Annoying Housemate

When I Finally Looked At You...

Jungkook raised an eyebrow when he saw a hauling truck parked in front of his cousin's house. He sneered. The money-hungry that Jiyeon is, she wanted to get hold of any means to earn more inncome despite her very handsome salary as an editor-in-chief at a very prestigious fashion magazine. And now, she was even adding in more lodgers.

It also meant that Jiyeon was home earlier than usual. Her secondhand Honda was parked after the truck.

"I'm home," Jungkook announced to no one as he entered the house. 

"Ah, Jungkook-ah, come here, help our new boarder haul his things to the room beside yours," Jiyeon called out from the kitchen while she was chopping some vegetables.

The lad, after putting his bag in the couch, obediently started to carry the laptop bag and a bag filled with pillows down to the said room. 

He was about to open the door when it opened, and the new lodger halted in surprise.

"Oh? Hi Jungkook-ssi!

It was none other than Park Jimin.

Jungkook, not knowing how to respond, handed Jimin his possessions.

"Wow, thanks, man. I'm excited to be your new housemate!"

"It's nothing, hyung." Jungkook said as he his heels and headed outside. Jimin followed Jungkook, who climbed up on the truck and grabbed some more stuff.

"You know, you didn't have to help me," Jimin said as he grabbed his duffel.

"Yeah, I wish I didn't have to help, except that my shark of a cousin will yank my ears for being a very inconsiderate co-host...which happens to be your co-lodger," Jungkook bitterly said.

Jimin chuckled as he slung the bag on his shoulders. "You're very cute, do you know that?"

A feeling of disgust hit Jungkook to the pit of his stomach. He didn't know if Jimin was being serious or he was being gay.

"Mwoh?"

Jimin laughed again. "You need to clean your ears, Jungkookie."

Now, Jungkook was at the end of his patience. He jumped off the truck, grabbed Jimin by his uniform 's collar, and slammed him on the truck's body.

He hissed in anger. "What's with the nickname, buddy? We're not even close! So stop calling me that! And leave me alone!"

Releasing Jimin from his grip, Jungkook gathered what he got from the truck.

 

****

It turns out, Jimin isn't one who goes down without a fight. He instantly became friends with Jiyeon and her boyfriend Jin, with Yoongi, and two other housemates, Namjoon and Hoseok. 

One Saturday night, the vultures were on the living room, watching baseball. Jiyeon and Jin were in the kitchen, preparing snacks for the lodgers. The latter, meanwhile, were happily pumping their fists on the air when their favorite player got a home run. 

It was in this rowdy state when Jungkook came home from a singing gig in Hongdae.

Carrying his guitar, he looked at the game for a few seconds before he went inside his room. 

"Jungkookie, welcome home!" Jimin called out when he saw his housemate about to close the door.

Namjoon smiled like a Chesire Cat. "Eyyy, since when had you become too chummy with Jungkook? That kid seems like a hermit! He enjoys playing video games in the comforts of his room."

Jimin turned his head and beamed a smile. "Jeongmal? He's a video game freak? Cool! I love video games!"

Yoongi and Hoseok guffawed.

"Yaaaaaaaahhhh...you two are peas in a pod!" Hoseok commented.

While they were talking, Jin appeared, carrying a tray of delicious meat and treats.

****

Jungkook, meanwhile, eavesdropped from his door before actually closing it. He placed his guitar in its stand, and taking his shirt off, grabbed his towel as he headed for his bed. He was sweating, and he needed to dry himself before taking a bath.

He was beat, but he was satisfied. Recalling his stint at the street performance earlier that afternoon till evening, he smiled. Sure, he just learned guitar just over six months ago, but he was now a pro. He was Jeon Jungkook, and he was capable of doing whatever he sets his mind into. And so now, he is the lead guitarist of an indie band formed by him and two of his friends, one from Busan and the other from Daegu. His friend from Daegu, Kim Taehyung, who is the pianist and lead singer, is his schoolmate. Na Baek Hyun the drummer, his neighbor from Busan, studied in another school. Jungkook was also proficient in the piano, but he liked the guitar anyway.

A sudden feeling of homesickness hit him. Back in Busan, he'd watch a game with his father and brother on a Saturday afternoon, and they'd get to eat at a small eatery afterwards, feasting on grilled pork skin and commenting on the game to no end. But now, he had no one to talk to, or share his current passion.

He took a bath and then immediately went back to his room without even eating, even after Jiyeon called him.

"Jiyeon-ah, is your cousin okay?" Jin asked worriedly.

Jiyeon waved off her hand. "Oh, he'll be fine. He's a big kid already, and he'll just come out when he becomes hungry."

But Jin wasn't convinced. He picked a paper plate and heaped it up with food. Then, he headed to Jungkook's room.

"Jungkook, it's me, Jin. I thought maybe you'd like something to eat."

The door opened. Jungkook looked up to Jin and smiled wanly as he thanked his hyung. Jin smiled as he bid the younger lad good night.

Meanwhile, Jimin was looking at the turn of events. He felt sorry for Jungkook, looking all forelorn and alone. He wished he could break the barriers that the reclusive youth was building around him, wanting to earn his trust.

***

"WHAT?" Jungkook angrily asked when he opened the door. To his surprise, it was Jimin. The latter stood there, unable to immediately say his intentions.

When he regained his senses, Jimin sheepishly smiled as he scratched his head.

"Uh, they told me you're a video game freak. I was thinking...maybe I could play with you sometime," was Jimin's shy proposal.

Jungkook blinked as he considered his options. He finally relented as he fully opened his door and let Jimin in his room.

"Just don't touch my things unnecessarily, arrasseo?" Jungkook warned. But his housemate only smiled.