16.

Nothing Special

After that little event at Chuseok I noticed a few things about Namjoon. For one thing, we became closer with each other. Seeing him in the halls he would say a simple greeting or even 5 minutes before class we would just talk about even the most peculiar things – mostly about him and his other interests in music. I found it almost interesting how whenever he talks about music his eyes would just seem to spark with so much joy. Maybe because he finally found someone (a.k.a me) that was also interested in his things as well.

 

And another thing: I got his number. Yeah, I know. Crazy right? I told Yuna and Hoseok and they both gave me that knowing look, to which I had to keep repeating 'we are just friends'. But the more I say that the more I grew hesitant. We are friends... at least that's what I want us to be.

 

Do I still see him as an first time love? I'm trying not to. Yes, I still do find him attractive and charming in his own way. And yes, he has broken my heart (not intentionally of course). But I can't do anything about that. I can't just force myself to instantly fall out of love – but I wish I could.

 

It was getting harder to move on from him. It ached like hell, but I still am trying. Towards the end of October of the same month was also when I became his unofficial reviewer for his mix tapes. Not that I am complaining but still I found it pretty interesting about his own taste in music – even if hip-hop isn't really my favourite kind of music.

 

“So you think I should change the beat in a lower rhythm?” he asked me one day as he came into my classroom for lunch. I nodded, circling the notes on the lyrical paper.

 

“I think it will suit well for the chorus anyway. Just an opinion – but it might help out since you rap pretty fast.” I responded with a small smile.

 

The bell then rang for the end of lunch and he got up, grabbing his paper and his bag as it slung over his back so casually. “Thanks. Oh, and will you be free this week? I also have other mix tapes that needs some critic, if you don't mind.”

 

“This week?” I slumped my shoulders albeit. “can't. I have an assignment that's due soon.” he said it was alright and that he'll just give me a call or text for another time to hang out. As soon as he left the classroom I see my class mate Wheein waltzed right in, doing a double take to make sure who she saw wasn't just a figment of her imagination.

 

“Did the Kim Namjoon come into this classroom? To talk to you?” she pointed a finger in accusation. I sighed. She still can't get over the fact that Namjoon and I are close friends, despite the rumors that are long gone from before. I'm assuming she still is in denial.

 

“I told you, we are just friends. Nothing more than that,” I took out my notebook from my bag. “Why are people still talking about him anyway?”

 

She shrugged, running a hand through her hair. “Ani, I'm not accusing you for anything! I just find it weird how now you're the only girl he ever talks to.” that got my attention. I looked up and stared at her.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask. Pursing her lips her eyes widened in surprise.

 

Wheein leaned in closer. "Namjoon hardly talks to anyone besides his own friends. Even girls who try to talk to him he completely ignores. It's really weird...he seems to be very close with you."

 

I twirled my pencil in my fingers, letting the information go in my head. Does he really not socialize that much with everyone else? When I discussed this with Hoseok oddly enough that he said the same thing.

 

"Namjoon? Yeah, he seems to always talk about you and whatnot. How you always give him good advice for the songs he composed. I'm surprised because I never knew you would have such a deep interest into hip-hop." he implied.

 

"Ani," I shook my head. "I really don't have an interest in it. I just like helping him...is all."

 

"Really?" he asked with a little smirk.

 

"Really." I repeated. He let that go and never said anything as we started a new lesson. When class ended and it was time for us to go home I went to my locker to grab my things when Yuna and Hoseok asked if I was going to go with them walking home. I said I couldn't for I was going to study; so I stayed in the class room. It felt like I've sat for ages just doing questions in my notebook that I stretched my arms out and yawned. How long have I stayed here for? When I checked my cell phone I realized that I had turned it off for the time being, to which I found out I missed a couple of messages from my parents asking me when I was coming home. It was almost quarter to 5.

 

I quickly grabbed my bag and walked into the hall, the sun light hitting the window with a tranquil orange glow on the tile floors.

 

I yawned out loud, looking past the corridors with just a glance. Then I caught on something and stopped in my tracks. In another class room I spot someone sitting at a desk. Particularly their head rested on their folded arms.

 

Peeking inside there was no one else but them. I wasn't able to get their face until suddenly they began to stir.  With a groan they sat up slowly and I then met eyes with him.

 

"Hm? What are you doing here?" Yoongi mumbled, rubbing one of his eyes. I cleared my throat, standing up more straight.

 

"I-I could ask you the same thing." I murmured under my own breath. Out of all people I had to see Mr. Pale Guy once more. Seriously?

 

"Ah-I wanted to finish some work before heading home," he said. I responded meekly 'same here' and the quiet awkwardness stretched longer.

 

I then decided to break the tension. "Um, I was about to go home anyway. Are you still staying here?"

 

"Nope. I'm going home as well." he got up from his seat and grabbed his things; slinging his headphones around his neck. He followed me right back and with that we exited the school building and past the gates.

 

"You hungry?" he asked me while we stopped at a noodle shop. I shook my head in comply and said I wasn't, but soon my stomach growled and in upon immediate reaction I put my hand over my stomach. Hearing it he glanced over my way and had a little smirk planted on his face as we headed inside together. I mentally cursed for being so stupid.

 

We sat at a small booth and already the waiter asked if we wanted any drinks. Yoongi looked over at me across the table with a curious glance to which I said water was just fine, as he too just got water. We both ordered a medium ramen, but I got miso where he got spicy beef. We hardly ever spoke to each other; just continued to eat.

 

But by the time we finished our meal he took out his wallet for the change I was about to protest and say that I could pay but he stopped me short. “Ani, it's okay. You don't need to pay me back either.” setting down the bills the waiter came by and retrieved the receipt, bowing then leaving us once more. I was about to grab my jacket and head out but Yoongi then asked me a rather surprising question: “Are you friends with Namjoon?”

 

That's a little surprising. And why was he asking, out of all people? It made me slowly sit back down as he was looking at me with that cold transfixed stare of his.

 

"I thought everyone at school knew that by now." I mumbled, playing with my fingers that were on the table.

 

"Of course everyone knows. What I meant was...are you really friends with Namjoon? Or are you just sticking by him out of pity?"

 

"What?" I spoke up then. "Pity?" he never said anything but rather rose his eyebrow as if wasn't expecting such a fierce response back.

 

"He told me that you gave him some tips on his mix tape. That you are the first person that actually showed so much appreciation for his work everyone else disregarded." my stomach sank and my throat closed tight.

 

I managed to get my voice out and said, though a little bit feverishly, "It's true. I do give him advice on his work. It's from that I'm glad we've gotten close. Why? Because I very much appreciate that he takes my words and tries to improve on his own. He sees me as a trusted person and that's all there is to it." I wasn't sure how I managed to say those last few words bolder, but I didn't regret it either. Yoongi sighed, lowered his head before facing me again.

 

"I'm only concerned because Namjoon is my friend. I don't want him to get hurt. He's been friends with the wrong crowd before...so I don't want him to go through it again." the way his eyes softened and his cold stare dissipated, I knew he wasn't lying. He really does care for him.

 

"I understand," I nod. "really." we let that slide and soon we exited the shop. He never really said anything afterwards other than 'see you at school' and headed to the other direction.

 

It wasn't until minutes later I hear someone calling my name. "Aeri!" and to find out it was my dad.

 

"Appa? what are you doing here?" I asked.

 

"I had to bring the car to the makeshift today so I took the public transit today for work. Who was the boy that I saw you with earlier?"

 

"O-oh, him?" I shuffled my feet to the ground. "just a classmate." I say blunt. He never said anything afterwards and insisted that we should walk home together. Mother already prepared dinner, but I refused for I said I was full and went straight to my bedroom.

 

* * *

 

The weirdest part about that moment was that, Yoongi and I simply forgotten about it. Or rather, we tried to forget about it. We went on going to school and being with our own little group of friends as if nothing ever happened. And we tried our best to move on from it and live off normally. At least that's what I did.

 

You see, it wasn't all that simple. I still contemplated about whether or not I made the right decision into being with Namjoon during that Chuseok festival. If I rather just not went and stuck with Yuna and Hoseok instead. But that's when you ponder that one little decision, no matter how small, can make all the difference.

 

And that's what fascinates me. In the strangest way possible.

 

This was the so-called Butterfly Effect is about. I experienced it myself.