Chapter 4

Out Of Focus

I wake up seeing the blue ceiling of my room. I sit up, shake my head and rub my eyes and thought about my dream last night. This man, this Kai, he’s planning on eloping with the girl he’s in love with.

Him and her, against the world.

Well, that’s just crazy.

I move to stand from my bed and at the same time as I did so, my phone begins to ring. I reached for my phone and saw Yijeong as the caller ID. I greeted my hello with a groggy voice and listened to what drama he was going to tell.

“Can’t you just come this Saturday? Please?” He then pleads, totally changing the topic. “This music festival only happens once a year!”

Once a year?

I rub my eyes once more. “Why do you even want me to go?”

“Just because.”

I scoff. “What? Just because?”

“Yeah! There’s no reason why I should want my friend to be there, is it? C’mon, it’ll be fun!”

I yawn. “Ok fine, bye!”

Before I could even hear him protest, I hung up. I placed my phone back on my desk and went to the restroom to wash my face. As I go there, I come across my sister as she yawns at me as a greeting. We weren’t morning people, so being happy early in the morning is something we will never do, unless we’re excited about something.

There was a knock on the door once I got out of the restroom. I scratch my head and yawn at the same time as I walk to open the door for whoever and kick him or her because as I said before, no one in my family is a morning person. And we get cranky if someone tries to ruin our sleep in the morning.

“Woah!” He moves to the side before my feet could even touch him. I look at where he’s standing and groaned.

I walked back inside, ignoring him completely even though I couldn’t stop hearing him complain about getting an injury by a girl. I took some apple juice from the fridge and drank one full cup before finally looking at him.

“What?” He asks in a defensive tone.

I glare and placed the cup in front of him. “Do you really have to be here early in the morning?”

He nods. “Of course I do!”

I raise an eyebrow. “And why?”

He stands while still smiling before walking to the fridge to get something. My eyes follow his figure and yawn once again when I saw him holding two eggs in one hand and a pack of bacon in the other hand.

I shooed him away and stood up. I placed the things in his hands back in the fridge and poured him a cup of apple juice before forcing it on his hand. He pouts in response, but I just moved away and walked towards the stairs.

“Come up when you’re done. I’ll cook later,”

I didn’t wait up for him and just jumped on my bed once I got to my room. I checked my phone before closing my eyes and before I could even go to dreamland, there was a body beside me. I took a peek, thinking for a second that it was Kai, but saw my best friend instead.

“Why are you still sleeping? It’s 9 AM already!” He whines, taking my favorite pillow from my grasp and stuck his tongue out when he saw me giving him death glares.

I close my eyes and turn around.

“I’m not done talking here!” He whines again, shaking me this time. “You should listen when someone is talking.”

I shake away from his hold and pushed him to fall on the ground. He looked at me for a moment before grabbing my wrist and forcing me to fall with him. My body was on top of his and when I looked at his face, he was blushing. I then hit him on the chest before standing up to go back to my bed. He followed as well but sat on the other end of my bed while still hugging my pillow.

“Give it back.” I demanded though I was not looking at him. “Let me sleep. Bother someone else.”

“I can’t.”

“And why?”

“It’s mine.”

“What?”

“What?”

I extend my arm and tried reaching for the pillow. “That’s mine. Not yours. Now give it!” Then I tackled him and we fought like little children until the said pillow was in neither of our hands and we were just tickling each other.

“Stop, stop!” He screams, laughing like mad. I smile wickedly in return and continued in tickling. “I said stop!” He demands then, suddenly holding both my arms in one hand. “You really need to start listening.”

I tried pulling away, but his grip tightened. “Let go.”

“No.”

“I said let go!” I kicked his leg and stuck my tongue out when I saw him hugging his leg and complaining about how much it hurts. “You should be the one listening, you know.”

When he stopped complaining, he gave me a death glare. I returned it with one of my own, and stopped only to hear a knock on my door. I walked and opened it to see my mom and sister glaring at us.

“Keep it down!” My mom says as a greeting. “I need more sleep before my shift soon.”

We both nod our heads and apologized while she walked away. My sister, Yeon Woo, on the other hand rested her hand on my shoulder and yawned right in front of my face.

“You guys better get married soon.” She says, “You need to have your own place.”

“Married?” I scoff. “Who would want to marry that guy?”

I heard him stand up. “You don’t want to marry me?”

I shake my head. “No.” I turn to face him. “And please, leave me alone for a while. I need sleep.”

Without saying any arguments, he walked out of my room, out of my house and didn’t text or call the whole day. It was surprising, actually since he never leaves my house until I make him some eggs and bacon in the morning, and even though I don’t cook for him sometimes, I’d still get a text from him telling me that his father was in town and he needed to ‘pretend’ to be happy around him.

Like the perfect son to the perfect father.

 


 

I was readying myself to go to the festival this afternoon when my phone suddenly rang. I picked it up, wishing it was my best friend, but got Yijeong instead.

“What?”

“We’ll pick you up at 4PM, okay?” He said.

I hear loud noises on the background. “Yeah, who’s coming anyway?”

“You, me, Hyerin, Yuri and Ho Seok.”

“Ho Seok?”

“Yeah, well he’s trying to win some points with Hyerin.”

“And Hyerin agreed?”

“No, but does he ever listen?”

“You got a point.” I say as I nod my head as someone screams my name. “Anyway, I got to go. Mom’s calling.”

“Alright, see you then!”

I hung up, threw my phone on my bed and finished buttoning my red button-up shirt before heading out of my room. Once I got down from the stairs, I see my mom and Yeon Woo standing in front of the front door with smiles on their faces. I walk towards them hesitantly, until I realized why they were there.

They ordered Thai food, again.

“Did you guys call me?” I ask as I stop walking.

“No,” They uttered in unison.

“Oh,”

“Don’t mind us,” She then shooed me away. “Go get ready.”

“Alright.”

I then walked away from them again and readied my bag this time. I placed my journal (You never really know when you’ll get good ideas), my make-up kit, a brush and my wallet before putting it on my desk and wait for my friends to come, while I am in my bed with my phone on my hand, staring at the screen.

Why isn’t he calling or texting?

Did something bad happen to him?

Shaking my head, I tossed my phone again at my side and closed my eyes. Maybe if I take a nap, I’d dream about Chanyeol or Kai again, or I could dream about me travelling around the world on my own, like I’d always wanted.

Help me.

I open my eyes. Did I say something?

Help me.

I shake my head and looked around my room. There’s no one there, and as far as I could remember, my mom and Yeon Woo are probably at the kitchen eating Thai food. I sit up, shake my head once more before lying on my bed again. Maybe I’m imagining things, maybe I’m hallucinating.

I close my eyes once more, and tried to take a nap.

Help me.

I sit up in a jolt. I look around my room twice, thrice, but I still didn’t anyone there. I’m not really scared seeing ghosts or any of those paranormal stuff, but I would really appreciate it if this woman (The voice has a sweet, lady-like tone) would just show up and tell me what’s wrong.

I crossed my legs and arms and waited for her to speak again. But seconds pass, even minutes and I was only staring at my door with silence surrounding me. I closed my eyes again, trying to see if this woman would speak when I would only see nothing, but there was still no voice I hear. There’s no cry for help or weeping, like what I heard earlier, but just completely and utter silence.

“Hey!!” My door suddenly opened to reveal my friends coming into view.

“It’s 4 already?” I ask.

“No, but it’s always better to be early than sorry, right?” Hyerin says as she smiles at me.

“I think the saying is better safe than sorry.” Yuri butted in, laughing once she saw Hyerin’s face. “Let’s just go, your boyfriend is waiting.”

“Ho Seok is not my boyfriend!” Hyerin screams, glaring now at the still laughing Yuri. She then grabbed my bag from my desk and walked out.

“Noisy as always,” Yijeong says, walking to grab my wrist and pull me from my bed. “There’s no point in trying to change how you look.”

“And what’s wrong with what I’m wearing?”

“Nothing,” He does a one-glance at me and nods his head. “You’re still pretty even if you wear a sack, so let’s just go.”

We arrived at the festival a little early since Ho Seok was a fast driver. He parked near the entrance and became a gentleman to the independent lady, Hyerin. They left us to fend for ourselves and we actually couldn’t care less. We toured the whole place first, dancing as well when we heard some music we know. We were all having fun until a voice stopped me from dancing.

“He got a new girl?”

Kai?

I looked for the owner’s voice and when I saw the familiar brown hair, strikingly good looks and toned body, I suddenly remembered my dream days before. He was standing not too far from me and was talking to his friend. And right there, behind him, was the girl he loved so much.

She moved away from his protection and revealed her face and took in the facial expression of Kai’s friend. She wasn’t talking nor even butting in, just like in my dream, but I could see from where I’m standing the pain in her eyes.

She loved him just as much.

I walked towards them slowly, trying not to get any attention on me and settled a few people away.  I know how this was gonna play out and I want to be there to see if what she’s doing is the same as what I did.

I then saw Kai moving towards the booth that was close to the bungalow while the girl just stood there staring at his retreating figure. I wanted to go there and comfort her, but since knowing how crazy it may sound and look, I restrained myself. I’ll watch.

Just watch.

“Yeah,” I hear her say. “Yeah he’s with me.”

She nods her head.

“No, let me do it. Let me be the one to say goodbye.” She nods her head again and places her phone back in her pocket.

We both then saw Kai walking back with two red cups in hand, and a smile plastered in his face. They both drank the cup at the same time and danced with the music until it turned into a love song, just like in my dream.

They held each other so desperately, so intimately and I couldn’t actually help being a little jealous right now. I know I promised myself I won’t get involved with any romantic relationships, but seeing them right now, and feeling their love for each other when I was in my dream made me wish for it too.

“Kai,” I heard her say.

He looks at her. “Yeah?”

“You know that I love you, right?”

He nods his head.

“But you don’t love me.”

“What?”

“I’m not who you think I am.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m not your childhood friend, I’m not the girl you fell in love with.” She steps back. “I’m an impostor. Your friend was right. You should have left me when you had the chance.” Kai tried holding her in place, but she shook her head and raised her hand. “I’m sorry.”

And then she ran off.

Leaving Kai and me with a confused face.

What the hell.

What just happened?