Happenstance at the Library

When I Finally Looked At You...

"Ya, Jeon Jungkook, start eating your breakfast, or else, you'll be late for school," Jung Jiyeon, Jungkook's despotic cousin, cooly said as she slapped on the island the boy's weekly allowance.

Jungkook, still groggy from pulling an all-nighter watching Star Wars, nodded as he lazily ate his omurice.

"That's not the right way to start your Monday, young man. And why were you up all night? Don't you know that it's not good for a kid to stay up late on a school week?"

Jiyeon, fishing her car keys out from her purse, continued with her tirade. It was long and winding that Jungkook started to get irritated.

"Noona, for once, can you shut your mouth?"

"Not unless you start growing up and stop being a baby! Ppali! I haven't got all day!"

"Whatever. For the record, I'm riding the bus starting today."

"Suit yourself."

And so, the noona left the house, banging the door behind her.

Jungkook sighed as he caught the shocked glance from his housemate, Min Yoongi.

"Does she have her period today? What's wrong with her? Yoongi asked, his groggy voice echoing over Jungkook's anger-filled brain.

The latter stabbed his omurice. "Whatever, hyung. Noona still gets into my nerves everyday. I don't know why my parents even bothered to make me stay here with her. I'm better off in Busan. I don't get why I sould come study here in Seoul."

And sliding the place of food over to his hyung, Jungkook snatched his backpack from the kitchen island and exited the door.

***

It was a rather pleasant Monday morning in April. The cherry trees waved in the air their beautiful blossoms, greeting the populace with the reminder that spring has indeed started.

The students chattered, some of them scurrying for the morning ceremony while the rest didn't bother coming in late. After all, being young allows one to go through life with a little irresponsibility and freedom.

Jungkook got off the bus, only to be bumped by some of the school jocks. The latter never bothered to apologize, as they were busy recounting the glory of the baseball game that weekend. Their favorite team just won against the opposing team. Jungkook halfheartedly listened to them, wishing he's seen the game himself.

Heading to the school grounds, he went to were his classmates were. The morning ceremony went on without any incident (no exciting news). School commenced, and the morning passed by uneventful.

***

Jungkook headed to the library a little after lunch break started, hoping to get hold of that book the teacher had them read for their English class. The teacher wanted them to write a comprehensive report because come next month, an exhibit about the students' projects, which was sponsored by a very prestigious company, will be presented to the public at a very well renowned venue. 

The lad wanted to harness his writing skills, as he wanted to become a writer in the future (a writer in the league of the classical writers, as he exactly put it in his resume to the newspaper club. But of course, given his lack of basic English, the editors decided to give Jungkook's case a rest.)

Scanning across the literature section, his eyes as alert as an eagle, he finally found the book he was looking for. But by coincidence, another hand also decided to grab the same book as him. Their hands touched, and Jungkook had to manage to suppress a frown. He then looked at his rival.

It was another guy, someone Jungkook was not familiar with nor he had ever seen him in the school premises.

The other lad was a tad bit shorter, but he was as muscular as Jungkook. He also had a very warm smile, and his eyes shone even when he was surprised.

"Omo! My bad! Were you meaning to also read this book too?" the other boy asked gaily.

Jungkook resisted the urge to answer sarcastically. He had had a bad morning too, so he didn't want the rest of his day to get worse.

"Yeah, Ssaem had us read this. Do you want to borrow it?"

"Aniyo. I just wanted to see the edition. I recently returned this, but I just forgot some minor details."

 And so, Jungkook had to lend the book again to the other lad, who instantly browsed amd scoured for more information he can get.

Handing the book back to Jungkook, the lad smiled.

"Gamsahamnida. By the way, I'm Park Jimin, and I'm born on October 13, 1995, and my blood type is A. How about you?"

Jungkook briefly observed Jimin. Sure, Jimin was short, yet he had that refreshing air about him that contrasted with Jungkook's sullen current behavior.

"Jeon Jungkook, September 1, 1997, Type A." Typical Virgo, very laconic.

Jimin beamed even more. "Ah jeongmal? I'm hyung, then! Are you from around here?"

"Nope, I'm from Busan," Jungkook brusquely said. He didn't want to lengthen the conversation time. He just wanted to get this over with and eat his lunch.

"Whoa! I'm from Busan too!"

"Hyung, I appreciate it if you finish it immediately. I haven't had lunch yet, and I need to study for Chemistry." 

Jimin's smile waned. "Oh, I'm sorry if I bothered you too much. I need to eat too. Well, see you around, Jungkook-ssi."

Jungkook looked on as he saw Jimin's retreating back. The latter sighed as he headed to the librarian. He then returned to his classroom to do about with his task.