Three

Once Upon a Spell

 

Three

 

Suzy frowned looking at her reflection in the bathroom mirror. It had been another week of disappointments.


Her chemistry professor had picked at her with every given chance, and her colleagues were all the worse. She gained a reputation of being strange and peculiar, and she came to realize being different wasn't always welcomed in this realm.

She had only one year to experience this magic-free living. It was according to the pact she had made with the elders. They granted her one year to try her luck. Should she succeed, she could bring about a great change in the wizarding world, showing them the error in their ways. But should she fail, and they were so sure she would, she would be brought back to her life as a witch, and a leader in training, never to object the given.

Three months had passed already, and she was nowhere near reaching her goal. In fact, she had faced so much difficulty that she was beginning to question her own beliefs.

Caught in her thoughts, the doorbell rang. She wore her violet, satin robe and lazily made her way to the door.

"Seung gi-ssi! Welcome." Despite her general misfortune, she couldn't help but smile watching his smile. She allowed him inside.

"I came to thank you," he begun, "I had an okay interview, it's been ages since my last okay interview!"

She chuckled softly. "I'm glad." She said as they sat on the sofa.

His sight wandered around her home. He quite liked her sense of decor. There was always something new to notice.

"When will you know if you've got the job?"

"They should call me in about a week." He answered. "I can't help but think all the improvement came from the tea you offered, how did you know it was just what I needed?"

"I um..." Suzy nervously stuttered for a reply. "Marigold is known for having calming properties." She replied. "All the rest was you." She gave him an encouraging smile and he returned.

"Thank you."

He watched her eyes adorably watching his; she looked down to her lap at the intensity of his stare. Her ponytail came a little undone and some strands of her hair fell down. He held himself back from fixing them behind her ear.

"Seung gi-ssi?"

"Yes?"

"Have you ever felt...? I don't know really... uneasy? Like you're suddenly losing confidence?"

"We've all experienced it at one point I guess. What happened?"

“Well," she began. "I'm finding school to be more challenging. The classes alone are of course... but I'm getting more alienated. My classmates rarely speak to me."

He watched her cautiously, carefully planning his words.

"Have you given them a chance?" He asked. “Being in a room full of strangers in a new year is always challenging, they're just as nervous as you are. It’d be okay to take the first move, regardless of how they behave now.”      

Suzy contemplated his words. She wasn’t really active socially. Just then, as if on cue, music blared. It came from one of the apartments above them. Seung gi told her they were having a party.

"A party?" he nodded as she stared.

“They have plenty of parties towards the middle of the school year. You should consider joining one.”

Parties, where she's from, are normally a celebration of a full moon and the conjoined concept of femininity and creation. The witches bless the plants while chanting in the forest.

“I should get going then, thank you again.”

She escorted him to the door.

 

---

 

“I like your dress.” Park Hana complimented. She enjoyed her classmate’s sense of style. It seems fresh and whimsical. She had on a wavy pink, chiffon dress.

“Oh! Thank you.” Suzy replied with a smile as she offered her a seat.

Though there were a plenty of things Hana found weird about her, she always had something new to offer. It was entertaining to her. They became friends over time.

They opened their books and begun to study. The sunlight from the many windows of the old library building allowed a proper setting.

Suzy’s eyes lifted from her book just in time as a young man passed them, carrying books and folders. He sat across them, flashing his friends a captivating smile. He had brown hair and an athletic body, complete with a light tan.

Suzy nudged Hana. “What’s his name?”

“That’s Oh Do Su. He’s a history major I believe. He’s quite popular, you can tell why.”

They chuckled.

He was handsome and successful. He caught her eyes, and perhaps he could be a proper target. She had eight more months to make him fall for her.

 

---

 

Suzy took her plant pots of rose and lavender to the window, allowing it to be greeted by the moonlight. The moon was full. She then sat against the windowsill and listened to the music and busy atmosphere of the party above her. Two different types of parties were taking place at once, she thought to herself.

One more week and she will be having a party of her own, no moon, no plants and no witches this time. Taking Seung gi’s advice, she invited him and a small group of her classmates, including Hana and Oh Do Su, over to her apartment. Drinks and music have always managed to bring people closer, it seemed. She needed that opportunity.

“Sujelle!”

“Mom?” Suzy exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh darling!” Mrs. Baellruth hugged her daughter. She had seemingly transported to her place. “I’ve missed you”

“So did I mom.”

“The elders are quite annoyed with your departure,” Mrs. Baellruth begun. “Some of the young witches are trying to follow suit.”

Suzy sighed as she led her mother towards the sofa.

“I guess I expected it.”

“They wanted you to go back immediately.”

“What! Mother I can’t, not now. They promised me a year. This isn’t fair…”

“I know.”  She interrupted. “That’s why I pulled some strings.” She smiled. “The top they could offer is two more months. They said your act is a rebellion against all we’ve known.” She placed an arm over Suzy’s shoulder. “It’s the best I could manage.”

Suzy sighed in frustration. Two months were nowhere near what she expected. It was far too little. And yet she could either take her chance, no matter how slight, or accept a fate she couldn’t change. Both options were difficult, but she was here on a mission.

“I brought you something.” Her mother announced. She opened her bag to show her a red crystal. Suzy could remember seeing it in a closed box in the attic. She never knew what it was.

“They call it a passion crystal. It’s long been forbidden in the magic realm, I guess it’d be fine for you to keep it here.” She watched Suzy’s eyes glittering. “I think it would help you. The crystal is supposed to light up when in proximity to the one you’re meant to be with.” She explained. “It never lit up for your father.”

She fell silent, before looking up again. “I cared for him deeply, I guess the crystal only lights when it’s love and pure passion.” She calmly spoke. “I don’t think I believe in love, but I do want you to find it if it’s out there.” She held her hand. “I want you to have better.”

Suzy took the crystal into her hands. It felt cold, with a stunning red shade.

“I’ll always be on your side.”

“I know mom, thank you.”

Saying goodbye to her mother, Suzy glanced at the calendar. Two more months. She had to take drastic measures now.