Chapter 11

A Long Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joonmyeon is not so surprised that the doctor took the news rather calmly when he delivered them to him. Zitao has been sitting restlessly by their side as they spoke in the privacy of Chanyeol’s office, and for once, Joonmyeon didn’t have much to deal with ever since he started gathering everyone up and breaking down the news. Even the self-professed manly man Luhan cried when he learned of the news. Still, one could clearly see the sadness and pain flickering in his eyes, but Chanyeol took the news calmly and sat back in his chair, his gaze focused on a picture frame on his desk.

Joonmyeon could only guess whose picture it is.

Zitao nudges Joonmyeon, tilting his head wordlessly at the unusually quiet giant in confusion and worry. Each and every one of them knew that Chanyeol is never one to be quiet for too long but Joonmyeon understands because even though he’s dealt with deaths before (animals count as they have lives as well), Yifan is an old friend and despite the small crack in their relationships, everyone’s been praying for his recovery.

“I…” Chanyeol begins, his voice cracking in the end. He clears his throat and crosses his arms over his chest. “I predicted this day would come, to be honest,” he reveals. Zitao gasps at that and Joonmyeon takes his hand and gives it a tight, assuring squeeze. It’s Chanyeol’s time to talk, and Joonmyeon prefers if the guy lets out everything he needs to say. “I guess I was prepared for it. As you can see, I’m a doctor – an animal doctor, but still in the medical field nevertheless – and I saw this coming. Yifan has been asleep for so long, and I knew that it would take a damn miracle for him to suddenly wake up after four years.”

Joonmyeon nods. “But we couldn’t help but hope, right?”

“Right,” Chanyeol says and sighs. “When are they going to pull off the machine?”

“Soon.” Three more days, his mind supplies and he quietly says it out loud for Zitao and Chanyeol to hear. They both visibly paled at that. “I asked for some time to bring you guys together. Yifan–Yifan would’ve wanted that.”

“Thanks, Joon.” Chanyeol says quietly.

“Yeah, Joonmyeon. Thanks for going around to come find us,” Zitao pipes in. Joonmyeon feels really touched. “You shouldn’t have to be doing that. We–We should’ve known better than to just disappear without a word.”

“Let’s not do that again,” Joonmyeon suggests with a smile.

“Sounds good,” Chanyeol chuckles before taking a deep breath and sitting straight. “So, assuming that ByunBaek hasn’t barged in my office and caused a scene either here or at my apartment, I’m guessing he’s still in the dark about all this.”

“We were hoping you could tell us where he is,” Zitao says. “We know for sure that you guys would still be in contact.”

Chanyeol scoffs at that. “You kidding me? Baekhyun would die without me,” he says, picking up his iPhone that has been laying on the desk with a smirk.

“I think it’s the other way around though,” Joonmyeon pipes in and chuckles when Chanyeol glares at him.

 

 

***

 

 

Joonmyeon drives Zitao back to the hospital so he could get his car, drive home and rest for a little while before going back to sit by Yifan later that night. Chanyeol parks his car in the vacant spot where Zitao had parked his car before jumping into Joonmyeon’s, strapping himself in at the front passenger seat.

“You sure you don’t want to go up and see Yifan for a bit?” Joonmyeon asks.

Chanyeol sighs and nods his head. “I’m going to wait for Baekhyun,” he says. “I don’t think I’d be able to stop myself from bawling if I walk in there alone.”

“Everyone should still be in Yifan’s room,” Joonmyeon says as he backs away from the parking lot. “Luhan, Minseok, Jongdae, Kyungsoo–”

“Kyungsoo? He’s here?”

“Yeah. He’s the first to know about this after me,” Joonmyeon tells him as he drives to the next meeting place. “Kyungsoo is a frequent visitor of Yifan’s too. He would usually come visit in the early morning before he has to leave for his schedule or late at night when his schedules end. Which is why I never bumped into him until recently.”

“Kyungsoo’s doing so well now,” Chanyeol says admirably. “I watched that movie of his – what’s it called? ‘Pure Love’, was it? – and it was so amazing and heart breaking! His acting was just…” Chanyeol chuckles and shakes his head in disbelief. “Who knew that the petite and adorable penguin would be such a big star that he is now. “Baekhyun is obsessed with that drama he acted in too.”

“’It’s Okay, That’s Love’?”

“Yeah, that one. Make a left turn here,” Joonmyeon carefully drives to the next turn as instructed. “I cried a lot watching that drama,” Chanyeol admits shyly, earning a small chuckle from Joonmyeon. “Stupid Baekhyun for mak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter