Chapter 1 - Changes

Whatever

 

"Black coffee, no sugar. I'm getting late so please rush it a bit, please?"

Wheein looked at his watch, it was already 7:34 in the morning. He ensured his organized plan to flow smoothly if the barista decided to move a bit faster than usual.

The barista named Sowon, according to the small tag on her left side of her chest nodded with a small smile before leaving the counter area with haste. Deep inside, Wheein was thankful that the circumstances went with him every single time. Not to mention people were "good" to him, also.

What happened yesterday? Wheein never bothered to reminisce. He just lived by the sense of normality, nothing thrilling and intensifying moments included. Byul and Hwasa managed to handle his dullness. Somehow, this man had his own taste of coffee. They expected it to be fancy but they went too far; it was black coffee.

Speaking of black coffee, the barista came back with a cup of smoking hot coffee on her hand. She handed over the cup to Wheein and a scribbled word was on its cup: "Mr. Dullness". He snickered and gave the barista a smile before rushing outside the cafè.

"That cheeky kid. She treated me again." Wheein shook his head amusingly with a plastered grin on his face.

Crowds of people cross the road and Wheein made way to the swarm of people crossing. The daily cycle was always like this. Black coffee from the cafè, rushing outside to cross the usually crowded pedestrian lane and go to the office building where he actually works.

To be honest, he was contented with his life. He couldn't ask for more. Two friends and himself was enough and he didn't want to have more friends because the less you involve, the less damage you'll get. That was Wheein's motto in life.

-

"Congratulations, Mr. Jung Wheein for the promotion!" Mr. Hong greeted while the other workers cheered for him.

Wheein smiled, his charming dimple appeared to surface, "Thanks. I wouldn't get the promotion without your help guys."

"Don't worry about us! Just help us back by revising our reports," Byulyi retorted, her smile scrunched up her nose muscle adoringly.

"Okay, okay. I'll do my best at the Assistant CEO position. Thanks again, guys." Wheein bowed and laughed heartily along with his colleagues.

Everything is fine. I'm so damn happy for life.

"Cheers to the new Vice CEO, Jung Wheein!"

-

Rain fell down hard. Wheein stared at the windows, falling drops of rain deflected. It was 6:12 pm in the evening and obviously, he was hungry and tired from working.

"Sir, here are some snacks." Krystal laid down some chocolate snack bars and a can of grape juice on the office table. "Don't stress yourself too much, Sir. I guess today's rough?" She asked.

"Probably, Krystal." Wheein grabbed a bar and opened it with his mouth, the torn wrapper fell on the table. "I don't mind though. It was always rare to get oppurtunities like this. Why would I miss?"

"Your thinking is too materialistic or I should say, pretty normal for living people." Krystal wandered around the office and picked up some stray crumpled papers on the carpet floor before throwing it to the nearby garbage. "I'm not just Sir Hong's secretary and also your secretary. I'm also your colleague. We shared some experiences. If you think like that, you'll regret it in the near end." She added.

Wheein stopped himself from eating. He looked at Krystal, his face completely unreadable. "Thrilling things spice up lives. Why not let yourself encounter something adventurous?" Krystal stood at the windows, droplets sliding downwards and gray skies thundered lowly.

"I guess I can't find thrill in life?" Wheein muttered. He took a small bite before speaking once again. "I'm contented with life. I have what I need and I help who are in need. Isn't that the stage of life where you don't want to ask for something more?"

Krystal looked back, her eyes feigning disappointment. "Whatever pleases you, Jung Wheein. You live to solve problems, not to be contented with a dull life."

She had a straight and solid point, and it hit Wheein hard. Why didn't he try something else? Something else than contentment? He couldn't answer. But the stand was strong; he still felt contented but it faltered for a bit.

Did he want something more or else?

"I'm fine, Krystal. You should go now, you wasted 10 minutes in my office. I could've ran out there for a coffee." Wheein said, the chocolate bar was finished and the wrapper was tossed at the nearby trashbin.

"I'm telling you this because I'm resigning."

Wheein's eyes went wide, shock and attention directly at Krystal. "Did I hear it right? You are resigning?" His tone showed disbelief. He was beyond overwhelmed. It was all of a sudden bad news.

"I am. I have better plans in life with Byulyi. You know that she has a sturdy place in this company and we plan to build our lives, our family." Krystal strutted to the door, the tapping of the heels roamed the office. "Take example from us, you . Change for the better." She turned the doorknob and exited, leaving Wheein quiet and speechless.

Family...lovers...

Wheein was in deep thought. Never the two words bumped his mind ever since he finished his studies. What was his goal again? To have a stable job and life. That was it. Was there something else?

There was none.

There was something off inside him that he couldn't think for himself having kids, new home and...a wife. Was that the thrill in life Krystal was talking about? He didn't know but it piqued his curiousity. What was it like to have a family? A lover?

He could never know unless he wanted it.

His hand rustled through the papers and there was a red folder underneath the chocolate bar. Interested, he picked it up and fiddled it open. It was Krystal's resignation letter with Mr. Hong's signature. Only Wheein's signature was left for it to be done.

"I wish you the best, my cousin."

-

"See you sir! Get home safely!" Hwasa waved goodbye to Wheein who was arranging his table mess. He waved back and gave her a thumbs up, signing a good job.

It was a rainy day, no doubt. The rain was falling hard and he needed to catch the last ride of the bus. Wheein was almost finished when his phone vibrated, probably a message from Byulyi who obviously would cancel the dinner meeting with the association.

His eyes had caught glance of the time, it was already 8:09 in the evening. The weather was still raging but the bus will arrive at 8:25. He finished arranging, his hands clutched to the umbrella and suitcase. Turning off the lights and rushing down the elevator, he left the office with a day of work already done.

Wheein was alone in the elevator. It was a silent ride, faint humming of machine from the elevator had been going in his ear for a moment. After a minute, the elevator stopped at the first floor. 

"Oh, Sir! Going home alone eh?" The guard at the reception waved, happily greeting the young man.

"Ah, yes. Do you mind?" Wheein walked towards to the reception, grabbing an umbrella from the stand. The guard just smiled as a reply, "Not at all. I'm a night shift in case you didn't know, Sir."

"You are Im Jaebum, right? I heard your good records from your previous companies you had worked on and I'm stil wondering why did you apply here? You had other choices besides us." Wheein asked.

"I wanted a higher salary for my family, Sir. My newly born child needs extra work and I'm the breadwinner of my family." Jaebum answered, his eyes sparkling with hope and determination.

Wheein was observing the guard's reactions to his almost nonsense questions. He saw happiness inside the guard's eyes. If he could have the family that Jaebum was talking about, will he feel happy too, just like he was contented with his life?

"Oh, I see. I wish you the best, Jaebum." Wheein could only reply, his mind flying off to the curious thoughts of having a so-called family.

Jaebum immediately noticed Wheein's interest on the topic and deep inside he wanted Wheein to experience what was it like to have someone to lean on. He had heard many news about Wheein. If he was right, Wheein lost his parents at an early age and he never felt the essence of having a family.

But who is he to interfere? He could only give some useful and life-changing advices.

"I hope you'll find the one for you, Sir." The guard smiled brightly to Wheein contagiously that the young man smiled back too.

"The one?" Wheein asked, his smile never faltered.

"Love moves in mysterious ways, Sir Jung Wheein." Jaebum lowered his cap and smiled even brighter to Wheein. He turned to his monitor screens and left Wheein with a lot of questions inside his head.

Love? What is love? It moves in mysterious ways? Wheein never knew.

Leaving his thoughts aside, he opened his umbrella and even if he was wearing a suit, the cold breeze of air hit his skin hard. He shivered for a bit but then he started to brave the stormlike rain.

Few steps forward and he was now outside the building. Few people could be seen from afar and he was sure that-

"Oh! Hey, may I shelter here for a bit?" A young woman went under the umbrella with him, her silky hair was thrown back to the side and faced Wheein with seemingly confident poise.

A young woman, estimatedly the definition of a beauty-no. She's a goddess that came down by the blessing of God. Her chocolate brown eyes bore mine as I slowly avert my eyes to her all business suit: miniskirt, white shirt and black blazer. Her skin was milky white that he thought he saw some resemblance with a marshmallow. He must be crazy.

This was the first time he had gazed his eyes onto a woman like this. Certainly, her beauty was stunning and he couldn't stop himself from gawking. She was absolutely an eye catcher.

"Uh, hello? Are you there?"

Breaking from his delusional trance about marshmallows, Wheein jumped a bit, "Ah, yes!" He frowned his eyebrows in embarassment but then he relaxed himself for the woman in front of him.

"Thank you so much! I'm about to go to the bus stop. Are you going there too?" She asked.

"Yeah. Let's go?" Wheein offered his arm for the woman to cling on, well obviously the umbrella wasn't enough for the two of them. Even though they just met each other, Wheein felt like they had known each other for ages that he could these such kind of help. Was it just like that? Wasn't this what people call "click"?

But why did it feel so different? Was he just assuming things?

The young woman clung onto his arm, tight but not suffocating. They started to walk in a slow pace until the silence between them broke. "Hey, I always see you at the cafe. Are you often there?" She asked.

"Uhm, yes, how did you know?" Wheein asked back, not aware of his words right now.

The young woman giggled, "Don't take me wrong, I saw you there almost everyday. You are...Jung Wheein, right?"

Wheein was surprised, his golden brown eyes twinkled, "How did you know, for the second time?" He incredelously asked.

"I always found it odd, but everytime I order coffee, you were always right ahead of me that I almost memorized your back. It's just coincidence, I think. Do you find it odd?" The young woman said.

Wheein's mind went into two separate sides. The first one said the young woman was obviously a stalker and the other one says maybe she was saying her thoughts. He went to the second one for no definite reason.

"Oh, I see. Actually, I don't find it odd. Probability never ceases to amaze us." He answered with a grin, his dimple appeared adorably.

"Ooh! Cute!" The young woman complimented. Before Wheein knew it, the young woman's finger was on his dimple, poking it gently. "I find this adorable." She mused.

This woman was so childish, in a good way. It was the complete opposite of her exquisite goddess-like looks. Wait, what was her name?

"Oh! I live near the bus stop and it looks like the rain had subsided. We were so occupied that we didn't notice!" The young woman started to laugh, it was like lively orchestral music in his ears. What kind of magic did this woman learn for me to make me think like this?

"You live there?" Wheein pointed the dorm-like building, decent in his practical taste.

"Yeah! Before I forget, my name is Kim Solar. Thank you again!" Solar walked away from the umbrella with a bright smile. It reflected the sunlight with her whole being. She was like the sun, so bright and warm.

And this...eerie feeling. I feel...light and odd. Wait, something isn't normal. Why does my cheeks heat like an oven?

And why? Why does my heart beat like crazy?


2nd chap fire away after 2 days. School first! AND WELCOME BACK MY HOLY LAPTOP-
I'm sorry I had to cut Friday Night right where they should meet. GIVE ME some comments so I can crack my laptop some chaps!

-AM