Furniture

WINNER: Of Palaces and Ruins (JINYOON)

Seungyoon was always quick to adapt. He moved around a lot but nothing ever seemed permanent. As cliché as it sounds, change had always been the only constant for him. But now, Seungyoon had to get used to routines and habits, things he had always looked down on before.

Jinwoo had molded himself into Seungyoon’s life slowly and then, all at once. It started with a drawer of clothes and a toothbrush. The drawer grew into a cupboard, because damn that boy loved his clothes. Without realizing it, Seungyoon found that he had grown used to having two cups of coffee ready on the table in the mornings or whatever time he woke up. It was getting harder to imagine a time when Jinwoo wasn’t always there to call out to him and he pushed the door open.

Maybe it was because Jinwoo seemed to be in his apartment all the time. Seungyoon mused over this for a while. What the , I’ll just ask, he decided.

“Jinwoo?”

“Hmmm?” The older boy was examining coat hangers. They were both at IKEA because Jinwoo said he couldn’t live with just tossing his coat on the floor anymore. Yet, another thing Seungyoon thought he would never do. Picking out furniture? Really??

Try as he might, Seungyoon couldn’t muster up more than a mild annoyance at the situation. Admiring the older boy as Jinwoo compared various coat hangers, the slightest of frowns on his face, more than made up for this.

“Are you freaking out because we are picking furniture? For the fifth time, a coat hanger isn’t furniture. It’s a freaking necessity.” Seungyoon smiled and tried to cut Jinwoo off, to no avail. “Seriously, Yoonie, if I have to clean off the dust of my coat one more time –“

“It’s not that, don’t worry,” Seungyoon wrapped his arms around his boyfriend, chuckling. Jinwoo visibly relaxed.

“What then?” All of his attention was on Seungyoon now which made Seungyoon squirm slightly. He had always been used to the background, slipping in and out of the line of sight at will. But that won’t work with Jinwoo. He always gave Seungyoon his full attention, fixing those bright, intense eyes on him as though he might just look right into Seungyoon’s soul. He made Seungyoon feel vulnerable and exposed like no one ever did before.

Maybe that’s why I love him so ing much, Seungyoon sighed internally.

“I was just wondering …” Seungyoon paused, trying to find the best way to phrase his question. “Don’t you ever get bored? Sitting at home all day, waiting for me to come home and tell you how my day went?”

Jinwoo grinned devilishly. “Is that what you think I do all day? Sit around waiting for my prince to come home?” Seungyoon blushed.

“That wasn’t what I meant!! I – I –“ Goddamnit, he couldn’t form a complete sentence with Jinwoo smiling at him like that.

“Go on, Yoonie. What did you mean?” Jinwoo was distractingly close. His fingers brushed across Seungyoon’s cheek as Jinwoo placed his hand on the wall behind Seungyoon. He was trapped in between Jinwoo’s arms now and they were dangerously close to making out in full view of everyone in the damned store, which Seungyoon was sure, the manager would not appreciate. Jinwoo kept pressing closer, leaning in to nuzzle Seungyoon’s neck.

“I was just thinking, that, um, if you wanted, you could come out with me sometime. You know, hit the streets and – and stuff,” Seungyoon managed to squeeze the words out but his voice sounded breathy and uneven.

What? That wasn’t what he wanted to say! Seungyoon never wanted Jinwoo to watch him steal and peddle. Jinwoo might get hurt, or worst, arrested. A deeper part of him realized that Seungyoon didn’t want Jinwoo to realize that he was dating a criminal.

Jinwoo looked up, his eyes wide in surprise at Seungyoon’s words. “Really? You want me to come with you on one of your adventures?”

Seungyoon raised an eyebrow. Adventures? What? He didn’t get to correct Jinwoo’s words though; his boyfriend was practically tripping over himself in excitement. He wasn’t even interested in making out anymore, Seungyoon noted with some disappointment. These suburban families could have used a good shock.

“I mean, I have been writing about the stuff you do but being out there with you would be so different. I can’t wait!” Jinwoo was still babbling, pushing their store trolley ahead. Seungyoon, finally taking in Jinwoo’s words, stopped short.

“Wait, you have been writing about me?” The sharpness of his voice startled Jinwoo and he stopped his tirade of excitement.

“Y-yeah, that’s what I have been doing all day. Well, not exactly.” Jinwoo stuttered, his hands suddenly flitting about nervously. He adjusted his coat and ran his hands through his hair, doing everything to avoid Seungyoon’s eyes as he explained. “It’s a collection of short stories and the main character is loosely based around you. I have shown my agent some of the stuff and he liked it. I thought you wouldn’t mind, it isn’t exactly about you. Just some of the stuff you said kinda inspired me and I thought – oh god, are you mad? If you want, I will just toss the whole thing out. It’s fine, really. My block is gone now and I have a few other ideas floating about. Just say the –“

“Jinwoo, Jinwoo, calm down and shut up for a while.” Seungyoon laid a finger on Jinwoo’s lips and he quieted immediately. “Just – just let me think, okay?”

Seungyoon wasn’t exactly sure what to feel. He never imagined that anyone would find him interesting enough to write about. When he voiced the thought out loud, Jinwoo made an involuntary sound of protest. Seungyoon silenced him with a glare again, still mulling over his thoughts.

“The police won’t know it’s me, right?”

Jinwoo laughed. “Are you crazy? Of course, not. It’s not even set in this city.”

Seungyoon fell into silence again, feeling the weight of Jinwoo’s worried gaze on him. He was so sweet, so willing to stop writing something just on the off chance that it might bother Seungyoon. He knew Jinwoo had said that in a panic but the fact that Jinwoo was ready to abandon his work, just like that made something in Seungyoon’s chest soften.

Jinwoo had told him about his lonely writer’s life and the block he had been struggling against. Seungyoon couldn’t deny it made him feel ever-so-slightly important that he had this much impact on Jinwoo’s life.

“This isn’t the only reason you’re dating me, right?” Seungyoon asked, only half-joking.

“Nah, I am with you for the .” Jinwoo’s throwaway reply made Seungyoon laugh.

“Shut up, you idiot,” he grumbled, pressing a firm kiss on Jinwoo’s lips as they headed to check out.

I love you, Seungyoon thought. I might not be able to say it yet but I do.