The Time Everything Works Out and a Plate Breaks

What I Want Isn't on the Menu (It's You)

“Gayy.” Jungkook turns to look at his hyung in disbelief.

“Namjoon-hyung, you’re gay, what the hell are you saying.” Namjoon shrugs his shoulders, eyes still glued to his phone.

“Yeah, I’m gay, but I’m not that gay. Did you just hear yourself describing Jimin? I have never heard anything so gay.”

“You wrote me a song declaring your love for me and rapped for almost solid minute about how much you loved my hair,” Seokjin deadpans from his spot on the couch beside Namjoon, knocking him on the back of the head hard enough to send his hat flying. Namjoon sputters and holds the back of his head, staring at his boyfriend incredulously.

“That’s different!”

“How? Should I talk about the time you bought me flowers and breakfast in bed and then recited Shakespearian poetry to me until I threatened to kick you off the bed?” Jungkook laughs so hard he almost falls off his chair, and Namjoon flushes, reaching down to pick up his hat and try to avoid his boyfriend’s eyes.

“You’re playing dirty,” he mutters, sending a hurt look Seokjin’s way, but Seokjin just knocks him on the back of the head again, earning a yelp, before turning back to Jungkook.

“Ignore Namjoon for right now. Let’s get back to the problem on hand. You want to ask Jimin out, right?” Jungkook manages to get back his composure and leans back in his chair again, suddenly sobering up.

“Well… I mean, I don’t even know if he’s gay…”

“He is,” Seokjin supplies helpfully.

“And even if he’s gay, that doesn’t mean he likes me back. And then if I confess to him and he’s disgusted then I’ll lose his friendship and maybe Yoongi-hyung’s friendship or-” Jungkook takes a deep breath and puts his hands in his hands. “So much could go wrong. But I really, really like him… And I’m pretty sure he’s going to figure out how much I like him sooner or later because I’m really bad at hiding it. I think Hoseok-hyung has already figured it out…” Seokjin leans forward and puts his hand on the younger’s shoulder.

“Jungkook, I really don’t think you have to worry about losing anyone’s friendship. Especially not Yoongi’s, he might not act like it but he thinks of you as a younger brother, he won’t hate you for loving someone,” Jungkook looks up to make eye contact with Seokjin, and Seokjin is smiling at him softly, almost like a mother would. “Do what you think will make you happy, Jungkook. Only you can determine your future. If you want my opinion, as someone who lives and works with Jimin, I think he might like you too. He talks about you a lot, okay? And he’s always excited to see you come in. He’s told the people that seat you to always seat you in his area, so he can be your waiter. That has to mean something, right?” Jungkook nods slowly.

“He could always just like seeing me because I’m his friend-” Jungkook doesn’t get to finish, because Namjoon gets over his earlier embarrassment and leans forward, groaning and rolling his eyes like he’s seen the same scenario a million times (he might have, too, Namjoon knew a -ton of people, and was pretty good at setting those people up with each other; Mark and Jackson were proof of his skills).

“Listen, Jungkook. I know you’re nervous and everything but I really don’t think you have anything to worry about. Seriously, the kid ing lights up when you walk into the room. And if I have to hear him come home from work and talk about something you said that he thought was funny and see him smile all goofy one more time I’m going to lock the two of you in a room together and not let either of you out until you confess your feelings and it out or something. I’m not even kidding. You two are going to suffocate us with the amount of in any room you’re both in.” Namjoon grabs Seokjin’s hand before it comes into contact with his chest and intertwines their fingers instead. Seokjin side-eyes him, but leaves his hand in his as he sighs and pats Jungkook’s knee with his free hand.

“He’s right about Jimin, although I’m not going to let him lock you guys in a room. Give it a try, Jungkook. If you want help or encouragement, I’m here. And so is Namjoon, although I don’t know how much help he’ll be,” Seokjin grins mischievously, and Namjoon lets out an offended sound and elbows his boyfriend’s side. Jungkook can’t help but laugh at their interaction, although the nerves in his stomach are dancing erratically. He trusts Seokjin’s advice, and, as much as he hates to admit it, Namjoon is usually right as well. Although he’s not as motherly as Seokjin, Jungkook knows he still cares and just has other ways of showing it (like locking Jungkook and the object of his affection in a room together; only Seokjin knows how his brain works).

“Thanks hyung… I think I’m going to wait for a little bit more though. Until I think it’s the right time.” Seokjin’s smile turns soft and he rubs a circle on the younger boy’s leg.

“You do what you think is right, Kookie. Now, how about we start thinking about what to have for dinner? I’m sure you’re hungry, crushing takes a lot out of you,” Namjoon slides out of Seokjin’s grasp and stands to his feet, stretching his arms over his head.

“Yes, food. Food sounds good. I’m starving, I didn’t eat lunch.” Seokjin reaches over to tug his boyfriend’s shirt back down, like a long worn habit, as he stands himself.

“I’ve got some things here; I can make something. Kookie, do you want to come help me?” Seokjin looks at Jungkook expectantly, and the youngest stands, nodding as he does.

“I’m not that good, but I can help somehow. Namjoon-hyung isn’t helping, is he?” Namjoon throws him a glare without malice, picking back up the heavy book that had been laying on the coffee table since Jungkook’s arrival had made the older stop reading. Seokjin just laughs and rubs his boyfriend’s arm soothingly, reaching up to pat his cheek affectionately with his other hand.

“No, he has to finish a book for his literature class, he doesn’t have time to set fire to any of my pans tonight,” Namjoon turns his head and pretends to bite at Seokjin’s fingers, but then presses a kiss to his cheek instead. Jungkook pretends to gag at the scene in front of him, and Namjoon rolls his eyes.

“Oh please, Jungkook, like you weren’t just being disgusting about Jimin,” he reaches over to teasingly flick the younger’s head before asking Seokjin to call him when the food was ready and disappearing through the hall into their shared room.

“He did get you there,” Seokjin says, raising his eyebrows as he turns to head into the kitchen. Jungkook follows him, pouting slightly in order to get Seokjin to ruffle his hair before the oldest starts bustling around the kitchen, giving quiet orders to Jungkook on what to get him so that he can get the dish started. Later, when dinner is ready and Jimin gets home just in time to sit beside Jungkook at the table and all of them listen to Namjoon talk about the book he had just been reading, Jungkook watches Seokjin and Namjoon interact with each other and wonders if Jimin might hold his hand under the table and feed him food one day (Jimin feeds him a bite of rice only minutes later and Jungkook almost cries; almost).

 

-

 

For the rest of the night, nothing goes wrong. Yoongi had been surprised to hear that Jungkook had just been at Namjoon and Seokjin’s instead of out or at a party with Taehyung, but he’d shrugged at his early arrival home and let Jungkook sit in the living room with him to start working on some of his homework. The older interrupted him once, asking if Jungkook wanted ice cream as he shrugged on a sweatshirt (definitely Hoseok’s) and ruffled his hair to make it look presentable, but otherwise just let him work. The rest of the night passed peacefully, with the two of them eating their ice cream in relative silence as they worked. Hoseok and Taehyung stumbled in around 1:00 in the morning (and Hoseok promptly passed out on Yoongi’s shoulder), but with ice cream in his stomach, his homework already halfway done, and his Jimin-meter filled completely, Jungkook wasn’t in the least bit sorry he’d missed out on the party they’d been to. His night passed without any questions about where he’d been, and he thought, maybe, just maybe, they were going to let him off the hook.

The next morning, though, he realizes he was sorely mistaken when Hoseok shakes him awake at 11:30 and tells him to be ready to leave in 30 minutes for lunch. Hoseok is grinning obnoxiously, even though he’s probably still dealing with a hangover, and Jungkook knows he knows about why he’d been at Seokjin and Namjoon’s place. With a sinking feeling in his stomach, he realizes that means Taehyung and Yoongi know too. After Hoseok strides out of the room, Jungkook rolls over and groans into his pillow, already feeling a headache coming on. He's only just woken up and Taehyung is already yelling something from the kitchen, Hoseok is laughing his annoying off from somewhere near, Yoongi is stomping down the hall to go see what’s wrong, and Jungkook wonders why he even thought he’d have a peaceful day for once. There was no such thing as peaceful with Taehyung and Hoseok around.

With a sigh, Jungkook sits up and rubs at his eyes, glancing at the homework piled around his backpack forlornly. He’d have to stay up late finishing it because Taehyung and Hoseok were awful about keeping him out all day. His project would have to wait until the next day as well, there was no way he was going to finish it with all the other things he needed to do. Cursing his overly hyper friends, Jungkook stands and stretches before glancing around his room. He should probably wear something clean and unwrinkled, he muses, since lunch probably meant going to see Seokjin and Jimin at work. It takes him about 5 minutes to get dressed, deciding to pair one of his freshly-folded black t-shirts with a pair of jeans and black and white sneakers, and he manages to sneak into the bathroom without anyone talking to him (they’re all too preoccupied with whatever was happening in the kitchen). Once he finishes fixing his hair and brushing his teeth, though, Taehyung is banging on the door and demanding he hurry up.

“Come on, Jungkook, I’m starving! They’re making me wait to eat and I didn’t even get breakfast!” Jungkook opens the door so suddenly that Taehyung almost falls into his arms in surprise, fist halfway raised to bang on the door again. Rolling his eyes, Jungkook slips past him and starts down the hall. It takes about 5 seconds for Taehyung to start trailing behind him, grumbling something about grumpy roommates. Yoongi looks up when they come into the kitchen, and Jungkook sees what the commotion had been about. Taehyung had apparently tried to make himself ramen or something the night before and failed, because covering the countertops around the stove is a mess of dried noodles, seasoning, and something Jungkook doesn’t want to identify.

“Oh god, hyung, what happened?” Taehyung looks down at the floor, pretty much pouting, and Yoongi glares at him accusingly from where he’s wiping the stove clean.

Someone decided to try to make noodles last night while he was drunk. That same someone is being no help cleaning up the mess left by said attempt.”

“I cleaned the pot, hyung!” Taehyung protests, pushing past Jungkook to walk to the kitchen and point to the stained pot perched in the sink. “It was the worst part! And Hoseok-hyung isn’t helping either!” Hoseok looks up from his spot on the couch, raising his eyebrows at Taehyung’s sudden accusation.

“Why should I help? I didn’t tell you to make noodles while -faced,” Hoseok stands anyway, slipping his phone into his pocket. “Can we just hurry up? Namjoon is getting impatient waiting for us to leave.” Yoongi scoffs as he runs his rag under warm water to clean it out before going back to cleaning the counters.

“Tell Namjoon that he can come over here and help us clean up Taehyung’s mess if he’s so ing impatient. It’ll give him experience for taking care of the kids Seokjin’s going to eventually convince him to adopt.” Hoseok pulls out his phone again, probably to tell Namjoon exactly what Yoongi had just said, and Jungkook resists the urge to bang his head against the wall. With a long sigh (he’s been sighing a lot lately, he feels like he might need to distance himself from idiocy), Jungkook shuffles into the already crowded kitchen and grabs another rag, running it under the water briefly before starting to clean the counter on the other side of the stove. Taehyung sniffs indignantly when Jungkook tells him to move out of the way, still pouting as he slinks out of the kitchen and goes to Hoseok for support.

It takes Jungkook and Yoongi about 5 minutes to clean the counters off completely, and in that time Namjoon has shown up at their door and invited himself in, whispering conspiratorially with Hoseok and Taehyung on the couch until Yoongi demanded they get their lazy asses up so they could go. Taehyung is still throwing moody looks at Yoongi as they climb into Namjoon’s car, but Yoongi ignores him, using his oldest hyung privileges to get the passenger seat while the rest of them stuff themselves into the backseat.

“Jin-hyung has already sent me 5 texts asking me where we are, we were supposed to be there 10 minutes ago,” Namjoon grumbles as he starts his car and backs out faster than Jungkook thinks is safe. Yoongi just shrugs and grabs Namjoon’s phone from the cup holder, entering the password and switching to his messages.

“I’m going to tell him that Taehyung ed up the kitchen and we had to clean it up,” Taehyung shoves his knees into the back of Yoongi’s seat and growls, but Yoongi ignores him. “Then Taehyung can be the one Seokjin-hyung looks at all disappointed, not us.”

“That’s just mean, hyung. Not the disappointed look, poor kid,” Hoseok leans forward in his seat, defending Taehyung, who looks like a kicked puppy or something equally pathetic and upsetting. He’s turned his puppy dog eyes on Hoseok, and it worked, but Yoongi is adamant, still salty about having to use up his morning cleaning up “dried noodles and god only knows what else”.

“It’s been at least a month since he last got the disappointed look, maybe it’ll teach him not to make noodles when he’s drunk off his ,” Yoongi deadpans, sending the message without hesitation. Taehyung makes a dying noise and slides down in his seat, and Hoseok pats him sympathetically on the shoulder. Jungkook, on the other hand, stares at the speedometer as the needle keeps getting higher, clutching the back of Namjoon’s chair with a vice grip.

“Um, hyung, don’t you think we’re going a little too fast?” Namjoon rolls his eyes so hard Jungkook knows he can’t see the road, but slows down so they’re only going 10 miles above the speed limit instead of 20. How nice of him.

“I don’t need a backseat driver, Jungkook.”

“You might, actually,” Hoseok pipes up, and Namjoon sends him a glare through the rearview mirror. Before Namjoon can retort, though, Yoongi is slapping his shoulder.

“We’re here, please turn into the parking lot before we miss it.” Griping about backseat (and side-seat) drivers, Namjoon makes the turn (a little quickly, in Jungkook’s opinion) and parks in the first available spot. Jungkook is the first one out of the car, and Hoseok is right behind him, complaining about Namjoon’s driving and saying that he should have driven.

“But did we die?” Namjoon locks his car doors and raises his eyebrows. “We didn’t die, right? So it’s fine, stop complaining.” Yoongi shakes his head and stalks off in the direction of the doors with Hoseok in tow via Hoseok’s long sleeves.

“How does hyung even deal with him? I’m willing to bet that he must pay hyung to stay around,” he whispers loudly to Hoseok, purposely letting Namjoon hear. Namjoon shoves his shoulder without malice and smiles slightly, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“Nah, he stays for my and winning personality.” Taehyung wrinkles his nose and sends a disgusted and rather offended look Namjoon's way.

“No, stop. Nobody wants to hear about your life, hyung.” Jungkook suddenly decides he doesn’t want to join this conversation and walks quickly ahead, beating them all into the restaurant and already getting a table when they catch up. Taehyung clutches Jungkook’s arm and makes him wait until Hoseok slides into the booth first before getting in and pulling Jungkook to sit down beside him, on the end. Yoongi and Namjoon sit on the opposite side, repeating their seating arrangement from the first time they ever stepped foot into the building restaurant.

Minutes later, Seokjin joins them, explaining that it’s his break as he slides in beside Namjoon. He gives Taehyung the disappointed look, but it goes away faster than usual, sliding away as he looks back at Namjoon and threads their fingers together under the table. Hoseok makes a noise that sounds a lot like “ew” and rolls his eyes, while Taehyung relaxes and finally breathes normally again. Jungkook leans his head against the back of the booth and closes his eyes momentarily, trying to work all the leftover sleepiness and anxiety from the drive over out of his body. Just as he begins to feel some of the tension seep out of his muscles, though, someone speaks.

“Hey everyone! What do you want to drink?” Jungkook’s eyes snap open when he hears the voice, and Jimin giggles at him, covering his mouth cutely with one hand. “Did I wake you up?” Jungkook clears his throat.

“Oh, um, no, I was just…” he trails off, not sure what to say, although he knows Taehyung and Hoseok are holding in their laughter behind him.

“We had a long morning, Jungkookie is just tired,” Hoseok drawls, grinning like (in Jungkook's opinion, mind you) an . Jimin giggles again, and Jungkook can’t find it in himself to get any more mad at Hoseok, not when the sun is currently standing at their table. Instead, he tells Jimin what he wants to drink and sits back as the others order as well, watching Jimin move and talk animatedly with the rest of the group. As Jimin walks away, Taehyung elbows him.

“You’re staring, Kookie~” Jungkook turns to glare at him and elbow him back, cheeks burning. Hoseok and Namjoon are laughing as quietly as is possible for either of them, and Yoongi and Seokjin are grinning (Yoongi even wiggles his eyebrows at him, there's a once for everything).

“Does everyone just know now, or..?” He trails off, too embarrassed to finish, wondering if it was too late to melt into an embarrassed puddle underneath the table.

“We all know, and we want to help you! So we’re having this… what do you call it? Convention?” Taehyung looks around helplessly, trailing off a bit.

“Intervention,” Yoongi corrects dryly. Taehyung brightens up again, and turns back to Jungkook.

“Yes! Intervention! We’re going to try to make you ask him out today!” Seokjin leans forward.

“We aren’t going to make you do anything, Jungkook. But they decided that you needed a push to confess your feelings and some of us (he side-eyes Namjoon and Hoseok here) are very impatient, so here we are. But we aren’t going to make you do anything.” Yoongi quietly shushes them as Jimin walks up with their drinks, smiling when Jimin pouts playfully. Jungkook resists the urge to kick him under the table.

“I wish I could take a break to hang out with you guys, but we’re shorthanded today,” he explains as he hands out their drinks, tucking the tray under his arm when he’s done. Seokjin apologizes and asks if Jimin wants him to cover for him for a bit, but Jimin shakes his head and slyly tells him to spend some time with his boyfriend. As he pulls out his notepad, though, he brightens up. “Oh, I might be able to spare some time after I finish cleaning up that table! I think they’re going to start sending people to someone else’s spot to give me a bit of a break-” He stops short and clears his throat, smiling sheepishly as he realizes he got distracted. “Anyway, does everyone know what they want?” After they’ve ordered and Jimin has disappeared back into the kitchen, Hoseok automatically jumps back to the subject.

“Jungkook, anyone who wasn’t too busy idolizing Jimin could tell that he likes you. And anyone who isn’t an oblivious ball of fluff could tell that you like him too. We’re all tired of watching you guys stare after each other like love-sick puppies who are too shy to do anything about it.” Yoongi places his phone down on the table as everyone nods in agreement to Hoseok’s statement.

“And so that’s why Taehyung said we’re going to make you do something about it. Because Jimin is too shy to say or do anything, so you’re going to be the one who has to make the move. Or one of us is going to make the move for you because he literally talked about you for like two hours the other day and I don’t know how much longer I can take this.” Jungkook stares at him in disbelief. Taehyung mirrors his reaction.

“He talked about me for two hours?”

“It’s possible to find enough things about Jungkook to talk about for two hours?” Jungkook elbows Taehyung, hard, making him lean into Hoseok and whine about Jungkook being a bully. Yoongi rubs his temples and nods, lowering his voice as Jimin comes out of the kitchen with a tray to begin clearing away one of the nearby tables. Jungkook bites his lip and looks down.

“But what if… I don’t know, he suddenly changes his mind and thinks I’m weird or something?” Hoseok groans loudly and almost slams his head on the table, but Yoongi’s hand soothes the impact.

“Oh my god, I can’t take this anymore, it’s painful!” He sits up and turns in one fluid motion, moving so that he’s facing Jimin, who had looked up to see what Hoseok was suddenly being so loud about. What he’s going to do hits Jungkook as he opens his mouth, and his dive to cover the other man’s mouth is a second too late. “Jimin, Jungkook is in love with you, please come tell him that you’re in love with him too!” Hoseok’s voice is loud enough for Jimin to hear him clearly. For a second that seems to drag on for eternity, there’s silence, and Jimin staring at him, open-mouthed.

And then there’s a crash as the plate Jimin had been holding slips out of his fingers and makes contact with the floor, a tinkling of ceramic as the pieces break away from the whole, and the spell is broken. Jimin jumps back with a gasp, eyes wide and face quickly turning red enough to rival a stop sign. Seokjin is out of his seat in an instant, telling Jimin not to move until he gets the gloves from the back so they can clean the sharp edges up safely. Hoseok and Taehyung are almost howling with laughter, Yoongi is covering his face with his hands, body shaking with laughter, and Namjoon is already going on about how this would make a ing great story for his creative writing class (Jungkook later realizes that he was not joking and comes very close to strangling his hyung when the story gets published in the school literary journal). Jungkook is frozen in place, afraid to move, and Jimin’s eyes slowly come up from the mess on the floor to meet his. The entire restaurant is staring by now, and Jungkook wants to make a run for it, but his legs suddenly no longer work and his brain isn't functioning correctly. The only thing working has to be his ability to blush, because his entire body seems to be burning red in embarrassment.

“Here, gloves! It won’t take that long to clean up, it broke off in mostly big pieces. Hyejin is bringing to broom over.” Jimin breaks eye contact again, numbly taking the offered gloves from Seokjin, and the laughter starts to die down at his reappearance.

“I-I can help!” Jungkook manages to get control over his tongue again, and his limbs remember how to move as he stands up and walks over awkwardly. “I mean, it was partially my fault. The least I can do is help.” Seokjin smiles at him, like a proud parent almost, and gives him one of gloves before turning to go find something to put the glass in. Jimin squats to start picking up the pieces, eyes flitting up to Jungkook’s and then darting away as he his lips. Jungkook follows his lead, picking carefully at the ceramic on the floor as he thinks of what he could possibly say.

“Are… are you really?” Jimin whispers, still looking at the ground instead of Jungkook. Jungkook is confused for a half a second before he realizes Jimin is asking him if he really loves him, and then Jungkook almost falls over in his rush to answer.

“I am. Are you really?” Jimin looks up, right into his eyes, and relaxes slowly, relief darting through his features as his face melts into a wide smile.

“I am. Does this mean you want me to be your boyfriend?” Jungkook feels like all the air has been out of his lungs, but it feels good, like the first drop on a rollercoaster.

“Only if you want to be my boyfriend,” he breathes, heart jumping up to get stuck in his throat.

“I want to be,” Jimin is barely done speaking when Jungkook dives forward and kisses him, his hand that isn’t holding broken ceramic coming up to rest on the back of Jimin’s neck. Jimin falls into him, tilting his head to kiss Jungkook back and pulling his hands away as to not poke either of them with sharp edges. The bang of the trash bin being sat down beside them shocks them apart, and as Jungkook pulls back, head still trying to focus, he realizes that everyone around them is cheering. A girl with short red hair who Jungkook guesses must be Hyejin is giving Seokjin a high five, and Hoseok has his phone up, probably videoing the whole ordeal. Jimin flushes again and looks away as he throws his ceramic pieces into the trash bin, but Jungkook catches the smile on his face and can’t help the way his face splits into his own smile.

“Now you’re stuck with me forever,” Jungkook sings-songs softly as he dumps the rest of the plate into the bin. “You’re going to have to deal with all the bad things I know Taehyung-hyung and Hoseok-hyung told you about me before you met me.” Jimin grabs Jungkook’s hands, ignoring Yoongi’s groan of ‘oh god, it’s too cute’.

“You’re going to have to deal with all my bad things too. I’m going to cuddle you all the time and make you give me lots of kisses and send you lots of dorky texts when you’re in class.” Jungkook stands, pulling Jimin with him.

“Those all sound like good things to me.” Behind him, Yoongi gags at his corniness and Taehyung groans, but Jungkook can’t bring himself to care. Not when Jimin is giggling and wrapping his arms around him to give him another kiss.


Annd, that's the end! Thank you to everyone who supported this story and left comments, I really appreciat it. I hope everyone enjoyed reading!