Chapter Nine: Sehun

Lay Your Heart Next To Mine (I feel so alive)

“The look on your face.”

Sehun looked quickly towards Chen, unsure of what he’d just heard. “My face? What about it?” He realized in that second that he was gripping the steering wheel of his parked car much too tightly, his anxiety bleeding through easily.

Chen rolled his eyes. “Not your face, Sehun. The look on it. I know that look. You’re about to tell me something I don’t want to hear.”

That much was true, and Sehun was terrified.

But Luhan’s words less than a week ago, and more importantly the look of pain on his face when he’d realized something that not even Sehun had, were motivation enough to bring him to where he was at the moment.

He absolutely hadn’t been hiding Luhan away like a dirty little secret. At least not since he’d retrieved his balls and stopped denying the fact that he’d made a mistake that night at the bar, but that yes he very much was going to be a father. At least he hadn’t been doing it on purpose.

It was just that the idea of accepting the baby that Luhan was carrying around, was something so new and so delicate that Sehun wasn’t sure who he could trust with the information. It was likely a miracle that Suho had reacted so favorably, and while Kai was currently unhappy with Sehun, he wasn’t unhappy with the idea of the baby. But how would the others react? How would friends who had known Jae for so long and loved him and been his friend for years, take the news that Sehun had gone and gotten someone pregnant on the night of Jae’s funeral?

Still, Luhan’s words. His words had been eating away at Sehun no mater how Luhan had tried to brush them off, and regardless of how his e-mails had kept coming at a steady rate with no anger or obvious hurt in them.

Sehun didn’t need to hear the words from Luhan. He’d seen everything he needed to on Luhan’s face.

Now he was determined to set things right. He was determined to do right not only by his daughter, but by Luhan as well. Sehun was aiming to be a better man than he had been at the start, and maybe, just maybe, like the man he’d been before Jae’s death.

He was going to try at the very least.

“I’ve got to tell you something,” Sehun admitted, gazing out at the coffee shop. The day was mostly over and the sun wasn’t too far off from setting, meaning Sehun could see perfectly inside. Luhan was in there, and had been for quite some time, off to the side and supervising something to do with the art on the wall in the shop.

“Okay,” Chen eased out. “Tell me then.”

Sehun wanted to say that he felt like he could just blurt the news out, or that he trusted Chen not to hate him or judge him. But his throat was suddenly seizing up. Once he told Chen, everyone else would know, and that included Sehun’s family. There was absolutely no going back after he told Chen.

“Sehun,” Chen said, turning in his seat towards Sehun. “You do realize you can tell me anything, right? I mean, there are very few things I wouldn’t forgive you over. You didn’t rob a bank, right?’

Sehun gave a shake to his head.

“Kill someone? Get involved in espionage against your own country? Try to steal my super hot fiancé?”

At the last question Sehun jerked forward a bit, demanding to know, “She said yes?”

Chen gave him a strong smack to the arm and said, “Yes, of course she said yes. And you’d know that if you had bothered to call me this week at all.”

Sehun leaned forward, pressing his head against the top of the steering wheel. “I’m sorry. This week has been … pretty hectic. I’ve been a pretty crappy best friend.”

Chen, who was hardly ever one to hold a grudge, shrugged after only a few more seconds and said, “Hey, it’s no big deal. I went drinking with Kai to celebrate. He was more than happy to drink me under the table and then take unflattering photos of me for potential future blackmail. You know, all the things that friends do to each other.”

Genuinely Sehun said, “I’m really happy for you. I knew she’d say yes.”

Clearing his throat, Chen said, “Sehun, I’ll be more than happy to talk about my future marital plans with you any time you want other than this. But I really want to know what’s going on with you now. Why do you look like you’re afraid to tell me something? Why are we here? Are you okay?”

“Am I okay?” Sehun said, an eyebrow arched.

“Relatively speaking,” Chen added.

Once more Sehun caught sight of Luhan through the coffee shop windows.

It was hyperbole whenever someone claimed that pregnant people glowed. Of course Jae had looked even more beautiful to Sehun when he’d been pregnant, and it was a lie not to admit that Jae’s skin had looked healthier, and his hair glossier. But there wasn’t actually a shine to anyone pregnant.

But Luhan didn’t need that kind of metaphorical shine. With the bright, happy smile on his face, he was absolutely breath taking. He was stunning. He looked healthy and alive and the now obvious curve to his stomach wasn’t something that made Sehun’s heart beat fast in anything but admiration. Luhan was like the sun, warm and steady and full of life. Luhan didn’t need a so-called pregnancy glow, he shinned all on his own.

“You’re my best friend Chen,” Sehun found himself saying, turning back to the man in the car. “If I can’t tell you this, I don’t deserve to call you that.”

“This is something serious,” Chen inferred, face setting into something akin to a stoic look.

Sehun asked him, “How much do you remember from that night at the bar?”

The confusion on Chen’s face was clear. “That night at the bar? Come on, Sehun, you have to be a little more specific than that?”

“The night of the funeral.”

“Oh,” Chen sighed out. “That night.”

Sehun wondered, “You knew I left with someone, right? That’s what you told Suho. You passed out eventually from the alcohol, but you knew I left with someone.”

Gently, Chen said, “You were in so much pain that night, Sehun. I have never seen you like that before, and I never want to see it again. I thought maybe getting drunk off our asses would help, but I think it only made things worse for you. If you needed to blow off a little steam with a stranger, no one is going to judge you for that.”

“Even on the night that I buried my family?”

“Especially then,” Chen said, and he sounded absolute. “You were barely holding it together that night. I think you get a free pass, no questions asked.”

“Not from this,” Sehun mumbled.

“Huh?”

Abruptly, Sehun asked, “Do you know any realtors?”

Once more confusion was pulling at Chen. “Realtors? No. Not really. I mean, I think Chanyeol dated one about a year ago, remember? Why?” Chen looked startled all of the sudden. “Sehun, are you … do you want to move? Are you thinking of going? Of leaving? That is not okay. I thought we were--”

“Stop,” Sehun said, cutting him off before he could get worked up. “I’m just thinking of selling the house and getting a place closer to my work.”

The panic wasn’t ebbing completely from Chen as he asked, “Are you lonely in that house? It’s okay to admit if you are. There are a lot of memories there.”

That was part of it, Sehun couldn’t deny. But there were just as many good memories as bad. It simply came down to Sehun imagining his life years from now. He’d have a little girl dashing around that was half him, and she’d spend at least some of her time with him. That meant she’d be sleeping over. Was Sehun going to have to fix the nursery up from the wasted mess it currently was? How could he even contemplate putting his daughter who’d lived, in a room that had been intended for a daughter who’d died.

“I want a fresh start,” Sehun said eventually. “I want a place where … where …”

Here it was. Here was the moment.

Chen pressed, “Where?”

“Where my new family can be comfortable,” Sehun said, because that was what Luhan and the baby were. “And where I can be comfortable with them.”

“I’m confused,” Chen said right away.

Sehun raised a finger and pointed. “Do you see that coffee shop? See the guy inside who’s pregnant?”

Chen strained in his seat and Sehun tried to be patient.

“Oh, I see him,” Chen said, then looked back to Sehun. “What about him?”

Sehun swallowed hard. “That’s my kid he’s pregnant with.”

Mouth parted, Chen’s eyes darted back to Luhan. He said nothing, leaving Sehun in an agonizing wait, and continued to stare.

Sehun almost felt obligated to say, “That’s Luhan. The night at the bar, he’s the one I took home. I slept with him and we didn’t use protection. He’d pregnant. That’s my baby. I want to sell my house and get a new place because I want the baby we’re having not to be overshadowed by the baby that I never got to have.”

“Are you serious?” Chen asked, but Sehun couldn’t detect the tone used.

“Very,” Sehun said. “I just found out recently he’s pregnant. We’re not … it’s not like we’re in love, Chen. We didn’t make this baby out of love. We made it out of lust. But we both decided that we have to be good parents for her. We have to try to be that. She deserves it.”

Wavering Chen asked, “Her?”

Sehun slumped a little in his seat. “It’s a girl.”

With a hand on Sehun’s shoulder, Chen inquired, “Are you okay with this? You kind of sound okay with this, surprising.”

“I’m terrified,” Sehun said, shaking his head. “I don’t know how to be a father. And up until recently, I walked around with my head up my about the fact that I was going to be one. I … I used to feel that acknowledging the baby I made with Luhan, meant disrespecting my daughter that died. I still feel that way now. Sometimes. I just know that I didn’t do this on purpose, but I have to accept it. I have to take responsibility. I have to be there for Luhan and her.”

Doing some rough math on his fingers, Chen asked, “So this Luhan guy is around four months?”

Sehun corrected, “He’ll be five very soon. God, Chen, do you hate me?”

“Hate you?” Chen asked, surprised at the question. “Sehun, you’re my best friend. You’d have to do something much worse than this for me to hate you.”

Shoulders falling in a release of air, Sehun said, “If you were at least angry, I’d understand. Jae was your friend. I got another man pregnant on the day of his funeral.”

Chen pushed his fingers through his hair and was quiet again for some time before stating, “You didn’t cheat on him, Sehun. I really wish you’d used either protection or your brain that night at the bar, but I understand why both were the last things considered. And I mean what I say. You didn’t cheat on Jae. You didn’t dishonor him. And you can bet your he’d want you to get a shot at being a father again.”

Sehun said lowly, “That’s what people keep telling me.”

“Then maybe they’re saying the right thing.”

“Maybe,” Sehun said.

Chen remarked, “Well, at least we know you two are going to have a cute baby.”

That was something Sehun could nod about confidently. Luhan was probably one of the more gorgeous men Sehun had ever seen in his life. There was something downright ethereal about him. He was special in his attractiveness, Sehun would argue, and their daughter was going to be the cause of all kinds of nightmares for Sehun when she was old enough to start noticing boys.

Or, Sehun realized horrifically, when boys were old enough to start noticing her.

Or girls.

Oh, no, he had to stop thinking about it immediately.

She was going to be more than just a looker. Sehun could see her now, taller than average with Luhan’s big eyes and Sehun’s cheekbones. No one would be unable to see her natural beauty, and Sehun just hoped that he’d have an ally in Luhan when he had to get out the baseball bat for the first person who showed up at the door to take her out.

“--he like?”

“Sorry,” Sehun said quickly, zoning back in. “I was .. .thinking.”

“What’s he like?” Chen repeated. “This Luhan who’s having your baby. What’s he like as a person?”

Feeling foolish with how big the smile on his face was stretching, Sehun said, “In a word? Amazing. He’s an artist, Chen. He paints. And he seems to be really level headed, thinks things through, and doesn’t act irrationally unless there’s a reason for it. When I was being an to him about the baby, denying it, he let me know just what kind of a coward I was being. Then he didn’t give up on me. He kept pushing until I managed to get to this point. Chen, I like being at this point.”

Quietly, Chen said, “Sounds like you really like this guy.”

“We get along pretty easily,” Sehun chuckled out. “I always swear I’m going to say the wrong thing around him, and sometimes I do, but he’s patient. He’s going to be a great father, Chen. I’m lucky it was him I took home.”

It was a scary idea, but he was starting to creep towards the point where he couldn’t imagine not receiving Luhan’s e-mails. They were still a little awkward now, still getting used to each other, but Sehun could have seen himself being friends with Luhan regardless of the tie they now shared.

“Sehun, I’m cautiously happy for you,” Chen said, giving Sehun the validation to keep breathing normally. “Be careful, okay? But be happy, too.”

Sehun confessed, “I’d started to think I’d never feel happy again.”

Eyebrows pulling together, Chen asked, “This baby makes you feel that way?”

Sehun cautioned sternly, “She didn’t at first. But that’s because I was being an . But now I feel her move and I’m happy. I remember what it feels like to be happy. I think about getting to hold her and hug her and that part of me that hurts so badly from the accident …”

Chen guessed, “It hurts a little less?”

Sehun nodded.

“Okay, then,” Chen said, reaching for the lock on his door.

“What are you doing?” Sehun asked, eyes widening.

A little irritation creeping onto his face, Chen asked, “You could have told me about your impending fatherhood anywhere, right? You must have brought me down here for a reason, and I’m going to guess you want to get my stamp of approval on Luhan. You want me to meet him.”

Without any gusto, Sehun admitted, “Luhan thinks I’m not telling my friends about him or the baby because I’m ashamed of them. He wants his friends and my friends to all be friends, because we’ll be spending the next few decades around each other. I don’t want Luhan to think that.”

“And it’s important to you what Luhan thinks?” Chen asked, an edge to his words.

Sehun frowned. “Of course it is,” he eased out.

With a shoulder shrug, Chen asked, “Why’d you wait so long to tell me? Did you really think I’d hate you? Or try to lecture you or something?”

Fighting back a grimace, Sehun said, “I guess I just wasn’t ready to let the people I care about the most, know how badly I’d messed up. I didn’t want to lose anyone over this. Just for once, I want things to go my way.”

Chen ducked out of the car suddenly, getting to his feet and shutting the door. Sehun had to scramble after him as fast as he could to catch Chen saying, “Then you should introduce us. I’m your best friend. That makes the baby Luhan is pregnant with my niece. I’m going to want playdate rights, and when I have children of my own, I want them and your daughter to grow up knowing they’re family.”

Unsure, Sehun asked, “You really want me to introduce you?”

“You really want to,” Chen corrected, “or else I doubt you would have brought me here to tell me. Now come on, you can buy me coffee and sit there nervously while I talk to Luhan.”

Chen was already hurrying to the coffee shop and Sehun rushed after him, calling out, “Chen! Promise you’ll be nice to him! Chen! He’s emotionally unstable right now!”

Sehun knew he’d been spotted the second he made it through the door, Chen already a good distance ahead of him. A man that Sehun hadn’t seen before, but who must have known who Sehun was for some reason, gave Luhan a soft pat to the arm and turned him towards the door.

“Sehun?” Luhan asked, surprised, but looking pleasantly so. “What are you doing here?”

Earlier that day Sehun had gotten a few candid shots from Luhan, the kind that made Sehun’s long days at work seem just a little easier to handle. Sehun had spent his lunch hour laughing over the captions Luhan had added to them, all of the comments witty and seemingly easily given. Even the questionable photos, the ones that were out of focus or less than flattering were attached, victory signs were still present in the lot of them by a seemingly unaffected Luhan.

That was another thing Sehun absolutely found wonderful about Luhan. Luhan’s confidence in himself was infectious and inspiring.

“Luhan,” Sehun said, wanting nothing more than to reach out and run his hand along the growing curve of Luhan’s stomach, “I was just in the area and I wanted to stop in and introduce you to someone.”

Chen a hand out to Luhan. “I’m Kim Jongdae.”

“He’s my best friend,” Sehun cut in. “And everyone calls him Chen.”

Luhan took Chen’s hand right away and shook it with what looked like a firm grasp. “It’s nice to meet you, then. Really nice.”

“I had to,” Chen said, giving a pointed look down to Luhan’s stomach. “We’re going to be interacting for a very long time. It would be better if we were friends, right? Plus, you’ll need someone to call when Sehun gets on your last nerve and you need to plot revenge.”

“Don’t even think about it,” Sehun said, but he was smiling as the words came out.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Luhan told Sehun evenly, then turned to Chen and stated, “I’ll put you on speed dial.”

“I like you,” Chen said. “Now, coffee please. It’s not every day I learn my best friend has gone and gotten himself into a strange and unexpected situation, even if it’s one that’s going to have a pretty good outcome. I need espresso. Lots of espresso.”

Sehun felt a little left out as Luhan pulled Chen towards the cash register asking, “This can’t be the first time Sehun’s gotten you into a strange and unexpected situation.”

“No,” Chen said easily. “Now that I think about it, you’re right.”

It was the only time Sehun could remember such an amazingly good feeling from being left behind.

And as if the hand of fate was finally being dealt towards him, Sehun watched in wonder as Chen and Luhan got along like they were old friends. There was no animosity or awkwardness between them, and Sehun couldn’t help feeling he’d dodged a huge bullet.

When Chen went to use the restroom Sehun slid into the seat next to Luhan, pressing in close so their arms touched. “I’m glad you’re getting along better with my best friend than I got along with yours.”

“That’s a work in progress,” Luhan laughed out. “And Chen’s nice. He’s really nice. He seems like a great best friend.”

Sehun couldn’t help smelling Luhan’s aftershave, which was so strong it must have been recently applied. He found himself telling Luhan, “He’s not faking it, you know. Chen is very respectful, even to people he doesn’t like, but he’s not pretending with you. He’s enjoying himself. He likes you.”

Luhan nudged his glass of tea a little across the table and said, “Now if only we could get Xiumin to like you.”

Sehun was quizzical for a second, then posed, “How about we save that for another day and try for our best friends liking each other. I only really cared about you getting to meet Chen, but I’d also like it if he could meet Xiumin. I don’t see him around here, though.”

“He’s still at work,” Luhan replied, settling back against the arm that Sehun had across the back of his chair. “He’s studying to be a vet right now, which means he’s pulling some long hours every couple of days. And when he gets off work, sometimes the last thing he wants to do is come down here where a bunch of rowdy high school kids are hanging out.”

“You’re hanging out too,” Sehun pointed out.

“I live upstairs.” Luhan gestured to the paintings across the coffee shop that were hanging up. “When I’m not there I mostly float around here in my spare time hoping someone will like my work enough to buy it.”

“Those are yours?” Sehun asked, blinking rapidly at the new information.

“They’re mine,” Luhan confirmed. “Kris, his parents own this place, encouraged me to put them up. I’ve sold a few.”

Sehun looked the pictures over. He certainly wasn’t one for art in the more traditional medium, and he couldn’t really be a judge of what was good or not. But Luhan’s paintings, which were vibrant and full of energy, were compelling to look at. And sort of familiar. Sehun couldn’t place it, but he was sure he’d seen some of Luhan’s very distinct work somewhere else.

“They’re nice,” Sehun said, hoping he sounded sincere. “I really like them.”

Luhan gave him a trying look. “You don’t have to pretend to like them.”

“I’m definitely not pretending. In fact, I think I’m going to buy one.”

Luhan hid his face in his hands. “Great. Just what I need. A pity purchase.”

With a frown, Sehun looked once more to the artwork lining the walls of the coffee shop. “It wouldn’t be a pity purchase,” Sehun said. The art was spectacular the more he looked at it. “But how about we do something else?”

Luhan looked up. “Like what?’

Sehun saw Chen exit the bathroom an rushed to say, “I think I’m going to move. I want to get a new house, closer to my work office. I don’t want to push away my past, but I want to make room for my future. I’m going to need something to go on those new walls. Can I commission some of your art?”

“Sorry,” Chen said, arriving back at their table. “There was a line. Hey, Luhan is it always this packed here? This coffee shop is making Starbucks look like a ghost town.”

Luhan returned the kind look. “It’s almost always this busy, but I think that’s a good thing. Starbucks is fine, but it’s very generic. Here I feel like you get a personalized experience, and a place to sit where you’re not rushed and you can feel at home no matter how long you stay. I’ve been coming here for years and it’s only gotten busier. Plus, it probably helps they have the best coffee in the greater Seoul area.”

Chen’s eyes narrowed as he spied Luhan’s cup. “You’re not drinking coffee, are you? I know pregnant people aren’t supposed to have that much caffeine.”

“Chen,” Sehun hissed. “That’s none of your business. It’s my baby not yours. And I trust Luhan’s judgment.”

As if there’d been no offense, Luhan said, “I’m drinking tea. And yes, before you ask, I know that quite a few teas have more caffeine than coffee, but not in this case. I am limiting my caffeine intake. This baby, Chen, is very important to me. I won’t do anything to jeopardize it. You don’t have to worry about that.”

Sehun felt absolutely smug as Chen’s eyebrows crawled their way up into his hairline in astonishment.

“Oh, wow,” Luhan siad, pressing a hand to his stomach. “It seems like my daughter is agreeing. She’s giving quite the argument for laying off caffeine as well.”

Before Sehun could register what was happening Luhan had his wrist in firm grip. He pressed Sehun’s hand flat against his stomach and had an expectant smile on his face.

“There she is,” Sehun breathed out when he felt the kicks. “Wow. You’re right.” The fluttering under his palm was stronger now than it had ever been.

Luhan asked Chen, “Do you want to feel? You’re going to be one of her uncles, right?”

“I’m good,” Chen said with a laugh. “But thanks.”

What Sehun noticed the most, as one particularly nice barista showered them with cakes and sweets that she absolutely wouldn’t take payment for, and the man from earlier who’d caught Luhan’s attention when Sehun had entered set himself up on a stool in the corner with a guitar in hand, was that there was nothing hard or uncomfortable about hanging out with Luhan. There was nothing awkward about Chen and Luhan occupying the same space. They could chat easily about almost any topic, their combined sense of humor meant they were laughing almost constantly. And even more importantly, as of late Sehun had been attempting to use boring yet ultimately time consuming work to act as a distraction to the thoughts occupying his mind. But being here with Luhan, the thoughts hadn’t made themselves known even once. He’d felt no guilt about enjoying himself with Luhan, or feeling their daughter kick.

“Live music?” Chen all but demanded. “This place has live music?”

Luhan thumbed towards the man with the guitar. “That’s Lay. I think you’ll like when he sings. He’s got an amazing voice. But yes, every other night for a few hours, after the high school kids have gone home to have dinner with their families, the coffee shop devotes a couple hours to anyone who wants to sing some songs. And hey, that’s not the only thing. Once in a while a brave soul gets up there to do a poetry reading. We all try to be supportive, even if it’s not something we particularly want to hear. Plus, it’s only for a few hours.”

Chen turned to Sehun. “Why didn’t you tell me about the most amazing coffee shop on the planet?”

Sehun eased out, “Because I didn’t know about it?”

“It’s true,” Luhan said, coming to his defense with a grin. “But don’t blame Sehun. We just haven’t had a chance to get together here. Sehun and I have been trying to take this slow, and to make as few mistakes as possible.”

Definitively, Chen said, “I’m telling all our friends about this place. And I’m telling them about you too, Luhan. They’re going to like you.”

The strumming of guitar strings forced Luhan to turn away from Chen in his seat, but not before Sehun caught the pleased smile on his face.

For the next few hours Sehun, in the company of Luhan and Chen, and then Lay who was well spoken and direct, but also very respectful, simply let himself enjoy the moment. Buzzed by caffeine he clapped for the performers, teased Luhan about the commission he seriously wanted, let Chen share with Luhan all the embarrassing stories of their time in high school, and not for one second felt like he was betraying Jae when Luhan smiled at him and Sehun’s stomach nearly ate itself with happiness.

“This is my number,” Luhan said when the shop was starting to clear out and he had Chen’s phone in his hand. He put his contact information into the phone easily and then handed it back. “Call me some time. We’ll hang out. And invite your friends to come hang out here.”

Chen pocketed his phone and asked, “Is there going to be an open mic night on Saturday?”

Arms crossed over his stomach, Luhan gave a nod. “There should be. Why? Are you thinking of coming?”

“You don’t sing,” Sehun said with disbelief.

“There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me, best friend,” Chen said, then promised Luhan to call and told Sehun, “We should get going. I’ll wait by the car.”

To his credit, Luhan waited until the door was firmly shut behind Chen before saying, “He’s a really amazing best friend, Sehun. He’s really cool.”

Sehun choked out, “Don’t let him hear you say all that praise. I’ll never hear the end of it. Or he might end up liking you better than me.”

Playfully Luhan tapped Sehun’s jaw. “I’d never steal your best friend away. Don’t worry. No matter how nice he is, he’s your best friend.”

“Good.” Sehun tried not to linger on how Luhan’s fingers had felt against his skin. “Because that’s my awesome best friend and I’ll fight to the death for him.”

“As it should be.”

Sehun paused to offer a wave to Lay who was slipping away. The man, who he’d learned was of Chinese nationality like Luhan, and probably a factor as to why they were such good friends, had been personable and welcoming. He’d known who Sehun was before Luhan had introduced them, which meant he probably knew about the early stages of Luhan’s pregnancy when Sehun hadn’t been able to cope. The fact that Lay was still treating him with any sort of human dignity, was something to be grateful for.


“I want to thank you.”

When Sehun looked to Luhan once more, the mischievous grin was gone from his face, replaced by something much more serious. “For what?”

“You know for what,” Luhan huffed. “I made a big deal about not wanting to be the secret hiding in your closet, and you made sure I wasn’t.”

Sehun told him, “Firstly, you did not make a big deal about it. And secondly, this isn’t something you should thank me about. Frankly, you were right. I mean, I wasn’t doing it on purpose, but I wasn’t telling my friends about you, either.” He ran a hand through his bangs, wishing they were speaking somewhere a bit more private instead of the middle of a coffee shop. “I don’t want to hide you. I don’t want to act like our baby is something I’m ashamed of. I’m serious about wanting to try to be a good father.”

“You’re doing just fine,” Luhan said. He bumped his belly against Sehun. “No complaints here so far. And I’ll be sure to let you know when I have them … particularly when my emotions get the best of me, and probably when I’m crying over something that isn’t even a big deal.”

A smile cracked on Sehun’s face. “Chen was the first, but he won’t be the last. I’m going to tell all the people in my life that are important to me that I’m gong to be a father.”

Luhan raised a finger. “If any of them don’t support you, you let me know and I’ll beat them up. I’m always going on about how you need to support me with this baby, but you need support too. You deserve support, and it should come from your closest friends.”

“I hope they’ll support me,” Sehun said, and it was true that the two people he’d worried the most about, Suho and Chen, had come through for him. But what about the others? What about Baekhyun who’d been best friends with Jae before Sehun even came around, and who was hit the hardest with his death?

“Tell them when you’re ready,” Luhan said, guiding him to the door.

At that Sehun laughed openly. “I’m sure Chen is already on the phone to someone, raving about how I’ve got this awesome guy who’s willing to put up with me, who’s kind and smart and funny. Nope, I think the cat’s out the bag.”

Luhan leaned on the coffee shop’s door. “We’re not dating, Sehun. I hope Chen won’t phrase it that way, either.”

Oh. Sehun realized it did sort of sound like he was describing someone he was in a relationship with. Oh, god, that had sounded really bad.

“I just meant …”

“Because,” Luhan intercepted, “I don’t want to cause any more trouble in your life. You shouldn’t have to deal with people hounding you, thinking that you cared so little for your husband that you moved on so quickly. Don’t let them think that of you, Sehun. You’re better than that.”

Was he? He was the man who’d gone and gotten someone pregnant less than a week after his husband had died--after his daughter had died, and on the very day that his family had been put into the ground. He’d kissed Luhan with more than just ual attraction, and had with him on the bed that Sehun had done the same with his husband on.

“Sehun.” Luhan put a gentle hand on Sehun’s arm. “If and when you tell them, run the coffee shop by them. Chen seemed interested in Saturday night, and maybe one or more of them could tag along. If not this week, maybe next. I could clear my friend’s schedules and we could all meet up together. Think about it.”

The decision was made before Sehun could stop himself. “I’ll do you one better. This Saturday I’ll make sure they’re here. You do the same for your friends. Deal?”

Luhan perked. “Deal.”

Sehun exited through the door, promising, “I was serious about commissioning some art from you. Get on it before the third trimester.

It was a little worrisome how pretty Luhan looked when he blushed at Sehun’s words.

“That,” Chen said the second Sehun was back in the car, “actually went a lot better than I expected.”

Sehun shot him a sour look. “You thought Luhan was going to be a terrible person?”

Chen shrugged. “You didn’t exactly pick him that night at the bar for his stunning personality--which I’ll admit, is pretty awesome. But the fact remains, I’m not stupid, Sehun. I know you went home with him that night because he looks like Jae. So for all I knew I was walking into that coffee shop to talk with some airhead who couldn’t count to ten.”

Sehun froze. “It’s that obvious, isn’t it?”

“That he looks like Jae?” Chen gave him a concerned look. “Yes. But Luhan is not him. Luhan is … a lot more aggressive.”

“Aggressive?”

Chen clarified, “Confident. Jae was a people pleaser. I can tell, Luhan isn’t like that at all. He’s kind and not selfish, but he knows what he wants and he does it. He knows what he likes, and he doesn’t settle. Luhan’s personality is nothing like Jae’s, no matter how much alike they look.”

After a minute more, Sehun asked, “But you like him? You think he’s nice?”

Chen forced a smile. “I do think he’s nice, Sehun. And I really appreciate that you finally told me, and that it matters to you if we get along. But in the end this is on you. You’re the other father to that baby. You’re the one who’s going to be seeing Luhan’s face for a couple of decades now at least. The only thing that matters is if you like Luhan.”

“I do,” Sehun said right away. “A lot.”

“I can tell,” Chen replied. “And that’s what I’m worried about.”

“What?” Sehun asked, absolutely confused. “I don’t understand.”

Chen reached for his seatbelt. “That’s just it, Sehun. I’m scared for the moment you do.”

Slotting his keys into the ignition, Sehun turned the engine over and shot Chen one last strange look. “You’re lucky you’re my best friend.”

Chen rolled his eyes. “You have no idea how many times a week I know you’re the lucky one to have me.”