Chapter 3 - Kyu's Whereabouts

Requiem for A Dream

(Kyu's POV)

You have got to be kidding me. I'd just been laying awake in bed last night (3 am) on my laptop (playing Starcraft obviously) when the TV had suddenly . I'd even called out to Sungmin hyung to see if he was just playing a prank on me for ignoring my body's need to sleep or whatever it was he's always whining at me about. When no answer had come, I'd paused work (battle) reluctantly and gotten out of bed to go turn it off again. But as I poked at the large power button at the bottom of the screen, the light that signaled it was using electricity had faded, but the screen itself didn't turn off. Instead, the picture went from the black and white static that had previously been showing to pure white. Well... Pure except for a simple, dark figure in the center of the screen. The figure seemed to be walking toward me. It was obvious by the way it had been walking that it was either a hunched-over elderly person or a cripple of some sort. No matter how hard I tried, I could not tear my eyes from the screen.

After what seemed like hours, the figure had finally stopped approaching. The soft sound of static hit my ear drums then. Right as my attention was drawn from the figure to the unexpected noise, the figure extended a hand as if it was reaching out for me. Suddenly, the static subsided and I swear to Shisus that someone was whispering my name.

"Real funny Min. Cut it out and go back to sleep while I try to figure out this whacky TV," I had said in a relatively calm voice.

I looked over my shoulder just to see if it really was that pesky roommate of mine messing with me. But only a desk stared back at me. There was no other life in the room. It was then that the whispering of my name continued... But from in front of me this time. I turned to find that the TV screen was back to being pure white. My eyes studied the blank screen for a few moments then. Without warning, a hand seemed to grow out of the screen.

I'll just assumed I shouted or something as the hand continued to extend out into the room before snatching me up and dragging me back to where it had come from.

~

I open my eyes slowly, blinking away the heavy feeling of exhaustion as I yawn. I try to stretch, but find my hands bound behind my back as I dangle helplessly from a wall. My head is pounding as I struggle about trying to free myself, but to no avail.

"Oh good~ You're awake~" a rather hoarse-sounding voice croons from somewhere nearby.

"W-Who are you? Show yourself! When Leeteuk hyung hears about this, you're in deep whoever you are!" I shout, scanning the room frantically for a source of the voice.

"Deep hmm? You think your hyung will want to hurt your future wife~?" the voice asks.

'WIFE?!'

My eyes snap open as wide as they'll go just as a harsh light floods one corner of the room. I instantly wince away from it as best I can, even lowering my head to try and escape the burning intensity of it.

"Now now Kyubaby~ Looks up at me~" the voice commands gently, but with an underlying hint of a beg to it.

As my eyes finally adjust to the overly-dramatic (and incredibly annoying) light, I tilt my head up. I shudder slightly as the image of an incredibly haggard, twisted, and well... wrinkly orange figure invades my vision.

"Oh, how silly of me~ I didn't need to show you my true form until AFTER the ceremony~" the witch-looking lady chides.

She reaches over for a small box on the table and wait... Is that the remote control for my TV? I merely watch in awe as she points it at herself and pushes one of the buttons. As soon as she does so, there's a sudden flash of light that had to be ten thousand times brighter than the light my eyes were tortured with earlier. I let out an agonized yelp and make many futile attempts to regain my ability to see.

"There~ All better~" a much sweeter voice practically sings out.

I have to blink rapidly to get the spots out of my vision, but eventually look back up at my obvious captor and gasp. Standing before me now is a rather gorgeous young woman with a long black braid that reached down to her waist. This girl is thin, but not too stick thin that she looks unhealthy. Her eyes are a deep shade of emerald and her skin is the color of paper. Not my ideal type, but definitely easier on the eyes than the cackling witch that had been sitting there before.

"Someone likes what he sees~ Then I'll use this form for the ceremony an-"

"My lady, there have been two strangers that were caught near the Lake of Looking. One was obviously submerged in it for quiet some time and the other claims to have saved the first from drowning," a plain-looking servant boy interrupts.

A flare of anger flashed through her eyes and she looks about ready to scream her head off at the boy, but she takes a deep breath and turns back to me with an apologetic smile on her face.

"Please excuse me darling~ I have some BUSINESS to attend to before we begin planning our perfect day~" she says, adding extra bite to the word 'business' before she stands up and rushes out of the room with the servant.