Part 4/5

Daijobanai

Part 4/5



 

She watched as light seeped through the closed blinds, thanking God it's morning. Uncharacteristically, she's been waiting for it to turn 6:30. She's usually rolling around between her sheets hating life by now, but today was different.

 

Not a second of sleep had Mihyun been blessed with. Instead she'd been tossing and turning and chewing down her pillow wondering what she did to deserve this.

 

Slowly crawling out of bed, she took a deep breath, willing her hands to stop shaking. She opened the door slightly, eyes stinging from the sudden intake if light. She could hear her sister conversing with her parents. Patiently, she waited for her mother and father to rush to work and leave Mieun to wake Mihyun up and eat the leftover breakfast together with he sister. She bit her lip, hearing the front door slam.

 

Suddenly, she feelt a small rough tongue her bare foot.

 

“Hey baby,” she cooed, picking up the cat and pressing a kiss into white fur.

 

Footsteps stomped up the stairs, startling Mihyun.

 

“,” she whispered, dropping the cat and retreating to her dark room. But before she could shut the door, someone pulled the other doorknob, opening it again.

 

“What the hell Mihyun?” her sister spat, glaring at her wide eyed little sister.

 

“I- I just-” she stuttered. “Unnie… I'm… Not feeling well. Will you tell mum I have a fever? And that I'm staying home? Resting?”

 

Mieun stared at her, gaping. Then, she closed , nodding slightly and walking back down the stairs. No questions asked.

 

Letting out the breath she denied holding, Mihyun slammed her door shut and threw herself on top of her messy bed. She knew she could count on Mieun. Sure, they hated each other's guts, but they were sisters nevertheless. It was a kind of an unsaid rule between them. If one of them for whatever reason couldn't go to school, they would cover for each other. Mihyun did when Mieun broke up with her first boyfriend, Mieun did when there was a rumor that Mihyun gave a senior a , and so on.

 

There would be no questions in the morning, but as soon as school was over respective sister would come into the other's room and offer comfort and ask for an explanation on what had happened.

 

But not this time. No way Mihyun would ever tell her sister what was wrong this time.

 

What was so wrong anyways? Yeonju had kissed her yesterday. And that was fine, she guessed. Maybe Yeonju was into that. No, that wasn't the problem.

 

The problem was how it made her feel.

 

Good.

 

She's never felt so good.

 

And now she was terrified. And so confused.

 

No way she would be able to face Yeonju in school today.

 

No way.


 

-----


 

About an hour had passed since she had heard Mieun leave the house. She could get out of bed, make herself something greasy for breakfast and binge watch some drama. Maybe it would make her feel better. Put her mind off the things that were bothering her for a while. Only she couldn’t.

 

She couldn’t get out of bed. Something was keeping her here. Something deep within her, twisting and turning and boiling up inside her. She felt impossibly warm, even warmer than the time she was sunbathing in Thailand, which was a terrible mistake by the way. A horrid deep tan had burnt into her skin and stayed there for a whole month.

 

And suddenly she thought of Yeonju, and the heat was replaced with a dry, cold chill. Mihyun gasped for air, heart pounding against her ribcage. Yeonju, she was pretty. Shy and pure. And at the same time, she was hot, and beautifully dirty. She showed her a different side of herself yesterday, a side that Mihyun couldn’t decide of she liked or not.

 

Of course she liked it. She loved it even, she was high on it. She loved it because it made her feel alive, it was foreign but strangely homely. As if that was what she was supposed to feel like all the time. But for that very same reason she hated it. Why was that what she she was supposed to feel like? Why was that, kissing a girl, and watching a girl dance so appealing to her all of a sudden?

 

She groaned, finally finding the strength to crawl out of her cocoon of sheets.

 

Just as she was about to turn on the light, her phone chimed. Mihyun bit her lip, could it be Jiho? It probably was. She’ll call her later.


 

-----


 

Later was well into the afternoon.

 

Mihyun sat on their couch, happy to have the livingroom to herself for once. Her finger hovered over her friend’s number. Should she? Yes she should. Would she? Probably not.

 

Her phone ringed before she had the chance to close it. It was Jiho. Of course.

 

“H- Hi,” she stuttered into her phone. “I was just about to call you…” she said with a small voice. It was Friday. Jiho was probably at the mall right now, together with Seunghee or Hyojung. Yeonju was probably with her.

 

“I’ve been texting you all day!” Jiho squealed in her ear. Mihyun winced and turned down the volume on the call. “What’s wrong?” she cooed, sounding concerned.

 

“I just… Is Yeonju there?” she heard herself ask. Wait… What? Oh no, what did she do that for? . .

 

“Yeah. That’s actually why I called you… She wanted to talk to you.”

 

“O- Oh.” No. Oh no. She panicked. She couldn’t talk to Yeonju now, not at all.   

         

“Great, I’ll give her the phone.”

 

There was some noise on the other line, and then it was quiet, and then there was breathing. Yeonju’s breathing, because Mihun had stopped ages ago. Years ago.

 

“Hi.”

 

Mihyun practically threw up.

 

Sweat prickled up through the skin on her neck. She felt all hot again.

 

“Um, you there?”

 

She cleared . “Mhm,” she managed.

 

“I just… Wanted to apologise. Will you meet me tomorrow? Outside the school? At two?”

 

“S- Sure.”

 

She hung up. All she could think of was if Yeonju had meant two in the morning or two in the afternoon. Probably the latter.



 

*****



 

A/N:


 

So for some reason the last parts of this was deleted of my computer and I had to rewrite them and they’re a lot shorter and not the same and just really bad

 

Mianhae, mianhae


*bows*