Part 5/5

Daijobanai

Part 5/5



 

Mihyun bit her lip nervously, wrapping her cardigan tighter around herself. She hated herself for being so cold, she had no reason to be.

 

She left home thirty minutes earlier than she had to, just to make sure she wouldn't be late. The street was rather empty, and it made her nervous. Actually, no. That wasn't why she was nervous. Yeonju was why she was nervous. Obviously.

 

What was she even going to say?

 

I liked it.

 

No. No, of course not! Why on earth would she say that?

 

I really like you, as a friend. That's what she'd say. And then they'd hug and become best friends. Well, secondary best friends anyways. Mihyun still had Jiho.

 

Her heartbeat picked up as she approached the school. She grabbed a fist ful of her tee, desperately willing her hands to stop shaking. What will Yeonju say?

 

Taking slow yoga breaths, she went past the gates, immediately spotting the girl sitting on a bench. Her black hair hanged around her gloomy face, she was facing the ground. Mihyun stopped in her tracks. She was early too.

 

Even like this, Yeonju looked pretty.

 

She swallowed. The school yard was completely empty apart from them.

 

She shook her head, she was being stupid. Just walk up to her.

 

“Hey,” she said. Her voice came out a croak.

 

Yeonju whipped her head up. “Hi.”

 

Her face looked slightly puffy, as if she hadn't slept a lot. She was wearing black jeans and a dark blue sweater.

 

“Sit,” she said, patting the space next to her on the bench.

 

Mihyun looked at Yeonju’s hand. Her muscles twitched, ready to walk right up to her and sit down. But suddenly she couldn't. She didn't want to. She wanted to run away,  all the way home. Or maybe to Jiho’s, she lived closer.

 

“I like boys,” she heard herself say. Yeonju stared. The longer they stayed silent, the longer Mihyun doubted even saying it. Maybe she'd imagined it. She was about to open , to tell Yeonju she just wanted to be friends, but Yeonju spoke first.

 

“I do, too.”

 

It felt like a lie. It felt like both of them were lying. Mihyun’s eyes widened. When was the last time she had a crush on a boy?

 

“Hey, I'm sorry, okay?” Yeonju suddenly said. She smiled. “It was wrong of me to… Do that.”

 

“Yeah,” Mihyun answered without thinking. felt like cotton.

 

Yeonju's smile faltered.

 

“Um… See you in school then.” Her heart pounded loudly in her ears as she began walking away. Her vision was blurry, cloudy. A part of her wished Yeonju would call out for her, the other was happy that she didn't.


 

-----


 

Her favorite 2ne1 album played softly in her room. It had her humming along to the similar melody into the fur of her cat. She felt stupid. Here she was, sitting on her bed, sulking like a ten year old. What was wrong with her?

 

Her blond hair felt lifeless and crispy. Her eyes stinged.

 

Yesterday was awful. As if the whole Yeonju thing hadn't been enough for one day, her parents had some business partner’s family over for dinner, and she’d had to dress up and act proper. The dinner was awkward, to her anyways, the adults caught up in each other and some boring conversation. Mihyun had been staring at their gorgeous son (Jeon… Jung… Kook?) trying to convince herself she found him attractive. He was really handsome, and she did after all like boys. When it didn't work she started tearing up, clenching her fists to keep herself from crying. Her sister kept side eying her, confusion written clearly across her makeup caked face.

 

She ate her breakfast in her room this morning, munching on her cereal while calling Jiho. They had homework she'd missed out on, much to her dismay. They decided to go to her place tomorrow after school, to make sure she would catch up.

 

The thought of going back to school made her cringe. She didn't want to spend time with Jiho’s stupid friends. Or Yeonju.

 

She shook her head. No. She was going to stay away from Yeonju. The weird new girl who's supposed to be shy.

 

She wondered how long it would take for Yeonju to get a boyfriend. She was adorable, that kind of girl everyone likes. For some reason the thought of Yeonju making her own friends made her sad. And the thought of her having a boyfriend made her shiver.

 

Her stomach growled. Suddenly she felt like she could eat a horse.

 

Slowly, she made her way to the kitchen. She wouldn’t admit it if you asked her, but she was avoiding her sister. Mieun could be scary when she was concerned.

 

The kitchen was as shiny as ever, yellow light pooling in from the large windows by the smaller dining table that they never used. She shivered. The AC was on a bit too cold for her liking. Which meant Mieun had been there.

 

Good, she thought, making her way to the fridge. This meant her sister already had eaten, which  implied she wouldn’t be back any time soon. Contrary to Mihyun, the older was super big on looking pretty and skinny, so she was always on weird diets and spending embarrassing amounts of money on cosmetics. Not that her parents cared. They were more than happy to see that Mieun was concerned about those sort of things. It meant that she’d grow up beautiful. And if you were beautiful, you could get a job. Or even better, a rich husband. Even though they never said so, Mihyun knew her parents disliked her attitude. The way she’d rather focus on studies than magazines, the way she never showed any interest in boys. She also knew that the reason they never commented on it was because they were too busy. Busy with their jobs, with going to parties and making sure they stayed elite, busy with Mieun and keeping her pure and pretty. Once she grows up, Mihyun is going to move. Move away from the country, away from their stupid systems and restrictions and ed up expectations. If her parents found out about her wish, how would they react? Would they tell her she was being silly? Or that she was being a coward, running away from her country because she’s not beautiful enough? Or would they let her leave, relieved that they’d get her out of the way?

 

Regardless, she had other things at hand at the moment. Like Yeonju, and which instant ramen flavour to pick.    


 

-----



 

Monday came way too quickly, and the uniform skirt itched uncomfortably against the back of her thigh. She sighed, gripping at the straps of her backpack.

 

Her first lesson today was English. Great.

 

Mihyun reached her locker, yawning under her breath as she opened it. Gathering her needed books and pencils had her attention, so she jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She spun around, Jiho's beautiful smile greeting her.

 

“Hey Mimi,” her friend chimed. “Feeling better?” she asked, pulling her into a hug.

 

“Sure,” Mihyun muttered, hugging back.

 

They pulled away when the bell rung, Jiho waving sweetly before running off to history.

 

Off to English then.

 

It was weird how she shared this class with Jiho on Tuesdays, but not Mondays. It was kinda frustrating too, it meant they weren't always on the same projects or had the same homework. A person who was in that class though, was Yeonju. Oh God.

 

The teacher hadn't arrived yet, and only a few students were settling in, chatting in their groups about whatever. Mihyun noticed Yeonju almost immediately. She was sitting in the seat next to hers.


 

-----


 

Only ten minutes left.

 

Only 600 seconds. Well, 596.

 

She bit her lip. She knew facing Yeonju would be difficult. But she didn’t think it would be like this.

 

The other girl kept stealing glances. There was a weird tension between them, almost as if they were two magnets, not sure weather to collide or stay apart. Not to mention the blush on her cheeks, the rapid beating of her heart, the swirling in her lower stomach.

 

Mihyun streaked a hand through her dyed hair. It felt oily and slick. She had a sudden desire to take her jacket off, but knew better than to do so. She swallowed.

 

Just focus on the teacher. Focus on Miss Park and her annoying voice and terribly accented English.

 

Yeonju moved. Her hand accidentally touched hers. They froze.

 

There was an explosion inside of Mihyun, one that was quite unbarable. She couldn't take this anymore.  

 

“Miss Park, may I please go to the bathroom?”

 

Her teacher stared. “Mihyun-haksaeng, class is almost over.”

 

Mihyun shot her a pleading look.

 

She sighed. “Okay, fine,” she mumbled, waving her hand dismissively.

 

The blonde bolted out of her chair, trying her very best not to slam the door behind her.  

 

A lump grew in Yeonju’s throat as she watched the girl leave. “Miss, may I go too?”


 

-----


 

Mihyun stared at herself in the mirror, at her blotchy skin and messy hair and tight uniform that made her look chubby. Why did she suddenly feel like crying?

 

Before she could do anything about the tears stinging in her eyes, the door to the girls bathroom flew open.

 

“! You scared me,”  Mihyun looked at Yeonju through the mirror.

 

“S- Sorry Mihyun-ssi.”

 

The ravenette took a few timid steps forward.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Mihyun swallowed. “Yeah.” It came out a whisper.

 

“Jiho asked me if I wanted to come along and study with you guys.”

 

Of course she did.

 

“Should I tell her no?”

 

Mihyun turned around. She took in the pretty girl in front of her. Her shiny black hair, her porcelain skin, big eyes, her small, silver necklace resting on top of her chest. The school uniform was tight on her too, but it looked different on Yeonju. It looked…

 

“No. It’s fine,” she said, baffled at how steady her voice came out.

 

They both looked at the floor, unsure of how to continue the conversation.

 

“I lied,” Mihyun surprised them both with saying. They locked eyes again. “I don’t really like boys.”

 

It was true. She didn’t. She’d never had a crush before, she’d never felt anything watching the boys on M Countdown, and all the boys Mieun had brought home were just gross, even though she knew she probably should have found them attractive. But she never thought there was a reason behind her disinterest in the opposite gender. Not until Yeonju kissed her.

 

“I think… I lied too.”

 

They looked at each other in bliss. Mihyun gathered up her last bit of courage, went up to Yeonju and pressed her lips against her hot cheek. They wrapped around each other, chest to chest, arms around each other’s waists. Their hearts almost ached. Mihyun tried to ignore the feeling of Yeonju’s thigh against hers, and cursed the tingly and almost wet feeling inside her.

 

They could definitely become best friends.  

     







 

*****



 

A/N:



 

Last part up! In honor of the comeback just around the corner (which im gonna miss because im going to ing camp but oh well) Sorry this took so long, I’ve been busy with my other stories, which you should totally check out ^^


 

 



 

Anyways, thank you all for subscribing and commenting! I swear, this site needs more OMG fics like seriously

 

And like, actual good fics. Not this


Tell me what you thought of this in the comments, it would mean the world to me <3

 

also, sorry for the horrible ending

 

ok bye