Chapter 2: Campaign

Prime Minister Kim Minseok
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

29th December 2000

The Korea Times

Nomination dates set at 5th January 2001

Opinion Poll 19th – 29th December 2000

The poll was conducted by phone; 1200 voters have been asked who will they vote for this general election. The Korea polling organization KCM have put up this voting intention yesterday.
Top line figures as shown Lab 37%, Cons 29%, Lib Dems 12%, others/undecided 22%.
Comparing with the last poll, Labour and Lib Dems are up 3 points while conservatives are up only 1 point

 
Labour is still set to form the next government with 57% of the seats in parliament………

Conservatives to introduce 50 new candidates

The Conservatives will be bringing in 50 new candidates to contest in this general election to retain their current seats and winning back marginal seats that are won by Labour. The party spokesman stated that the new candidates come from different sectors in public and private with a mean age of 35, youngest being just 30 and oldest 40. He also stated that the party is rejuvenating to bring in new blood to the party to contest for elections...

325 seats in this election

Minseok confirmed his candidacy to run for Member of Parliament, together with the other 49 new candidates are introduced by Mr. Ban to the media at the Conservative Party conference.
On top of that, Minseok is nominated to run in a marginal seat at Seoul District 9, the area of Myeongdong which the Conservatives lost narrowly to Labour by a mere 900 votes

Minseok met with the grassroots leaders and members at their campaign HQ immediately after the conference to understand better what has the party been doing in this constituency, whether or not to continue his predecessor programs being in force, showing off the demographics to analyze the votes that have been cast for the last general election and to strategize for the 6 weeks’ battle.

“Opinion polls have been showing a slim lead of our party winning this seat, Mr. Kim.”, the volunteer reported on the opinion poll given “Thanks for the report, I believe we could do even better than this. We just need to keep campaigning and win more votes to widen our margin but it should be a clean campaign.” Minseok continued to analyze the polls and get started to plan his walkabouts in areas he is trailing behind his opponent.

By the time Minseok reaches home, it’s past midnight. Soonkyu was sitting at the sofa waiting for him but slept while waiting. “Honey, wake up.” Minseok nudged Soonkyu a bit, Soonkyu smiled and stood up “You’re back, should I warm up the food for you?”, Soonkyu asked while removing Minseok’s jacket placing it on her hand. “No no no, just go back to sleep I will help myself.”, Soonkyu nodded and head back to their room whereas Minseok finally had his meal and shower after the long day before getting some sleep.

 

5th January 2001 Friday

After the intensive preparation of the materials and strategies for the election campaign, everything is up on the streets showing various parties banners and poster, Minseok is finally nominated to run for the election campaign as a Conservatives’ candidate.
“Number 2, Kim Minseok. The Conservatives’ Party, is nominated as the candidate of Jung-gu constituency.”, the returning officer announced with a big cheer from the supporters down at the field of a school.

Right after Minseok is nominated, he made his way to the constituency to interact with the voters. Many of the voters swooned to him to shake his hands, showing support for his candidacy perhaps his looks helped him to gain more supporters, also many voters have pointed out some issues faced in the constituency such as traffic, housing, and safety.
Minseok took notes to remember what did the voters have voiced out and promised he will do his very best to solve the problem.

13th January 2001 Saturday

As his schedule is seriously packed for campaigns and rallies, he wouldn’t forget to spend the time with his family during the weekend bringing them to the amusement park and supermarket for groceries, having home-cooked food.

“Appa, are you free this Wednesday for our school

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter