ch 9

Coffee

“Wake up, already,” Nina said impatiently, shaking your shoulder violently. You groaned but took the tone of her voice as a warning and decided not to say anything sarcastic back. You remembered suddenly why you needed to be up so early. Nina threw a bra in your face and left your shoes right at the foot of the bed.

 

“You don’t need to get off the car, just drop me off,” she said as she ran out of room gathering all of her paper work. “Come on! Your coffee is on the table!” She yelled at you from the living room. You rubbed the sleep off your eyes and very quickly slipped on the two items she left you. You exited your room, grabbed your coffee and joined Nina at the door.

 

She had a rolling briefcase full of copies of short stories. She had a bag on her shoulder full of essay booklets. And in her arms were the essay prompts. You took one look at her professional attire but messy hair and decided that, as much as you had hated finals week as a student, you had an appreciation for the other side of the coin.

 

You checked your phone as you guys rode the elevator down. You cursed every god for even inventing a four-fifteen am. Nina need to be at school early. She was in charge of setting up the teacher’s meaning that started at six. Plus she had to get ready for a full day of exam testing. You had to take her because the first bus didn’t come by until four-forty-five, which was not enough time for her; she had to be super early for everything. You also needed the car later during the day, so she couldn’t just take it to work. She loaded the car and the both of you left in silence. She closed her eyes while you pulled out of the driveway. You knew she was asleep by the time you got to the first light.

 

You let her sleep grateful that the half hour drive to the school would be in relative silence. You used to drive past the coffee shop almost everyday, mostly because it was on your way to work, which had picked up. You started children hip-hop classes. You even had dance teams forming. You were gearing them up for their first competition in the spring. However, for the past few months, there wasn’t a coffee shop anymore. You weren’t even sure when it had closed down. Just suddenly, one day, it was gone.

 

There were many mixed emotions about that. You often wondered what he was up to nowadays. Whatever it was, you hoped that things might be getting better for him. It had been almost nine months since you first met him. You the windshield wipers as the December snow began to gently fall. It was just a crush. It was just a crush. No matter how much you tried to move on, you were still stuck on him. It’s not like you even got to properly know him. There was chemistry, sure. There could’ve been more. Should’ve been more…

 

You woke Nina up two blocks from the school. She was thankful. And when you got there, gave you a hug before taking out the school keys and leaving the car. You groaned and turned the car around to go back home and sleep a couple more hours. Once at home, you flopped on your bed. You thought about setting an alarm to shower but then just set it so you’d have enough time to get ready and leave.

 

When your alarm went off at nine, you said the sarcastic thing you probably would’ve said to Nina earlier. You needed the car later to pick up three kids in your dance team you wouldn’t make it on time taking the bus. But in the morning you needed to do the grocery shopping and errand running. When Nina was on finals, she lived like it. You’ve had nothing but ramen for the past week. Nothing against ramen, but you need some vegetables.

 

 

“Ms. Tylar, do you think we’ll be ready?” Lily, the youngest in the group at age 11, asked.

 

“Of course!” You answered confidently. “You guys are working so hard and plus, we still have plenty of time to practice.” She physically relaxed and brought her scarf up to her nose.

 

The snow was falling so softly that it was almost as if some higher power was carefully placing each snow flake. The four of you were the first ones at the studio. You made sure they did at least some studying before they helped to set up. Your teacher of a best friend would kill you if you let them neglect it. When the rest of the kids showed up, nine in total, you began teaching them the second part of their routine. Their ages ranged from 11 to 14. They picked up quickly individually. The problem was getting to be in sync with each other.

 

By the end of practice, they were exhausted but still willing to learn. Parents showed up one by one to pick up their children. You were excited for the spring competitions. Not only would the kids be recognized, so would you. If you guys did well, then that would boost your business in exactly the right way. In just four months, your studio’s name was going to start it’s path to recognition.


 

*

 

The April night was clear and fresh. Your dance team took turns passing around the second place trophy. You looked at the business cards in your hands from the talent agencies who were interested in your choreography. You along with all the parents walked across the parking lot to a fancy restaurant. You were probably more excited than your group of nine kids.

 

“You guys are amazing!” You called to them. You were returned with a chorus of “No you are!” and “Thanks, I know!”’s. Damn those few sassy kids.

 

Nina threw her arm around your shoulders, straining on her tiptoes because of your height against her.  

 

“You did amazing,” she smiled at you, best friend pride in her eyes.

 

“Psht, they’re the ones who danced,” you tried to humble yourself.

 

“Lol, alright. We’ll cherish them tonight. And then, we’re gonna get wasted tomorrow!” You laughed and threw her arm off your shoulder. The huge party of at least twenty five people had to wait a while for the waiters to put a bunch of tables together. It took a total of four waiters, all waiting on different parts of the group, to get all your orders.

 

The meal was amazing. All the parents were congratulating you and their kids. The kids were dumb, as all kids are. The trophy sat in the middle of the table, a shining beacon for everyone’s hard work. Halfway through the meal you excused yourself to the bathroom. As great of a dancer as you are, you were no match for random purses on the floor.

 

You tipped and fell ungraciously unto the table. You didn’t spill anything initially. It was when you were trying to stand, apologizing profusely, that your hand knocked over the bottle of wine. As it spilled everywhere, you went to the next table to steal their napkins. Nina came as soon as you had fallen and was desperately trying to help you. And you tried as best you could to help the waiters clean. But as more professional hands came you got pushed out.

 

That didn’t stop that damned misplaced purse from striking again. You tripped over it a second time. This time, you fell backwards. You saw the look of horrified faces as you went down. You tried to reach for anything that could save you. But not so much as a hand reached for you.

 

This is it, you thought. You could see Nina rushing from the other side of the table. This is how I die. You closed your eyes for the hard embrace of the floor.

 

The floor was somewhat warmer and softer than you expected. You kept your eyes shut just a moment longer, trying to process why you weren’t in any pain.  

 

“Are you okay?” he asked softly, concerned.

 

Your breathing stopped. The voice that you had only listened to for a short amount of time suddenly flooded your ears. A year after you heard it last and you still recognized it. You weren’t exactly sure what to do with that information. You could clearly hear Nina gasp. And kept your eyes closed. His arms hooked under yours, his hands on your stomach, keeping you close.

 

“Tylar?” He asked softly. “Are you okay?” The sound of your name was like a gush of wind released. You took a shaky breath and opened your eyes. He helped you stand straight. You just looked him over. Speechless.

 

He looked fine. His hair was messy, but in that purposely messy way. He wore casual-formal clothes. Minseok didn’t seem sad anymore. You slowly realized that it was his table that you had been stealing napkins from. Your blush was excessive. At his table sat Junmyeon, Channie, Sehun, and Luhan. You quickly recovered what little face you had left. You greeted everyone quietly and they mostly just nodded back. You looked back at Minseok who was trying to read every emotion on your face.

 

“How are you?” he asked, genuinely concerned. You laughed at his question.

 

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” you accidentally played around. You almost regretted it but then he laughed back. He put his hands in his pockets and smiled at you.

 

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” His eyes pierced your soul. He was different. You didn’t know who he was. But now was the time you could find out.

 

“You have something of mine,” he said, taking a step toward you.

 

“Oh, do I?” He nodded and closed the gap.

 

“I’m going to have to collect on that loan you owe me,” he said quietly. You laughed and tried to think where that cup even was? Did you still even have it?

 

“I don’t think I can pay up,” you flirted. Minseok took a step back feigning shock.

 

“Well that’s not good at all,” he raised an eyebrow, “You’re gonna have to pay back somehow.”

 

“And how’s that?” you asked crossing your arms over your chest.

 

“How about you let me take you out?”

 

The question should’ve taken you back. But you realized that you were waiting for it. You looked into his eyes before replying:

 

“Coffee?”