Chapter 2

AFK

I proofread this more carefully, so hopefully there's less errors! Theres a lot of dialogue now tho lmao hope y'all enjoy anyhow

*mood-setting music!* 

+-+-+-+-+

 

           Choi Seungcheol was a smart boy.

           Just as other teenagers were, Seungcheol was a bright guy who knew more than what he led on.

           But as every other budding youth, there were still things that were mysterious and foreign to him, as to anyone else.

           Why things happened the way they did, why people breathed and spoke and did the things they did- thoughts like these always invaded Seungcheol’s conscious

           One thing Seungcheol never questioned, though, was his humanity. There were a few times, much like what every other human teenager has experienced, where he would have the occasional crisis about whether or not everything was real, or perhaps just a concept created by those same people to create a sense of normality in the chaotic anomaly that is life, but he never once doubted the legitimacy of his very being.

           Seungcheol never questioned his role in life. He had everything a "normal" human teenager could want, a loving pair of parents who doted on him and took care of him, a house, and a few friends that were always down to goof off with him. He never questioned why he had been going to the same school, in the same grade, repeating the same weeks over and over again for the past 2 years, but how was he supposed to know that there was life past the high school desk? Seungcheol's life only consisted of high school, studying, tests, football, and girls. That's all he ever knew.

           It wasn't like Seungcheol never tried asking. He would bring it up at the dinner table on the rare occasion, questioning why his parents, who always seemed so concerned about him, would never mention a thing about his future.

           "Mom, dad? What do you think would be a cool job that would suit me?"

           An uncomfortable silence flooded the dinner table, as Seungcheol's father coughed and shuffled in his seat, mother neatly folding her used napkin.

           "Y'know, after I graduate?" Seungcheol's eyes scanned his parents for any sign of emotion in their eyes, an uncomfortable pressure pooling into his head.

           Seungcheol's parents exchange glances along passed plates of grilled fish. "Don't you have homework you need to do?"

 

 

           Seungcheol stopped asking after that.

           As expected, Seungcheol assumed he was trapped into being an ordinary highschool student forever. After all, he had never seen anyone from his high school technically "graduate" before, especially when every week seemed to be the exact same as the last. The only people that had jobs were the people who had jobs, and Seungcheol's parents and grandparents were always  just parents and grandparents, nothing more and nothing less.

           Every week was the same, consisting of studying and messing around with friends; Bump into a girl on Monday, practice football on Tuesday to Thursday, perhaps get confessed to on Friday, hopefully do well on any tests he may have, and repeat.

           Ah, yes- and the confessing part. Most people probably would have been elated to know that a girl or boy had feelings for them. Seungcheol had came to the conclusion long ago that this loses its novelty after a while, especially when the faces and names that are confessing to you come in so much of an abundance that they start getting blurred after a while. The youth had learnt how the pattern worked, and although he still smiled and accepted each girl's feelings with genuine happiness, he knew the relationships that were formed between him and his girlfriends (if they were close enough to even be considered that,) would never last. That was just how it worked, ever since the beginning of Seungcheol's existence.

           In the end, all these factors just piled onto Seungcheol's view of how living as an average teenager worked.

 

           One factor the "nimble" and "suave" dork didn't remember to consider was the constant state of shock every average teenager would experience when they wake up upside down underneath their mattress, smushed between the cushions and springs, as they realize "maybe I should turn down my alarm clock a few notches next time"; before tumbling and crashing onto the cold, hard-wood flooring below. Typical stuff.

           "Cheollie! Wake up! Breakfast is waiting, don't forget to give mum-mum a kiss before you leave!" A shrill but homely voice bleated from down the stairs. An irritated and shirtless Choi Seungcheol got up from his feet and sprung into action while yelling back a "Mooooom! I told you- I can't call you that anymore!" in response.

           Fast forward to a few confused shirt-holes and necktie-traps later, Seungcheol was out the door, cereal bar and bookbag in hand. Off to school he went.

           Talking to friends was just like a game to Seungcheol. You have different ways to attack a scenario, and depending on which way you choose to speak, you either get a positive or negative reaction. Already a people's person and man's man, Seungcheol was content with just saying what other people wanted to hear. It wasn't a hard feat, considering most of his friends had personalities akin to that of a wet stick, and would love to hear anything, not matter how deluded it may be.

           Boys and girls filed into the school as books, coats and bags were shoved into the lockers. As soon as Seungcheol entered the premise, an arm was wrapped around his broad shoulder, with a loose bang brushing against his cheek.

           "Cheol!" A mellow voice greeted the late boy.

           "Ahhh, Jeonghan-ah!" Seungcheol offered his hand, the other clasping it while pulling him into a brief hug. Cue the usual dialogue.

           "Almost tardy as usual, Cheollie! What was it this time? Bad back?" Jeonghan asked, slender fingers brushing stray hair behind an ear.

           "No, woke up in an uncomfortable spot again. Ma' nagged me all the way out the door." Seungcheol chuckled, responding with the same stock answer from last week- and the week before.

           "Have you heard about the new chick coming in this morning?"

           "Me? Chick? I'm flattered that you think of me in that way, Jeonghan; does that mean we're girlfriends now?" Seungcheol grins, but his joke gets cut abruptly as the beautiful young man in front of him smacks his chest a little too hard, while laughing.

           "No, ! How silly of you, you know what I mean! There's a new girl transferring in this week!" Ah, surprise, surprise. Another girl's affection he and his friends will all have to fight for. What a treat indeed.

           Detecting Seungcheol’s flicker of bitterness of his face, Jeonghan creeps up on him.

"Hey, why're you so slow today...?" He asks as he peers in from alongside Seungcheol's shoulders, confused.

           "Nothing, I'm afraid to get my heart stolen by her, just to have you steal her's..." Seungcheol said, looking off into the halls with feigned disappointment.

           "Awe, to ~" An attempted noogie was made at the taller, but after years of practice, he was able to step out in time; leaving Jeonghan to awkwardly laugh to himself.

           "Oh, hahaha, you..." Jeonghan patted Seungcheol's shoulder robotically, strained laugher continuing.

           "Yeah, me..." Seungcheol grinned melancholically as he gathered his books, watching Jeonghan start walking off empty-handed. Jeonghan got A+s regardless of studying, as that was just how "things" worked.

           "Hey-" The long-haired man looked back to his friend, and only for a second, Seungcheol was surprised at the breach in routine. Usually, Jeonghan and his' talk usually ended after the uncomfortable exchange they just had.

           "Y-yeah...?" Seungcheol muttered as he gazed at his pretty friend.

           "Maybe, if you're nice enough to me, I might just let you third-wheel on some of new-girl and I's dates!" the other winked, before sashaying off into the corridors, gazes of the student body following him as he went.

           Gee, thanks...

 

           Despite the usual show of personality that Jeonghan would occasionally exhibit, he was still considered a wet stick in Seungcheol's book. Everyone else just happened to be soggier wet sticks.

           Seungcheol leaned into his desk as he turned to the boy sitting next to him, hissing for attention. He didn't talk with anyone in this class much, but the boy still turned his head in surprise.

           "Hey," Seungcheol whispered, hand covering his moving mouth from the eyes of the teacher; "Boring class, huh?"

           Why Seungcheol even considered talking to one of the human rocks in this class was beyond him.

           The boy in the seat, Jeon Wonwoo, scratched his head as he stared soullessly into Seungcheol's black irises.

           "Euuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh....." Wonwoo grunted quietly, mouth hanging open. Was that drool? Was the brown haired boy across from Seungcheol sleeping just a few seconds before? While drooling?

           "Yeah."

           Seungcheol slumped into his chair.

           "Well. Glad the feeling's mutual."

 

           Pacing down the hallways, Seungcheol was unaware of the tiny figure loitering around in front of him.

           Actually, that's a lie. He was aware of the tiny figure loitering around in front of him, but duty calls to be aware while being unaware.

           ...as if that made any sense.

           "Oof!" Seungcheol 'accidentally' exclaims as he 'accidentally' slumps to the floor.

           Here comes the delicate "Oh, I'm sorry!", the tall boy closes his eyes as he picks himself up in expectancy. Instead, he gets a slap to the face.

           What?

           "Hey. you." Seungcheol was in shock.

           What?

           "I said hey. Can you hear me? Are you dead? Open your eyes, get up and apologize!" An otherwise charming voice ordered.

           What?

           "Hey!" Seungcheol came to his senses and quickly scattered to his feet. Say something, you idiot!

           "O-oops, sorry! I didn't see you there. I was too busy being blinded by your beauty!" Seungcheol apologized while picking up her things. Was this really the girl that he and his friends would be competing for? She didn't even speak like a girl, and gave off the vibe of a creepy old man. If one thing was consistent between this odd one and all the other girls, though, it would be the fact that she was adorable just like the rest. Tiny and huggable, even, if she weren't cursing someone out half the time.

           " you." The girl muttered as she looked to the ground, embarrassed. Okay, ignoring the blatant insult that was thrown at him, Seungcheol had to admit that the little angry dwarf in front of him was cute. "Haha, gee, was it that bad?" Seungcheol gave the books back to the girl as he scratched the scruff of his neck. The girl was off without a word. And Seungcheol was once again, scrambling to his feet.

           "H-hey," Seungcheol began worriedly, expecting that the girl was going to walk off without batting another eyelash. Guess he was wrong, seeing as the pixie was full of surprises.

           She turned her heel, eyebrows raising.

           "I-I'm, erhm," Seungcheol stuttered as he reached out a hand. "Choi Seungcheol. You don't have to tell me your name, but..."

           Showstopper grin time, it's now or never...

           "It's nice to meet you!" He smiled his this-is-the-smile-I-show-your-father-to-prove-i-treat-you-right smile, arm slightly wavering at the lack of reaction.

           Soon, a slightly rosy tint warmed up the cheeks in front of him as a tiny and soft hand firmly gripped his own. The girl gave him a polite office handshake as she looked anywhere except Seungcheol.

           "Y-you too. Meeting you, that is." Gazing up, meeting Seungcheol's eyes with her own, warm brown ones. "My name's Woozi." Letting go abruptly, Woozi skitters down the halls, more embarrassed than how Seungcheol expected.

           "See you later, Woozi." The silvery gray-haired youth smiled. He would’ve been in deep trouble if he’d failed in introducing himself on the first day, but...

           ...Looks like he's still in the game.

           Occurrences with Woozi were always interesting, to say the least. Pranks between his friends to set them apart, "hangouts" that just ended up with the shorter nagging at him for whatever reason, and silly letters wedged into the doors of each other's lockers every now and then between periods. Woozi spiced up Seungcheol's life in a way other girls never did. Talking to Woozi was natural, unlike other girls, and at time Seungcheol would forget entirely that he was talking to a pretty girl, and not Jeonghan. (Although, he would debate that Jeonghan could be harder to talk to than pretty girls at times, more often than not.)

           He loved it, he loved all the subtle new things Woozi introduced into his life, from the new talks, the new fun, and new experiences he could share between her and his friends.

           He didn't know about all the ruckus he was causing behind the enigma that was Woozi, however, if there was one thing he knew for sure, it was that he wasn't letting this go. He wasn't letting Woozi go; not like his previous girlfriends, who either disappeared after the end of the week, or were stolen by his friends.

           He was going to do whatever it would take,

           and whatever it would take, he would do.

           Ultimately in the end, it was all up to luck, pure luck, for Woozi to pick him out of all the others. After all, his friends may be wet sticks, but they were all equally attractive wet sticks. Shoving down his nerves into a secluded part of his brain, Seungcheol shoved a note into Woozi's locker, 724, hoping for the best.

           If there were gods or something up there, Seungcheol was praying to them to be good to him, just this once.

           "You wrote the letter?"

           And apparently there were, as soon after the chiming of the after school bell, a lovely and familiar little figure greeted him up on the school rooftop. Fresh, green tree leaves fluttered through the breeze as Seungcheol took a deep breath. It's now or never.

           "Woozi, I..." Starting strong, Seungcheol became hesitant while looking at his crush's confusion- shock-filled? face.

           Now or never, Seungcheol. Now or never. Now or never. Now. or. Never.

Seungcheol took another deep breath as he remembered all the empty weeks he had before meeting Woozi. He needed this. Continuing with more power, the love-struck youth stepped forward while scratching the scruff of his neck.

           "I....I love you, Woozi. I'll never let you go, ever. Please accept my feelings."

    Silence.

He looked down in shame when he heard no immediate response.

 

 

 

 

           Dammit, of course Jeonghan won this time, out of all t-

 

 

           "HELL TO THE Y E S !! I LOVE BEING ALIVE!!! TAKE ME OPPA!!!"

           Woozi sure was full of surprises.

           Seungcheol looked on in shock as the generally stoic and sarcastic gnome was induced into a blushing and teary mess, jumping up and down as she fanned her arms. He may or may not have blushed a little at the 'oppa' part.

           "R-really!? You're that eager?" Seungcheol beamed. "O-okay! Let's stick together! Gosh, I love you!" The taller brought Woozi into a strong bear-hug, laughing as he felt tears stain his white school shirt. Filled with love, Seungcheol closes his eyes to take in the feeling of having someone of his own to hold- for real, this time, he thinks.

 

 





 

He didn't expect to not open his eyes after that.

 

 

 

 


 

For real, this time, he thinks.

           

           +-+-+-+-+

 

 

 

hope this was a pleasant read!! im sure the ppl who read the oneshot r like wtf lolol why hasnt stuff happened yet but i felt seungcheol was VERY VERY underdeveloped before so i gotta fix that yknow

also, I made a trailer for this fic because 

watch it here! pls give it love!