Chapter 2 - Giddy

Whatever

 

"I'm not applying for an Aviation course, Mom. I want to follow my own dreams." Yongsun groaned.

That time, she wanted to yell at her parents for not understanding their own daughter but even if she twisted the world and angles in the situation, Yongsun was still their daughter. Maybe they wanted or expected something big and she failed to meet them.

She was torn between the two life choices; meet the expectation and regret in the end or follow your dreams and live alone.

Yongsun already knew the answer.

"Yongsun, this is for your own good! Don't waste an oppurtunity like this. You had the scholarship at Seoul University and you're just letting it go, like that? We didn't raise you to be wasted!" Her mom exclaimed, obvious disappointment was evident in her tone.

Yongsun knew that people don't live to meet someone's standards nor expectations. They live to be the main character of their story. What part of a simple life lesson did her parents never understood?

"I will never take that scholarship. I will live to make my dreams come true. And even if you, my parents, would interfere with this simple dream that their daughter wanted, I will start to live independently. I'm done living with your ideals, pushing me like I was some kind of clay you could mold all you want whenever or whatever you desire." Yongsun said with conviction, her heart was thoroughly hurt between her parents and her words. She never said words like this ever and this was the first time but the feeling was different. She felt strong with standing up for herself and oddly, no guilt creeped her heart.

"Kim Yongsun! Watch your words or you'll be damned! We don't have a daughter like you, speaking ill to us! Take it back or else you'll never be able to see us again, you stubborn child!" Her dad stood up from silence, his voice was louder and fiercer than usual but Yongsun stood still, never faltering from her father's threats.

"I won't take it back. I'm always ashamed that I had parents like you two." Yongsun took strides upstairs and packed her clothes and belongings with haste. Her parents started to shout vulgar words, as per usual for her. After a moment, she finished packing. She hooked her backpack and wore her hoodie before going downstairs.

"Forget you had a child. Pretend that you never had a child, that's better." Her harsh words was left in the air, leaving the house without a proper goodbye.

 


 

Her darkest moment was forgotten as she went under a new name, Kim Solar. She based it with her real name, which was pretty relevant to her façade. Jolly, bright and beautiful, just like the sun. Everyone loved her. She was the closest being to a perfect ideal woman to men. Every men she met told the same thing; she was like a goddess.

"Solar unnie, why are you smiling like a fool?" Sowon asked, her eyes judging the elder with accusing looks.

But this man, who was always ahead of her everytime she buys coffee at the cafeteria, was totally different. The way he looked at her was...completely blank. His face was completely unreadable. Solar was like a goddess, yes and she lived it up since she was treated like that. But that reaction? It offended her a bit.

On the other hand, that man was a big turn on. He awkwardly offered his arm while carrying the umbrella and they looked like lovers under the rain. He's a real gentleman and Solar just confirmed that his name was Jung Wheein. 

"Shut up. I'm just thinking." Solar replied, her paperworks done and left at the table.

"Thinking about Mr. Dullness? Yah unnie! He's the Vice CEO of the company you applied!" Sowon shouted, suddenly standing up from studying, her glasses bounced in disarray.

Solar could only gasp. "Wait, you're not joking me again, are you?"

"I'm not, unnie! I saw him with his colleagues in the cafeteria and I heard his recent promotion. He's the right hand of the Hong Inc.! Trust me." Sowon lifted her palm up, swearing her words with truth.

"That man...yesterday I met him under the rain and I didn't know that it was him at first. He let me shelter with his umbrella and he kindly walked me to the bus stop." Solar said, her heart thumping like crazy because of the newfound information.

Solar went to her table and rummaged the papers until she found the approval letter of transfer. It was there, his name, with his signature that looked exquisite and complicated at the same time. Then she saw the position underneath his name. Small fonts illustrated "Assistant CEO" and it confirmed everything. It was real. Jung Wheein will be her boss, starting tomorrow.

What is he like? Is he like Mr. Grey, wild and hot? Or maybe-

Solar shook away her nonsense thoughts. She didn't know. Now she felt damn nervous. She would never forget how she poked Wheein's dimple out of nowhere. She felt embarassed, cheeks heating up because of two things: Wheein's adorable dimple and her shameful closeness to her future boss. For her, it was a very, very bad move to start an impression. He would think of her as a shameless and unprofessional.

"Unnie! Are you okay?" Sowon stepped forward to check Solar's forehead but the elder raised her hand, telling her to stop. "I'm fine, just continue studying," Solar ordered.

"Let me guess, you will be working with him tomorrow, right?" Sowon teased.

"Yah! Mind your own business, you brat!" Solar grabbed a pillow and hit Sowon, catching her guard off.

They both hit each other like there was a chicken fight, feathers flying everywhere and loud yet muffled laughters roamed the sibling's room. Time had passed and they both collapsed on the bed, tired and breaths catching each other.

"You brat." Solar breathed out.

"Unnie likes Mr. Dullness. I'm disappointed with your tastes." Sowon stated. "Just turn Eric down. That man is nuts." She added.

"I guess you're right about that." They both turned their head sideways, meeting each other's gazes. As if there was an invisible link between them, they laughed in sync, hearts relayed into one.

 


 

"Uh, hi?" Wheein awkwardly greeted, his smile was totally awkward too. He just couldn't believe that Kim Solar was the new secretary that Krystal was talking about. Wasn't this just a pure coincidence?

Solar smiled back, trying to shake off Wheein's uneasiness, "Good morning, Sir!" She smiled bright and Wheein averted his gaze somewhere; if he continued to look at the woman's smile, he would have been gawking at her right now, which is pretty bad.

"Uhm, no one calls me Sir here. I prefer being called with my name, Wheein." He simply replied, his hand nervously scratching his nape and eyes wandering somewhere else. It was an adorable sight for Solar's eyes to feast on, but because they were at the building she had to hold back.

"Well, okay, if you insist." Solar tucked some strands of her hair behind her ear, "I'm looking forward on working with from now on, Wheein." She beamed, her arms crossed and her gaze fixed on the shy latter. Wheein knew Solar was looking at him and he was damn embarassed being a mess in front of his new secretary. This is not good, Wheein thought.

The elevator rung and opened. "Ladies first, Solar-ssi." Wheein calmly said.

The way Wheein said her name gave Solar chills to her spine. His voice was husky and low and she found it so attractive to her ears. It sounded so right that she wanted Wheein to say it forever. But then she realized she was thinking nonsense, more like inappropriate. Wheein was her boss and she should better work professionally.

Solar stepped out but the small shiver she made never went unnoticed by Wheein.

"Are you cold?" Wheein stepped forward, taking off his blazer quickly and covered Solar's shoulders, "The weather's cold, isn't it? Just use it as you wish. Let's go." He walked ahead with his heart beating like crazy again, but he never felt nervous, unlike last time. Why is that? What is this eerie feeling that I feel like it could almost kill me in seconds?

Solar followed, observing the man's broad back. This was the back she always encountered and this time, it felt different. It was like the first time she saw him but with new feelings. She wanted to admit but she wasn't sure of herself either. It was utterly confusing.

They arrived at the office departments and Wheein took a turn, walking towards to Solar's new area; her new office where his cousin Krystal used to be. He turned the knob and opened the door. Solar walked in first before Wheein followed, closing the door as he entered. "Here's your office. I hope you like it." He simply introduced.

"Hey, Wheein." Solar called. She turned around and faced Wheein, who was 4 inches taller than her. She couldn't help herself but to look upwards

Wheein hesitated to look at her but the fact that he was acting like a lost kid made him look directly right at Solar's eyes. "Yes?" He stiffly said.

"I hope we'll click together." Solar "confidently" said, her bright aura exuded around the two people inside the office, them. She knew her brightness was always a one-sided benefit; no one knows how nervous she is right now. She looked directly at Wheein's eyes, which were widened like he saw a ghost.

"Let me be honest, Solar-ssi. I know we're going to work together for who knows long, well your contract said no end. And the fact that..." Wheein tried to find the right words in his vocubulary but at some point, he knew he at describing beautiful women. All he wanted to say was he wanted Solar to be a bit simpler than she was right now because even if she wore plain clothes or even pajamas, she would totally look like a goddess. "You are good looking, yes and I know, and also I don't want people to look at you like they had malicious intents you know. I'm just concerned as your boss." His mind completely sputtered nonsense but luckily his trained mouth filtered everything. He then averted his gaze and took a glance on his watch, showing 8:56 am on time.

Solar chuckled. She was surprised of Wheein's mess. "Oh, thank you, Wheein! I'm sorry but they'll probably see me with my boyfriend. It's already settled." 

Settled? "O-Oh, I see!" Wheein scratched his nape awkwardly and chuckled nervously, "I guess I need to go. See you tomorrow." He felt heaviness in his heart. Why is it like that? Wheein got out of the office room and took a long, deep breath.

If he heard it right, Solar said that she was going to get married. That's nice, but why did I get...this so absurd? That woman took many firsts from me! First gawk, first gaze, first woman whom I gave my whole attention and first abnormal heart pace! What is this feeling? Wheein sighed and when he was about to take a step forward, he noticed the glass panes around him was filled with raindrops outside. Sound of heavy rain fell, the atmosphere and his feeling was filled with sadness.

It rained again. This odd feeling. It felt like I received a bad news.

Why is it a bad news?


I managed to finish this chap despite of flooding projects and homeworks. BUT THEN I SURVIVED! Thanks for reading! Next chap, maybe next Tues?