My Angel, My Tutor

Heaven Sent

 

It was exam week at your school. You spent the last few weeks studying and reviewing your notes. However, your notes were a big mess so you weren’t really able to understand the things you are reviewing.

 The day of exam came. You woke up early to get to school. You wouldn’t want to be late for your exams. You walked to school with Namjoo as usual and both of you arrived on time. You reviewed some of your notes as you wait for the exams to start.

Exams started. You decided to concentrate on the test you were given, trying to remember the things you reviewed. Some of it came out of the test. Unfortunately, most of the questions in the test were things you didn’t know.

‘I was probably sleeping when these were discussed’, you thought as you try to guess the right answers.

Lunch came and you hurriedly ate so you will still have time to review your notes for the next subjects. Bell rang and you came back to your classroom. The exams continued and just like what happened during the tests in the morning, most of the answers you put were just wild guesses. The only subject you were confident with your answers was your Art subject.

BELL RINGS.

The test ended. You and your classmates started stretching your back and rubbing the back of your necks. You can hear them complaining how the hard the test was. You sighed and wished yourself luck. You picked up your things and went home with Namjoo.

“Ahh! At last no more exams”, you said as you walked together with Namjoo.

“Yup! I can finally relax again”, Namjoo said.

“But I can’t relax until the results are out”, you said. “Most of my answers were just guesses.”

Namjoo looked at you worriedly and asked, “Why? Didn’t you review?”

“I did, but…”

“But?” Namjoo asked.

“But most of the questions were not written in my notes”, you said. “I don’t even remember them being taught to us.”

“It’s your fault”, Namjoo said. “You were probably sleeping when they were taught to us.”

You sighed and thought that Namjoo was right. But still, you were hoping that you’d pass the test. When you reached the waiting shed, you parted ways with Namjoo and walked your way home. Yoseob was already home the time you arrived and was cooking dinner in the kitchen

“Welcome home!” Yoseob exclaimed when he saw you entering the kitchen. You dropped your things on the floor and slumped over the dining table and sighed.

“What’s the matter, _____?” Yoseob asked as he sits down and slumping over the table as well.

“It was our exam day today”, you said

“Oh, yeah, I forgot about that”, Yoseob said. “So how did it go?”

“I didn’t do well. I’m nervous about failing it”, you said and sighed deeply.

“Aww, don’t worry. I know you’ll pass”, Yoseob ruffling your hair.

“I hope so,” you said and sighed.

 Yoseob went back to what he was cooking while you were still there sitting and slumping over the table thinking about the exams you had that day and waiting for the dinner to be cooked. When Yoseob finished cooking, the two of you eat dinner. You cleaned after that, said good night to each other and went to your bedrooms.

You decided you’d sleep since you don’t have any homework for that day. You turned off the lights and lie down your bed. You tried to close your eyes, ready to sleep but you can’t for there were lots of things going on in your mind.

‘Aish!’ you thought as you roll on your bed here and there. ‘Just sleep ____! Don’t worry, you’ll pass. Yoseob even said it.’

“*Sigh* I wish what Yoseob said would come true”, you said and went to sleep.

Weekend passed by without anything special happening. You would just stay at your house with Yoseob surf the web, watch TV, and eat; nothing special. On Sunday, you asked Namjoo to come over for lunch. You and Yoseob were glad to have her; at least you have another person to talk to. You all had a good time, telling stories to each other, and playing video games. When afternoon came, Namjoo said goodbye and you were left alone with Yoseob again.

“Namjoo should come over more often”, Yoseob said as he set the table for dinner.

“You seem to enjoy her company”, you said. “Do you like her?”

Yoseob laughed and said, “No. She’s just really nice to talk to. And she’s talkative.” There was a moment of silence, it broke when Yoseob asked, “Why are you asking anyway? You jealous?”

“Hahaha, me? Jealous?” you said. “Of course not.” Even though you said that, you were actually not sure that you were not jealous about the fact that Yoseob enjoys Namjoo’s company.

‘Why would I be jealous anyway?’ you thought to yourself. ‘It’s not like, I like Yoseob.’

“Admit it”, Yoseob said teasingly.

“Aish”, you said getting irritated. You were about to flick Yoseob’s forehead but he covered his head and said that he was just kidding. You told Yoseob to eat his dinner

You and Yoseob ate your dinner and went to sleep early for you have school tomorrow and Yoseob have to go to his work.

The next day, you woke up early to meet Namjoo in your usual meeting place. You were walking to school together when you noticed that Namjoo looks happier and more excited than usual.

‘Namjoo looks more excited and happier today’, you thought. ‘Don’t tell me she also enjoys Yoseob’s company? She said before that she liked Yoseob more than Taemin.’ There were lots of thoughts going on your mind that time. You thought it would be safe if you would just ask her what’s making her so happy right now.

“Hmm? Well, exam results will be out today and I’m excited and nervous at the same time”, Namjoo said.

You forgot that the results of your exam will come out today and remembering it made you nervous. However, you also had a feeling of relief that Namjoo’s happiness and excitement wasn’t about Yoseob.

You arrived at your school on time and waited for your teacher to give you the result of your exams. Bell rang and your teacher came in. You nervously waited for your teacher to call your name and give you your paper.

“Kim Namjoo”, your teacher called Namjoo already. Namjoo got her paper and she looked extremely happy.

“I passed!” Namjoo exclaimed.

“Good for you”, you said. “I hope I pass too.”

“Of course you will. Hwaiting!” Namjoo said.

“_____”, your teacher called your name. You nervously approached your teacher to get you paper. Your teacher handed your paper to you. You immediately went back to your seat to see if you passed or failed. You inhale deeply before looking at your paper. You looked at it and saw a big fat F on your test paper.

“Did you pass?” Namjoo asked.

You did not answer. Instead, you handed her your paper and slumped over your desk. Namjoo looked at your paper and her smile turned into a frown. She rubbed your back to comfort you.

“Don’t worry, ____. I’ll help you study next time”, Namjoo said.

“Thanks, Namjoo. It’s okay. It’s my fault anyway”, you said giving her a weak smile.

Your teacher congratulated those who passed the exams while she reminded those who failed to see her in the faculty room after class.

School for that day ended. You told Namjoo she can go home already for you have to see your teacher. You said goodbye to Namjoo and went to the faculty room. You arrived there and saw your classmates as well as some other students from the other sections.

Your teacher told you that all of you should retake the exam. She was explaining when you are going to have the retake when someone knocked on the door and entered the faculty room.  You were surprise to see Taemin.

“Sorry ma’am if I was late”, Taemin said, bowing

Your teacher said it was okay and continued explaining about retaking the exams. She dismissed you after that. You left the faculty room ready to go home when Taemin approached you.

“Hi ___”, Taemin said.

“Hello, Taemin”, you replied back. “So, you also failed?”

“Unfortunately, yes”, said Taemin as the two of you walk together. “So what’s your plan to pass this time?”

“I don’t know yet”, you said at the same time wondering if you’ll get Yoseob to tutor you.

“Why don’t we study together?” Taemin asked. You were surprised with what Taemin said that you weren’t able to say anything.

“Eh?” you asked.

“I said, why don’t we study together?” Taemin said repeating his question. “Well, I have to go home now. You don’t need to rush. Just tell me your answer tomorrow, okay?”

“O-okay. Bye”, you said. You walk on your way home. You arrive just before the sun set and as usual Yoseob was home already preparing dinner for the two of you. You told him you failed your exam and asked him if he could tutor you so you would pass the retake exam.

“Of course, why not? It’s my duty to help you”, Yoseob said.

‘If that’s the case,  that would mean, it will be _____’s second problem I have to solve’, Yoseob thought. ‘Another one and I have to say goodbye to her.’

“Really? You’ll tutor me?” you asked excitedly.

“Yup.”

“Thank you!” you exclaimed hugging Yoseob. Yoseob blushed when you hugged him.

“U-um, one more thing, can I also bring a friend?” you asked.

“Okay, no problem.” Yoseob said.

You thanked Yoseob again, eat your dinner together and went to sleep. The next day, you met Taemin after class telling him that you’ll study with him. You also told him that you asked Yoseob to tutor the two of you. He was surprised that Yoseob agreed in tutoring him. You told him that you didn’t tell Yoseob that it was him that he will be tutoring.

You walked on your way home. Yoseob was there already when the two of you arrived.

“Welcome h-“, Yoseob supposed to be cheerful greeting faded when he saw Taemin.

“Yo! Nice to see you again”, Taemin said.

Yoseob grabbed your arm and led you to the kitchen.

“Is he the friend you are talking about?” Yoseob asked.

“Uh, yeah”, you replied. “I know you don’t like him but please Yoseob tutor him, just this once.”

“No”, Yoseob said sternly.

“Please. Just this once”, you said. “You said yourself that it’s your duty to help me. You might want to help my friend as well.”

Yoseob thought about it for a moment but said yes in the end. You invited Taemin to eat dinner with you and Yoseob. The atmosphere was awkward and you were trying your best to make it comfortable. After dinner you went to the living room to begin your tutoring session. Yoseob was a really good tutor. You were able to understand your lessons better when Yoseob was teaching it unlike when it was your teachers.

‘Or maybe I was just really sleeping at that time, just like Namjoo said’, you thought to yourself.

After the tutoring session for that night, Taemin said goodbye while you and Yoseob went to sleep. These things happen for the next two nights. On the last night, Yoseob gave you and Taemin an exam to see if you have really understood what he taught you. You and Taemin looked at each other’s “test paper” and notice that it was different from each other. You knew Yoseob gave Taemin a more difficult exam so you confronted him about it.

“Well, he told me the last time that he was better than me”, Yoseob said. “Let’s see if he really is.”

“Aish! You!” you said angrily. “Do you really have to do that?”

“It’s okay ____”, Taemin said. “I’ll perfect this.”

‘Wow this guy sure have a lot of confidence’, Yoseob thought a bit pissed.

Yoseob left the two of you to wash the dishes. You and Taemin focused on answering the test Yoseob made asking each other every now and then when you are not sure of your answers. You seriously answered each and every question even though you are sleepy already. However, you were not able to control your sleepiness; you fell asleep while you were answering the test Yoseob made. Taemin noticed you were sleeping already but did not bother to wake you up. He also finished answering the test so he went to the kitchen where Yoseob was.

Yoseob was surprised that Taemin was finished with the test.

“Here’s my test paper”, Taemin said as he handed it to Yoseob. “I’ll be going now as well.”

“Aren’t you going to wait and see if you’re answers are correct?” Yoseob asked as he looked at Taemin’s paper.

“There’s no need for that. I know my answers are correct”, Taemin said.

‘Wow. This guy’s just so full of himself’, Yoseob said to himself.

Taemin was about to left Yoseob when he remembered you were already sleeping.

“Oh yeah by the way, your cousin’s sleeping already”, Taemin said. “I’ll be going then.” Taemin left and Yoseob went to the living room to check on you. He saw you slumped over the table, sleeping. He carried you upstairs on your bedroom and laid you on your bed.

‘She must be so tired’, Yoseob thought. ‘For the last few days, she wasn’t able to get enough sleep because she was studying hard for the test.’

“Good luck, ____! I know you studied hard, so I know you’ll pass. Fighting!” Yoseob whispered as he watched you sleep. He covered you with the blanket and gave you a kiss on the forehead.

Yoseob went out of your room quietly and turned off the lights.

The next day was the day of retaking the exams. Namjoo patiently waited for you outside the room where the exams are being held. You sat at the seat next to the window and at your back sat Taemin. “Fighting!” he whispered to you just before the exams started. The exams started and this time, you answered each and every question with confidence.

After the exam you approached the Namjoo, crying. Namjoo looked worried and started panicking.

“Why are you crying?” Namjoo asked. “Did you fail the test again?”

You did not answer her and handed her your test paper.

98.

Namjoo let out a sigh of relief when she saw you test paper. She punched you hard on your arm and looked at you irritated.

“Aish, I thought you failed again”, Namjoo said. “Anyway, congratulations!” Namjoo gave you a big hugged. You told her you were sorry for making her worried about you. You and Namjoo were about to leave school when Taemin called the two of you. He congratulated you for passing the test and told you that he passed as well. You congratulated him and after that, you bid each other goodbye. You were on your way home when Taemin called you again.

“____, please tell Yoseob, thank you”, Taemin said and walked on his way home. You and Namjoo walked on your way home too and separated ways when you reached the waiting shed. When you arrived home, you showed Yoseob you test paper and told him that you passed.

“Wow! 98!” Yoseob exclaimed when he saw your test paper. “Unbelievable!”

“I know right? I never expected to get a grade as high as that”, you said. “And it’s all because of you.”

You hugged Yoseob to show your appreciation. Yoseob blushed and was hesitant at first to hug you back but he still did.

“Congratulations”, Yoseob said.

“Oh yeah, I just remembered. Taemin also want to say thank you”, you said.

“What? He said that? I never knew that guy knows how to say thank you”, Yoseob said.

You elbowed him and he let a loud scream. The two of you went to the dining room to eat your dinner.

“Thanks again Yoseob”, you said as you took a bite of the kimchi.

“You’re welcome”, Yoseob replied happily. He watched you eat your dinner when he remembered that he has finished helping you in your second problem.

‘One more problem to be solved and I have to say goodbye to _____’, Yoseob thought.

“I will surely miss you”, Yoseob whispered.

“What?” you asked.

“N-nothing, Just continue eating.”