VIII.

HEATHENS :| |: MAKE WAY FOR A NEW GROUP OF HEROES.

BAD DREAM
chapter eight



Selina refused to leave her room for supper. She didn't want anything to do with the avengers or the other recruits. Robin had come in to try to get her to move but she wasn't having it. Selina was refusing everything that was being offered to her. It worried Robin - he didn't want to see his sister in such a state. Sure, he wasn't the biggest fan of what was going on but he made do of the situation. He personally didn't want to go back to prison or even the organization. Selina, on the other hand, was more than willing to go back to her roots at the organization to prove her loyalty despite her current predicament. Robin knew it was best to leave her be and informed the avengers that it was best to let her be at the moment. 

"How about you eat a crumb so at least we can tell Waller that you didn't starve." a familiar bird chirped from the doorframe of her room. Clint knew that his efforts to get her to come out would be useless but he figured he would try nonetheless. He saw how much Robin cared about her. The two were joined at the hip like the twins. It reminded him of his friendship with Natasha. 
"How about you just set me free. It would be easier for everyone." she mumbled as she moved from her bed to the window. Trees surrounding the compound reminded her just how isolated she was from her world. It reminded her that she had no one else to blame for her capture except herself. Clint made the choice to go stand at the other end of the window. 
"Y'know we can't do that. You're stuck here whether you like it or not....Explain to me something..why do you want to go back to those people? What do you gain from going back or continuing that lifestyle?" he asked. He didn't understand why she was so dedicated to her elite group of assassins while Robin seemed like he didn't want to go back at all. He picked up on how the two differed on that topic. Robin was stubborn and vague about everything but at least he was level headed about what was best for him...and Selina.
"You wouldn't understand." Selina rolled her eyes as she brought her arms across her chest. Why would Clint understand? He was dumb and would never grasp the importance of those who did what she did. Yes, she knew what she did was morally wrong and that most likely her bosses were not saints when it came to their role in the world. 
"Then how about you explain to me why you hold such strong ties to people who probably don't care about you if you were to be killed or-"
"Dont you ever insult them. You don't understand the blood, sweat, and tears that Robin and I have put into making the elite proud. They would never eliminate their top assassins. You people are just so stupid and are so caught up in your moral code that you're afraid of breaking the rules! Why didn't you kill her, hm? Weren't you ordered to take her out? You were given deliberate orders to terminate her from this world and all because of your stupid morals, you decided to take her in? Unlike you or that traitor, Robin and I followed orders as holy writ. There was no choice to disobey...they made us for one reason and so why would we ever go against it?" Selina snapped her head towards Clint, anger burning in her eyes. The audacity he had to speak about her people in such a manner. Every word was oozed with resentment towards him and everything the avengers stood for. 
"What did they do when you two were caught, hm? They didn't come bust you out, did they? They abandoned you two. They could've easily rescued the two of you with their skill sets. Get it through your brain that they do not care about you as long as they know you'll always hold loyalty to them! Yes, I had direct orders to kill her but I made a different call as she was not worth killing in my view. She has done nothing but help since we took her in. God, you sound so stupid protecting people that don't care about you. They 'made' you and Robin...like you're their robots or something..." Clint spat back. He couldn't believe that she was so damn loyal to people who clearly did not give a damn about her. They destroyed any trace of her being a decent woman in this world. 
"They raised me to be one of the most lethal assassins, how does that show that they don't care about me? The elite saw something in Robin and I that they didn't see in anyone else.
"Yeah, they saw that they had successfully taken the emotion out of your very core. Sounds real caring." Clint scoffed as he shook his head and walked out of the room. He couldn't stand hearing Selina protect those people. She couldn't get through her head that the elite didn't care about anyone but themselves. 

Selina remained in her room for a while after the conversation with Clint. It was ten at night when she finally decided to leave her room to grab a snack. She hadn't counted on bumping into someone else in the kitchen; Tony. 
"Never seen Clint quite so mad. What'd you say to him?" he asked as he poured himself some whiskey. A little liquid courage was becoming a habit of his before bed considering the stress and new situation he was in.
"The truth." Selina scoffed as she walked past Tony to grab a glass and a small plate for herself. Tony took a sip from his glass as he leaned his back against the counter.
"I can't believe you told him that he isn't as cool as he thinks he is. Tragic." he joked, attempting to break the ice with the new recruit. He knew that Selina was going to be the last one to fully trust the avengers unlike Robin who he could tell would warm up to them eventually. Selina ignored his comment as she poured some water in her glass and cut up a pear on the plate. "Seems like they also took the humor out of you...."
"Is everything a joke to you, Stark? I told him that all of you don't understand anything when it comes to Robin and I's ties with the elite. You're all too caught up in your stupid morals to ever do what is necessary for the world. Clearly, you're all horrible at taking orders." Selina calmly replied as she finished slicing the pear, putting the knife in the sink. 
"You think you're better than us because you can make the hard calls? Because you're more willing to pull the trigger to end someone's life as it's an order from your bosses? You're ruthless, I'll give you that, Cat." Tony spoke as he reached over to grab a pear slice but his face quickly made contact with the granite countertop, his arm twisted behind his back. 
"You don't have the right to call me that, Tony." Selina sternly spoke as she twisted Tony's arm. Twisting it even more when she said his name. "Just because you're some billionaire and have all the resources, doesn't make you better than me. You and your avengers are pathetic compared to us." She whispered as she twisted his arm just a sliver more before letting go and returning to her glass and plate. Tony let out a groan of pain as she released him; not totally surprised at her actions. 
"Damn. Don't know how Natasha keeps up with you at training." Tony mumbled as he stretched his arm back out. Selina decided to take her glass of water and pear slices to her room for the night. Tony could watch her walk away as he served himself another shot of whiskey. "She is a fiesty one..."

 

31
jan

author's (babbling) notes

so this chapter is focused on selina who is absolutely an awesome character here and as well in the comics. i'm super happy that you used anne hathaway as she is a favorite actress of mine. i also just love this picture of her from the movie cause asdlkfja. i took much inspiration from the movie. i know i kept it pretty vague but i thought i could focus more on her loyalty as i feel no one in the prison would truly mess with her (or robin). anyways, sophie - do let me know if i did selina justice in this chapter cause if not, i am more than willing to re-write the whole thing. i've also started to pair up people for the future couples but that won't be with every character as it will be harder to break their barriers. anyways, let me know what you guys think! xoxo