Chapter 3 - Odd

Whatever


Hyejin knocked the door several times but there's no avail. "Wheein? You there?" She turned the knob and opened the door, only to find out Wheein who was soundly sleeping at his desk. The papers, laptop and folders were arranged at the sides and there was a small space for him to doze off. This was the first time Hyejin saw Wheein sleeping at his office ever.

She walked in and shook Wheein gently, waking him up. "Hey, Wheein. Wake up!"

He stirred, eyes droopy and voice faint and husky. "Yes?"

"You took a nap here at your office. Care to share what's going on?"

Wheein sat up out of the sudden, ash blond hair spiked up, "A-Ah, it's nothing really! It's cold here and I took a nap!" He nervously said.

Hyejin's eyes went small, scrutinizing Wheein's lame excuse. "You don't usually lack sleep, dimwit. What happened?" She pushed farther.

"I...forgot to fill up the convention summit application form for visitors."

"Don't fool me, convention is next week. You still have damn plenty of time to fill that form up."

"Uh...it's better to be early, you know."

Hyejin ran her hand thorugh her face gently, feigning annoyance and irritation. "We're bestfriends since highschool, Wheein. This is the first time you denied sharing something from me."

Great, another first taken by that cheeky woman. "I..." Wheein sighed, "I'll tell you when I'm ready. What I am going through right now, is definitely outrageous." He sighed again but this time his hands ran through his messy hair, brushing it upwards.

It piqued the red haired woman's interest. "Outrageous, huh? Another new word from your dictionary?" She snickered.

"That...ugh!" Wheein growled, his expression was showing signs of complete confusion. "I'm not normal anymore, Hyejin. I swear to my cousin's gummy bears, I'm going nuts." He started to get frustrated with the event happened earlier, which was beyond his own understanding.

"Spill the gummies. Tell me." Hyejin lured him in her impeccable trap, which was really irresistable for the young man.

Wheein took a split second before deciding to consult with his fatal bestfriend, who was the fantasy of every men, Ahn Hyejin. He hoped that this very complicated matter would stay between them.

And also, he prayed that this abnormality he's experiencing would be left unnoticed by his new secretary, Kim Solar.

 



Heavy rain fell and Wheein was so unfortunate that time. He didn't bring his own umbrella. Standing at the waiting shed of the bus stop, Wheein waited for the rain to stop and if it didn't stop right away, he'll be damned late. Glancing at his watch frequently while waiting for the rain to subside, he grew impatient. He looked around the stop. He was all alone and of course, the bus wouldn't be arriving on its schedule because of the weather.

"Why is it like this," He groaned. Feeling the cold water touched the skin of his arm, Wheein immediately removed his blazer and hooked it on his dry arm. Of all unfortunate events happened to him, this was the worst. "." He silently cursed. This was getting frustrating.

After few minutes, Wheein breathed out loudly. No help, nothing good.

Then he decided to brave the partially heavy rain by the means of running. Absurd but if he had to do this just to be in his office by 9 am, he would do it willingly.

Here goes nothing! Wheein went all in; his long legs strode like a stallion under the rain and just when he thought it was still far, he arrived right at the small waiting shed. He checked himself, he was just a bit wet and his hair was a total mess.

Another run for the last bus stop. He took a long deep breath before preparing for an another risk. He wished deep inside that he wouldn't slip off on the road, Wheein needed to live.

Here goes nothing for the seco-

"Hey! Are you crazy?"

Before Wheein could transform into a raging lost horse, Solar had stopped him luckily.

"Oh! S-Solar-ssi." Wheein froze in motion, his mind had stopped working due to Solar's sudden appearance.

Solar grabbed Wheein's arm and proceeded to dry his hair with a towel she got, who knows where it came from. "Are you really my boss? You could've waited the bus to come!" She scolded him with her voice raised.

He shrugged, rather awkwardly with his back hunched up for Solar to dry properly, "I'm gonna be late." Wheein simply reasoned.

Solar stopped, her eyes darted to the hairline of his boss which was replaced by his meek golden brown eyes. "I cannot believe you are Jung Wheein."

"I know."

"Who are you then?" Solar asked, her tone almost venomous. She then started to wipe the young man's handsome face. If Solar never trained her self-control, she would've nagged his boss for a forced date. Who wouldn't date this handsome and successful young man in front of her?

Wheein lowered his gaze to Solar's white shirt, "I am Jung Wheein." He answered, his mind flying somewhere else.

"Gods, Wheein. Why are you so stubborn? Yesterday I saw you, you were right there outside the waiting shed, waiting for the sun to eat you. Now, you were running like a kid just not to be late?" Solar incredelously said.

"I don't know." Wheein simply answered.

The weather enraged; strong winds and heavy rain started to fall down and Wheein knew they'll be completely soaked if they stayed there. He grabbed Solar's arm and gently tugged her towards his side, his hand laid down on the woman's shoulder.

"Come on, let's enter the cafeteria until the rain stops." Wheein said.

Where did Solar last saw these kind of scenes? Oh, when she last watched a romantic movie where the man had always taken care of his girl in the end, no matter what kind of dumbness the man did. It was so cliche but she didn't mind. As long as the moment lasted, Solar would enjoy it. Especially with the presence of her newfound crush, his boss, Jung Wheein.

"O-Okay!" Solar tried to hide her flustered expression but Wheein noticed it, an odd feeling brewing inside his heart. "L-Let's go?"

Wheein covered her shoulders with his black blazer, ensuring that Solar wouldn't feel cold. "Yeah, let's go."

His messy wet hair brushed up, his milky white flawless skin defined his medium sized eyebrows. The best part was his mesmerizing golden brown eyes shining with an unreadable emotion. He averted his gaze and she didn't know why. They started to rush inside the cafeteria, the smell of cinnamon and coffee feasting on their senses.

He let Solar come in first before himself, bells ringing and the very familiar barista took their attention.

"Unnie!" Sowon shouted, stopping on her tracks as she saw her sister enter the cafeteria all of the sudden.

Solar smiled, brightness emnated from her whole being like a sun. "You brat! I thought you were a night shift?"

"Yah! That was last week!" The younger girl whined, pouting her lips like a child.

This was what Wheein wanted to change the most; being weak with cuteness. He himself hated being appealing to the eyes of the public. Then why couldn't he hate the same thing as being cute and acting cute? Deep inside, he cringed and felt his heart fluttered with the barista's antics.

Wheein chuckled quietly but the two pair of eyes darted to him like they saw a ghost.

"Mr. Jung!" Sowon exclaimed.

"Yes?" Wheein replied automatically, his mind was still on the cringing cute act of the barista.

"You guys are dating?"

Solar and Wheein blushed furiously, their eyes widened with surprise, "We're not!" They said in chorus.

"Then why is Unnie wearing your blazer?"

"I'm just worried she'll get wet from the rain." Wheein simply replied.

Deep inside, Solar craved to hug his sweet boss right there but her little sister was also there; she could be labelled again as a creep. Professional act first, Solar thought.

"Thank you, Wheein..." Solar muttered, hiding her reddish cheeks from the view of the young man.

Sowon invited the two adults in the cornermost part of the cafeteria, which was near the counter. They sat down and Sowon left the two with their orders in hand.

"I don't really get this, Solar-ssi." Wheein said, his face showing confusion. His hair was partly dried and messily brushed upwards, not ideal for work.

They were at the cafeteria and no one would know if Solar tried to fix his boss's look right now, right? Solar stood up from her seat and leaned forward, reaching for Wheein's messy hair. "Hold on a second." She said.

Her slender hands brushed on his scalp, gently combing the silky hair on the side. Solar finished fixing his hair, hopefully she perfectly did the usual hairstyle of his boss. She sat down, leaving a small sigh.

"Why do we always meet on times like these?" He said, calm and curious.

"I don't know either, this was the fifth time we met and it's a straight week right?" Solar earned a hesitant nod from Wheein. "Let it be. It's better if we got each other's back, do you agree?" She asked sweetly.

Wheein was enticed deep inside but his face showed no emotions, "Yeah...I think you're right. Thanks for getting yourself with trouble." He deadpanned, hands brushing on his face with disappointment. "I'm always causing trouble on people. I'm sorry." His hands weakly fell on the table while looking directly at Solar's eyes.

"I don't mind actually. You're my boss and even in the outside of the building we both together work in, we are friends and friends help each other, right?" Solar happily said, her smile reaching the depths of Wheein's void heart.

Friends. What...exactly is the "friends" she's talking about? Something inside Wheein triggered, causing him to frown. "A-Ah, yes. You're right." He averted his gaze to the table, lowering his head.

Not this again. It's happening again. I'm done already with this crap. Wheein laid his hands on his lap. He didn't want Solar to see his hands clench angrily for a damned reason.

I should get away from her as early as possible. "You see, I'm delighted that you treat me as your friend but I'm sorry to say that I'm treating you only as my secretary. I'm sorry again." He stole a glance from Solar, her expression was obviously hurt.

Less friends, less involvement. Time to act for the better. He had said this line a thousand times and he was sure that everyone avoided him in the end.

But he did not expect this answer coming from Solar.

"I know that we just met a week ago but may I open up something to you?"

Wheein was taken aback, his anticipation died down and oddly, he felt excited. "You just said it yourself, Solar-ssi. We just met a week ago." He reasoned.

"First, don't call me with honorifics. Solar would do. Second, don't you want me as your friend? Time isn't something big between friendships. Third, why so shy? I'm not gonna bite. You're always like this since on the first day we worked together." Solar said, her tone was a dead worry.

Wheein sighed, "Solar, you see, I'm a private person. I tend to work better alone. I'm not saying that I don't need someone's help. I just want to keep my life in a low profile. And reagrding to my shy atittude, I'm not an expressive person." He stated.

"See! You opened up a bit! Since you opened up to me, considerably, I will share something about my life too!" Solar said, her bright smile appearing again.

Wheein already gave up on his plan to throw away Solar. Bet it didn't last long, he was really a real softie. "Okay, okay fine." He sighed. His hands relaxed and re the table.

"Promise me we will be friends forever, even if the time stops or even in the afterlife!" Solar childishly offered her pinky finger, waiting to be knotted by Wheein.

"What kind of childish antic is this?" Wheein chuckled, "Okay, okay. I promise." He knotted his pinky finger to Solar's, sealing their almost ridiculous promise.

But everything around the two seemed to stop. Sowon was already approaching with their orders on the tray, frozen in motion with a greeting smile.

The old woman who entered the cafeteria was frozen in motion too, the chiming bells left in the air hanging.

The heavy rain stopped, big droplets of water frozen in mid-air.

Everything was frozen in motion.

"W-What the...?" Wheein cursed.

Something not normal happened today and Wheein never knew what was happening.

"Hey!"

He looked at his front, only to see Solar smiling again to him like she didn't know what's happening around them.

"S-Solar?"

Wheein felt dizzy and when he blinked, a flash of worry crossed Solar's face.

Everything went black.

 

What just happened?


Late update, oh how I wished school was kind to me. HERE GOES THE TWIST~