him.

When he had finally swallowed his food, Hobi spoke. “You’re the one who said not to talk with my mouth full!”

“You didn’t need to jump up and down like a puppy,” Namjoon replied. “What were you pointing at?”

“The devil,” Hoseok replied, pointing once again. Turning around Namjoon frowned. Why was Seokjin at his university. Surely the boy had somewhere else to be. He shook his head. The other had every right to be there, it was just unfortunate.

“Now that I think about it,” Yoongi started, “I think he’s in most of my classes. Never sits with anyone.”

“Maybe he has no friends,” Hobi added.

“That would explain a lot. Buuut, you still owe me!”

“I do not!”

“Waah, did you forget?”

“I paid you!”

“Did not!”

“Did so!” At that point Namjoon had tuned out of the conversation, only subconsciously realising that he was staring at the older boy. Yes, he was annoying, but he was sure that he would act the same way if someone had almost killed him. Once again Seokjin was adorned in pink, so much pink that Namjoon found himself getting a headache.

Shaking his head, he turned to join the conversation, but the movement caught his eye. It was subtle, yet so obvious to someone if they had paid attention. The older was nervous, fiddling with his bag and constantly looking over his shoulder. And then it happened. There weren’t many, about three or four, but they were enough to overpower the other, forcing him into the bushes. As he watched, he saw them throw punches, take his bag and tipped the contents on the ground then kick them around.

Namjoon knew he should stop them, he should help, but he could only watch. He could only watch as the group walked away, laughing their heads off and leaving the boy curled up on the ground.

“Namjoon!” Said boy finally turned back to his friends. “Were you listening?” They hadn’t seen a thing.

Yoongi shook his head. “With that look, I assume you weren’t.” Though he tried to listen, he couldn’t pay attention. Somehow he felt guilty. He really should have helped. But what could he do? And why did he care?