Shattered

Who Knew?

“You can’t be serious about this,” Hoseok muttered, shaking his head at his friend. Namjoon simply ignored him, continuing to line up the shot. Hoseok, Yoongi and him were in the local park playing basketball and Namjoon had decided that he could shoot the hoop from half way across the park. “Fifty won to say you won’t get close.”

“Fifty says he’ll overshoot it,” Yoongi mumbled, leaning back against the light pole and crossing his arms. Namjoon sighed and turned to his friends.

“It’ll go in! At the very least it’ll hit the board!”

“Then shoot,” Hoseok replied, “Or are you too chicken to go through with it?” Namjoon puffed out his chest and turned, basketball in hand. Once more he lined up the shot. He took a deep breath, then another. Finally, he threw the ball, watching as it soared through the air. They watched in silence as it moved towards the hoop, then past it and into the car park. Just when Yoongi was about to demand his money, they heard glass shattering.

“Please tell me that was a bottle,” Namjoon whispered, paler than he ever was. The boy stood there in silence, staring in the direction of the car park in disbelief.

Suddenly, Hoseok ran, dragging his friends behind him. “Whatever it is, we have to check. Can’t leave a broken windscreen for someone to find.” Arriving at the car park they were indeed met with a shattered windscreen. Their basketball was nestled in the driver’s seat and glass shards covered the interior. Next to the car was another boy, possibly paler than Namjoon had been. His hand was at the driver’s door, key in the lock.

“Excuse us!” Hoseok called, finally letting go of his friends. “Are you okay?” The boy looked away from the car and at the others with wide eyes but he didn’t reply. “Hello?” Hoseok waved a hand in front of him. Finally, the boy blinked.

“How?” he asked, staring at them. “I could have been sitting there!” With every syllable, his voice rose, eventually reaching hysterics. Namjoon cringed, pushing Hoseok away and bowing to the boy.

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to hit your car. I was trying to shoot from half way across the park, but as you can tell, I over shot it. I’ll find a way to repay you.”

“Forget that,” The boy muttered, pinching the bridge of his nose. “How am I going to get home?”

“How far is it?” Hoseok asked, “Maybe Namjoon could drive you, to pay you back?”

“And which one of you is that?” Namjoon silently raised his hand, still bowing to the boy. The boy shook his head. “No way. I was lucky not to be in the car now and there’s no way I’d get into a car if you’re behind the wheel.”

Yoongi sighed. “I can drive you, if you don’t mind being on a bike.” The boy nodded slightly.

“That’s fine. I’m Kim Seokjin, by the way.”

“Min Yoongi. That there is Jung Hoseok and you already know Kim Namjoon.” Yoongi replied. “I’ll see you guys later.” With that, the two boys left the others to head home.

“What a nightmare,” Namjoon sighed, reaching over the bonnet to retrieve their basketball. “That guy was scary.”

“I think he was just shocked. You did almost kill him,” Hoseok replied as they made their way to their shared apartment.

“Either way, I don’t want to see him again.”