15.

Nothing Special

Let's head back for a little bit, back where I mentioned the Chuseok festival coming up. Not many things happened, at least to others. Students and teachers very much enjoyed that day (and I swear I think one teacher thought it was the best one they had thus far).

 

But there are some things that I could have never forgotten about that day. It wasn't just an 'ordinary' day for me. In fact, it was the most unexpected. The oddest.

 

* * *

 

On a Friday was when we were setting up the classes for the festival. So technically we didn't really have any 'classes', for the students would just participate in the events along with the teachers. You can say it's almost a free day of doing absolutely nothing too serious.

 

My class got the privilege of supervising the main festivities, as long as we modeled the Art and Drama's made designed hanboks. Yuna gushed when she saw me in one with an ivory and ruby red hampered skirt. “You look really nice in dark colours.” she complimented.

 

I shrugged. “I wanted the blue, but this was the only one available in my size.” I lifted my skirt up a little to wiggle my shoes, as one was asleep. Just then looking up I see Hoseok and Taehyung holding out corn cobs.

 

“Hey you guys!” Hoseok stuck out his corn cob. “You want a bite? It was grilled fresh.” he offered to me. I shook my head, where as Yuna gave each of them a disgusted look and a roll of her eyes.

 

"No thanks. I hate corn - it gets stuck in the space between your teeth and it's just so sloppy to eat." she shivered.

 

"Hmph, suit yourself." Hoseok chided, continuing to nibble down the cob. I turned around when just then I see someone waving at me from across. I squinted my eyes to see who it might be but soon I realized that the person waving was Namjoon.

 

My heart raced when he came, not to mention he looked different wearing a hanbok. Obviously in a good way. "Hey guys. Have you been to the festival booths yet?"

 

Taehyung shook his head. "I didn't yet! I want to go to the fishing booth!" with that he ran past us and headed downstairs.

 

"Wait for me!" Hoseok followed him as well.

 

"YAH! You have a performance in 10 minutes! Where the hell are you going?!" Yuna screeched and soon said a quick farewell to the both of us before leaving, remaining just us two.

 

I cleared my throat, shuffling my feet across the floor. What should I say? I need to break this awkward tension between us. I didn't have to because soon he spoke up. "You look nice in that hanbok." he complimented. I tucked a hair behind my ear.

 

"T-Thanks." I stuttered. "Y-you look nice in that too." he chuckled, a deep voice that makes me want to melt each time I hear it.

 

"I have nothing else to do right now. Do you?"

 

"Not really. After all, I'm just modeling what the Arts and Drama class made for Chunseok, since my class isn't really partaking in any of the events. Why?"

 

"Nothing. I was just wondering if you want to come with me in going around the school ground and see the other booths? Seems like you didn't have any chance to see."

 

I managed to chuckle. "You're right. I haven't."

 

"See? C'mon, don't be such a kill joy." he nudged me at the ribs. I really did want to go around, and wouldn't it be a lie to say I wouldn't want to go with my first crush? I didn't say anything, and taken that as an answer I followed him out.

 

There were many events all around, from the fishing to the fortune telling to the stage performances it was amazing what the school justice club came up with.

From around the side the smell of fresh baked sweet potato filled my nostrils, and soon I heard my stomach growled.

 

I was about to say we should head over to that food stall when Namjoon already had something else in plan. "Over here." he pointed to the path alongside the school side.

 

"O-oh, yeah I'm coming." I mumbled, eyeing the food and trying to make a complaint. We went out towards the filed where the leaves of the surrounding trees littered the grass with reds and orange. "what are we doing here?" I asked, noticing that we were a bit far from the festival.

 

"I wanted to show you this. It gets really pretty here both the fall and winter. That, and I have something else." he sat down underneath the tree on the stone well around it and I did the same thing. He took out something from his pocket to only see an MP3 and a set of earphones. His hand outstretched and out of no where he placed one of them in my left ear. I froze, my heart quickening again. God, we're so close. I shyly looked away from his direction as he fumbled with the device to put on a song. When he did he too put on the other ear bud and scooted closer; close enough that our shoulders would touch.

 

At first all I heard were beats, but soon I heard a voice come in:

 

'Falling too fast
Clearly rules don't apply
Can’t believe that I just met you
You got me here watching minutes pass by
Wondering when to expect you
There you go is this a dream
Looking like every picture that I've seen of you before
I've seen it all before now that its over
Should have known better
Then to think this was real
And you could be mine
Should have known better
Slowed it down
Cause I feel you needed time
But I kept thinkin'
This could be something

This could be something

This could be something

This could be something
This could be

This could be
This could be something

This could be something

This could be something
Maybe its just nothing at all
But this could be something
This could be something…'

 

 

As soon as the song was over I stared back at in surprise. “Was that-were you the one rapping this song?” I asked. He chuckled, all too sheepishly.

 

“It's more of a cover, but yeah. I needed someone's opinion for this, since Suga is really bad at giving criticism.” Namjoon pursed his lips in almost a tiring expression. I gave him a wry look.

 

“What, was I your only option?”

 

“Eh, it's worth a try. Besides – I could ask Hoseok or Yuna but I feel like they wouldn't think too much about it.” he bluntly stated. I couldn't help but find that bluntness kind of cute. With a nod I began to open my mouth.

 

“Well, it wasn't bad for a cover. Your rap flowed well with the beat and matched with the constant rhythm overall. It isn't too fast but just enough that you can hear your words clear rather than it to be jumbled altogether.” I noticed that after I finished there was absolute silence between us, him staring intently and me only hearing the noise of the students in the background. I cleared my dry throat to break the tension; already feeling flustered for him just staring at me. “d-did you understand what I was trying to say?”

 

“Yeah...I understood everything what you said. Better than Suga.” he suddenly broke into a small smile. “thank you. For being honest.”

 

“You're welcome.” I mumbled, along with a slight nod to my head. He continued staring at me and I felt myself blushing again; my cheeks fuming. It seemed that he was about to say something when just then his phone vibrated and clashed the moment.

 

Picking it up he murmured a few words before ending the line. Getting up he dusted off his garments and held out a hand for me as well. “Speaking of, Hoseok is going to perform soon. We should go and cheer him on.” well, that made more sense. I grabbed hold, noticing how warm and soft his fingers were, and got up on my own feet.

 

Going to the stage performance just out the school yard we already see a huge crowd gathered around, and just in time when we made our way to the front I see Hoseok come out in going into his dance. The crowd remained quiet as the music began to play; soft beats that soon dragged out to be louder and more rhythmic, and his moves flowed along with the speed of the sound.

 

As always, his dancing amazed me. It wasn't a surprise that when he did his signature drop-knees move everyone went wild. By the end of around the 3-minute span I can already see his sweating face, but he still managed to pull off a foolish grin in the end. Cheers surrounded all of us that we really couldn't hear the MC. Namjoon and I clapped and cheered along with the others. By the end of the festival everyone became completely exhausted. I helped Yuna finish cleaning up so the janitors wouldn't do so much work for the rest of the evening shift and Yuna even thanked all the student and teachers that took away some of their time for it.

 

“Ready to go home?” I asked as I waited for her outside the gates. Nodding she propped her bag and went off. I forgot to mention that because of the festival and I helped out, the Arts and Drama department let me keep the hanbok for the day. Yuna was talking about the events and how well she hoped for it to be, overall as a satisfying festival once more. “By the way, I saw you with Namjoon. How did that go?” I only shrugged, saying it wasn't anything too much. But she kept on insisting for she thought that I was lying and there must be more than just 'hanging out'.

 

I had to think for a little bit before finally saying with a smile, “It was good.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N

The song mentioned is Drake's 'Something'. Fun fact: Rap Monster actually did make a cover for it :)

I wanted to make a double update, so you're welcome haha ^^ If you like this story so far please do subscribe and comment, feedback is highly appreciated!
Thanks again, and I'll see you all on my next update :) have a great day everyone ~

-B.B