Lie

Island Kingdom 1

“I… just haven’t ridden in a… while. Just give me a minute to erh… refresh my memory.”

Why did I have to lie?! I had no idea what to do. I started circling the horse multiple times but always with enough space between the horse and I not to get kicked in the face. In the end I simply just grabbed at whatever I could and finally I was up. Pretty pleased with myself I now found myself without a manual on how to steer. I took the reins but the horse wouldn't budge. Feeling silly, I started bouncing up and down a little just as I had seen other riders do but to no avail.

“Come on… Horsey. I would like to go forward. That way. Now.”

All that got me was a few nods up and down by the horse with Jongin’s laughter filling the background.

“Go! Go, go, go, go, go, go!”

“Off.”

Out of nowhere, Kyungsoo appeared next to me and jumped off his horse while looking quite displeased.

 “What?”

“Get off the horse.”

“But I…”

“I cannot have an imbecile who do not know how to ride a horse slow us down. You heard the king. Not a second to waste. Now get off!”

Kyungsoo then proceeded to drag me down and towards his own horse. After having helped me up, he sat down in front of me and forcefully put my arms around his waist. Initially, the horse frightened me but right now nothing was more scary than Do Kyungsoo.

“Hang tight and do not fall off because I am not stopping to pick you up twice.”

Abiding to he threat I squeezed my arms so hard to the point of being scared of crushing the man but if I were he showed no signs of pain. Closing my eyes in fear, I couldn’t help but reminisce the king’s hurtful face. 

-

Having ridden for quite a while we made a stop. Afraid to open my eyes I dared not let go of Kyungsoo until I heard a voice firmly telling me to let go. Hesitating, I slowly removed my arms as he jumped off the horse. Frozen, I grabbed the saddle and sat tight.

“Well, coming?”

“… I’ll just stay here.”

Before I knew it I was being yanked down from the horse and fell into Kyungsoo’s surprisingly strong arms.

“I-I…”

Kyungsoo put me down on the ground before I had the chance to thank him and scurried off towards Jongin. I couldn’t figure out whether Kyungsoo was a nice or a despicable man. I hurried after and took out the map given to me by the king.

“We should be around here, I think. That means the distance to each bridge is approximately the same. So, where do we start?”

Taking the map out of my hands, Kyungsoo studied it closely.

“We destroy the bridge furthest away from the castle first. That way we will work our way closer to the castle and to victory.”

Jongin was sitting in the grass, not a care in the world as he lay down, hands behind his head.

“Nope. Let’s destroy the one closer first.”

Snatching back the map from Kyungsoo I quickly looked at both options.

“What makes you say that, Jongin?”

“Convenience. We destroy the bridge the closest to the castle and the enemy will have to use the other bridges ergo they need to take a longer road to in the end storm the castle, right?”

“That’s true…”

 A scoff exited Kyungsoo’s mouth.

“Taking out the bridge furthest away, the enemy will have to cross paths with the king’s army who is closer to the castle. We can take advantage of that and ask for the king’s help with the last bridge!”

“The army can still help on the last bridge, they just have to walk a little further. Besides, when we’re done I will be in no hurry to go back. What do you say, Princess? Care for a leisurely holiday with me?”

“Would you take this seriously!”

Jongin stood up, dusting off his clothes.

“I am. Princess, you choose. You’re the one who has to destroy the damn things.”

 

Choose the furthest bridge - Go to chapter 4

Chose the closer bridge - Go to chapter 5