Two

Once Upon a Spell

 

Exhaust fans and fire extinguishers gave the chemistry laboratory a rather eerie feel. Smells of aromatic oils filled the students’ noses.

“Please choose a partner and use the samples on the counters in front of you to prepare an even mixture of cardamon and anise oil” the professor announced.

Suzy glanced around the room. She was rather unfamiliar with her colleagues. A pleasant looking young woman approached her introducing herself as Park Hana and asked to be lab partners.

Hana stood in confusion as her new lab partner was mumbling something under her breath while spraying some of the cardamon oil on her right shoulder.

“Bless us, Venus.”

“What are you doing?”

“The blessing rituals.” Suzy replied. Upon receiving a puzzled stare, she explained, “we’ll prepare a lust elixir right?”

“No…” Hana swallowed eyes wide. “We’ll prepare a cough elixir.”

Suzy froze as Hana continued to watch her.

“I’m just kidding.” She smiled uneasily.

Her day went from bad to worse as Hana kept a steady space from her, the tutor scolded her second attempt of making the elixir, and her colleagues figured she’s a failure. To think that at another land, she was the most brilliant student!

Reminding herself of why she came to the mortal lands, Suzy heaved a sigh, lifted her hair to a bun and returned to her work. This quest won’t end in failure, she swore.

---

His quest ended in another failure, Seung gi sighed. He forgot the speciality of the company he applied to, spending the interview dancing around the subject and resulting in awkwardness.

Checking for his messages, there were the usual three from his mother. She just wouldn’t give up. He ignored it, searching for Donna’s dish. Come to think of it, Donna didn’t give him her usual greeting. He searched under the shelves, in the flower pot and behind the toilet. She was nowhere to be found.

Getting a bad feeling, he was about to leave his apartment to look for her in the corridor, when he noticed the note on his door.

‘Mr. Lee,

Donna was scratching my door; I let her in for food.

Apartment 42B’

He rang the bell. Suzy opened and the first thing to greet him was the splendid scent that quite delicately tickled his senses.

His new neighbour was standing with Donna in her arms.

“Miss Bae.”

“Good afternoon. I figured she was hungry so I invited her inside. I hope you don’t mind that.”

He watched her doubtfully. It was so unlike Donna, but as she remained perfectly calm in Suzy’s arms, he could only believe the tale. He’d have to lock up better next time.

She offered him tea. Since he moved, he rarely found friends or made connections. There was something about this girl that felt different, like she deserves his trust.

As he walked in, the mixture of vanilla and rose became richer. He noticed it came from the many plant pots. Her décor was rather peculiar, with plenty of details. A table near the door had dried seeds and crystals, hanging on the wall were a few scrolls written in languages he couldn’t identify. Violet and silver were the most prominent colours.

A string drape led him to the living area, the tinkling of the beads escorting them. She sat on a couch and offered him a cup. They sat in silence for a short while. He observed the burning candles on the shelves. They created harmony with the paintings and he could tell she had a sophisticated taste for baroque and renaissance themes.

“Thank you, for helping Donna.”

“You’re welcome, so is she.” She smiled.

“You go to Yonsei University?” he asked and she nodded.

“I like your suit.”

He grimaced. He told her it was career related. As she pushed for more details, he explained about his unsuccessful attempts at finding a job and his uneasiness at interviews.

Seung gi was a rather quiet person. He definitely doesn’t share his life information with people he only just met. Yet her eyes were alluring. All he knew is that he wanted more of her company.

Suzy nodded in understanding. She knew a way to help, and yet she promised herself to abandon spells. Technically speaking, it wasn’t a spell at all.

“You seem to be troubled as well,” seeing her eyes widening, he continued, “you can tell me if you’d like.”

Suzy swallowed. The truth was, for the first time in her life, she felt alone. Her mother wasn’t there to nag her; she didn’t have the help of her previous tutors or friends, and Osdell…

“Miss Bae, are you alright?”

She snapped out of her thoughts. “My classmates aren’t fond of me at all,” she sighed. “I’ve been… um… making mistakes, and they find me different.”

“It’s always okay to be different.” He smiled. “You’re still new, they’ll get to know you and you’ll feel at ease with time.”

Suzy looked up. “Even if I don’t have any friends?”

“You can start with one.”

“Oh?”

The last rays of the afternoon sun came through the window and gave her hair wonderful highlights. A smile played on her lips with the offer. He only noticed the time as the old clock interrupted their serene moment, striking 6 pm. He placed his cup on the coffee table and stood to take his leave.

“One second!”

She hurried to the kitchen. She stood in front of the drawer in hesitation. Good witches offer help when they can, right?

Taking an empty container, she rushed to prepare a cold marigold tea. Instead of a charm, she simply wished for her concoction to work. Marigold brings opportunities and prosperity. Her cousin made it for her once as she was about to take her finales.

She handed him the golden drink. “it would help you relax, have some in the morning before your interviews.”

“That… it’s very thoughtful. Thank you!” he genuinely spoke.

“You’re welcome” she bowed back to him, closing her door.

She then turned to check for time. It passed rather quickly with him. Amid general misfortune, his company was quite a relief.