ζ - Chapter 10 - ζ

The Zeta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 10

 

Hyukjae scooped a couple of dry leaves in his out stretched palm and glowered at them intently, his shoulder tensed with the amount of concentration he poured in this small task. Fortunately- yet surprisingly- his efforts were proven fruitful when the leaves bust in flames and became mere dust in record time.

 

“Wow…” The Zeta breathed, eyes blown open, with the shock, at his own achievement. But no one can blame him; he had been trying to accomplish this task since day one of his training with Saeun, possibly five years ago. There had come many times in Hyukjae’s life when he had seriously decided to give up on the so-called training, he was being urged to follow by his family and Saeun, to become a powerful Zeta… a Zeta that could protect himself when time calls for it. Or so he had heard many times.

 

Hyukjae had still not been able to get over the fact that he had teleported, when he thought he would die under the weight of Viogreoxath Forest’s Wolf-spirits. And now he was learning, step by step, that his long sorted powers are coming out one by one. Just this morning, when Hyukjae believed he was getting late for his morning training session with Sehun and Myungsoo, he had literally flashed through the deserted corridor at the speed of light. He had come to an abrupt halt when he realized that he had covered the distance of a rather long corridor in less than a second… but when he had tried to run again, he was disappointed to find his speed equal to an average Werewolf. It had taken him some time to realize that his powers were not under his control just yet… and frankly speaking, he had no idea how to get them under his control anyways… and neither did he planned to ask his trainers, regarding this topic.

 

Hyukjae sighed; deeply and heavily before turning his head to look at the vast mountains, standing far away from the Mansion of Lustrous Grotto, Guardian’s like to call their headquarter. Hyukjae wondered once again why the Guardians are staying at a place that stands out the most, when they keep talking about secrecy and hidden lair. Wouldn’t it have been better to stay in a house, in the middle of a werewolves’ society, where they could blend in and act like they were hidden? The Zeta shook his head, reminding himself- yet again- to not dwell over the technicalities the Guardian’s kept saying were not his business.

 

Then the Zeta moved his gaze toward the tree, he was sitting under, bringing his hand at its old bark… his fire filled eyes kept looking at a specific spot for 5 seconds before a hint of fire started to its way up. Hyukjae let the thing burn for a few moments longer before he took a step back and filled his lungs with more than necessary air. Hyukjae blew loud and strong, hoping to bring a sturdy wind out but all he get was loud raspberry sound. Flustered and a little embarrassed, he looked around to see if anyone watched his humiliation. Founding no one in close proximity, the Zeta again tried to create a tornado out of his breath… when he failed again, he realized with a great panic that the fire he had started was expanding with each passing second. If not stopped now, it could burn down the whole forest, which was a wall of Lustrous Grotto from one side.

 

Panic sheening on his face, Hyukjae urgently tried to wave away the fire, eating up the dry wood quickly.

 

“Stop!” The Zeta cried in desperation, hands out to hold back the fire physically.

 

Hyukjae froze and blink. He blinked once, twice… hardly believing his eyes, because the fire had actually stopped out of nowhere. It’s like it listen and understood Hyukjae’s command… which Hyukjae knew was not the case but he also knew that he had no way of knowing how he had stopped that damn fire anyway.

 

Hyukjae exhaled a sigh of relief before collapsing at the foot of the same tree he had started to burn a few minutes ago, carefully avoiding the part as he leaned his head at the trunk and close his eyes. A pair of obsidian eyes along with a handsome face popped in his mind, gracing Hyukjae’s lips with a hint of smile. He knew he was being ridiculous… just because the handsome boy had saved him from those terrible beasts and had been nice to him while accompanying him back to Lustrous Grotto doesn’t mean Hyukjae should be thinking about him, right?

 

But more than being handsome, Aiden reminded Hyukjae of someone. The memories were hazy, like a blurry face just passing through the corridor filled with nameless faces… yet Hyukjae had a feeling like he had seen Aiden before. Something he had mentioned to Aiden while they both walked through the silent Viogreoxath Forest on their way back… but all Hyukjae received was a radiant smile with a quick nod…

 

.

 

.

 

“Of course you must have seen me,” Aiden assured with a bright smile, his obsidian orbs held a hint of shear happiness. “We live in the same part of Wolvotaria. You could have seen me… I am pretty sure I have seen you before as well…”

 

Hyukjae nodded slowly, letting Aiden’s words to sink in and make sense. Both of them tread through a small trail in the Forest, leading them back to Guardian’s lair… Hyukjae watched Aiden’s broad back with slightly suspicious eyes.

 

“Earlier you said ‘Don’t you remember me?’… Why did you say that, then?” Hyukjae asked, tilting his head in curiosity.

 

“When did I say that?” Aiden tossed back and Hyukjae noticed how the other’s eyes skipped here and there, a hint of nervousness was transparent on his facial features.

 

“Back when you saved me from Lykaios,” Hyukjae pressed, hand reaching to make Aiden stop and face him. “Have we met before? Did you already know me?”

 

Aiden exhaled a heavy breath before looking in Hyukjae’s eyes dead on, “No, we have never met before. But yes I have seen you before… it was before I knew you were the Zeta, or that you would be becoming the Zeta.”

 

“Oh,” Hyukjae says, eyes blinking as he tried to recall a similar experience.

 

“Can we hurry up?” Aiden demanded impatiently. “I need to return to Vinz… I still need to get answer to my troubles.”

 

Hyukjae nodded readily and started to walk at a faster pace; leading the way this time, even if he had no idea where to go.

 

“Who is Vinz to you?” Hyukjae’s curious nature couldn’t stand down for more than a couple of minutes before he was back to ask questions.

 

“Vinz is my mentor… had been since I was five,” Aiden replied shortly, gently grabbing at Hyukjae’s arm to make him walk in a different direction than the one the Zeta was going on.

 

“What about your Father? Why do you live in Castle?”

 

“I…” Aiden hesitated, making Hyukjae wonder if he had touched a sensitive topic but before he could take back his thoughtless question he heard Aiden saying in a hard tone. “I don’t have a father.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“And I live in castle because I have to,” Aiden’s voice was soft, it was almost impossible to hear the tint of hurt but Hyukjae caught it nevertheless and thought to not prod any further. He happily changed the course of their conversation, telling Aiden he has a sister he loves dearly and in return learning that Aiden had a brother he thought similarly about. The topic of their talk kept getting playful and easy going and before they knew it, Aiden was dropping off Hyukjae at the mouth of the cave Hyukjae had come out of that morning.

 

For some weird reason they both stood facing each other, goofy smiles plastered at their faces, neither planning on saying goodbye. Hyukjae hates to admit it but it had been a long time since he felt this comfortable in anyone’s company. Shockingly, he found himself becoming Aiden’s friend pretty quickly… maybe it was the fact that Aiden already knew about Hyukjae being the Zeta, or maybe because Hyukjae had a feeling that he was close with Aiden before he left Wolvotaria five years ago… whatever the reason maybe, Hyukjae found himself wishing to see Aiden again… soon enough…

 

.

 

.

 

“Hyukjae!”

 

The sound of his name brought Hyukjae out of his stupor, making his eyes to fall open and stare at Myungsoo’s worried looking face peering down at him.

 

“Hyukjae, what are you doing so far away from the Mansion?” Myungsoo asked, pointing toward the place they usually train on, which was closer to the Mansion than the edge of the Forest that Hyukjae sat on. Then Myungsoo’s deep eyes moved above Hyukjae’s head and a frown touched his handsome face. “What happened to this tree?”

 

“Don’t know,” Hyukjae lied smoothly, shrugging his shoulder effortlessly before gazing at Myungsoo’s pale face. “Were you looking for me? Did something happen?”

 

“Heskel found the book he was talking about the other day,” Myungsoo started, flumping down beside Hyukjae and frowning in confusion when he noticed Hyukjae tensing beside him. “Hyukjae, what has happened to you? Why are you acting so aloof with all of us? Everyone has started to notice that you are avoiding us… what exactly happened in Viogreoxath Forest?”

 

“I already told all of you, nothing happened,” Hyukjae spat unintentionally, before forcing himself to calm down. “Vinz is too ancient to be any help to us. He doesn’t know anything about unlocking Zeta’s powers and neither does he has any idea how to get rid of an unwanted mark.”

 

“Hyukjae…” Myungsoo called softly after Hyukjae was done breathing fire. “You know you can trust me, right?”

 

Hyukjae snapped his face toward his friend, finding worry etched on other’s face. “Are you calling me a liar?”

 

“What? No… Hyukjae-” Myungsoo started but was cut off by the Zeta.

 

“I wish to be left alone,” Hyukjae said in a cold voice, turning his face away from his friend so he won’t see the expression of hurt he knew his friend must be supporting. Everything stood still for a second, and then Hyukjae felt Myungsoo getting up plus leaving. He felt ashamed to act like this but for some reason Hyukjae knew he had to do it.

 

Every logical part of Hyukjae wanted to believe in his friend’s good will as well as the rest of the Guardians but his heart kept telling him otherwise. Considering all the advices he had received from Vinz and some Guardians too… they told him to follow his heart. And now, Hyukjae plans to do exactly that.

 

It’s not he doesn’t trust Guardians… but there was someone Hyukjae was weary of, especially with the addition of Siwon in the picture. Therefore, he plans to keep his mouth shut, his thoughts a secret and his plans as misleading as possible. Exclusively after Vinz parting words…

 

.

 

.

 

“But beware of anyone that calls you their friend,” Vinz wheezed out, shaking hands reached out to put away the tea cup he held in his wrinkled hands, his greying eyes reflecting deep maturity as light from the fireplace dance in them.

 

“Even the Guardians?” Hyukjae tested, eyes narrowed as he drank in the minor changes Vinz’s aging face experience at the Zeta’s words.

 

“If you must… then even the Guardians,” Vinz replied, eyes locked with Hyukjae’s.

 

“But are they not supposed to pr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter