The Time Jungkook Admires Jimin

What I Want Isn't on the Menu (It's You)

Sundays were usually boring for Jungkook. There were no classes to attend, which was good, but there also wasn’t much for him to do. Fridays he went partying, Saturdays he finished his homework, and Sundays he caught up on all the sleep university had taken from him thus far in his freshman year. But lately, he’d been waking up only a little past nine, wide awake and staring restlessly at the ceiling wishing he could just go back to sleep. Sometimes he would do all the homework he had put off doing the day before because it wasn’t due until much later, sometimes he would go dancing with Hoseok, but usually he’d just get lost on YouTube and mope around until Yoongi threw something at him and threatened to kick his if he didn’t go out and stop acting sad because he couldn’t get any more sleep.

“Not all of us are ing geniuses who can get our homework done in one day, you’re distracting me, go out and annoy someone else for ’s sake,” Yoongi would mutter from his permanent spot on the large couch in the living room of the house they shared with the hyperactive Taehyung and Jungkook’s longtime friend Hoseok. It was usually after Yoongi grumbled at him that he convinced Hoseok to go dancing or let Taehyung drag him out to go do whatever the hell Taehyung liked to do on Sundays (Taehyung also got all his homework done early, as surprising as it was, and seemed overjoyed whenever Jungkook let him pull him into whatever mischief he was up to that week). And sometimes, only sometimes, on the rare Sundays Yoongi actually moved, he managed to convince Yoongi and his friend Namjoon to let him go to the recording studio with them.

On this particular Sunday, though, Seokjin calls him before he has even started his weekly YouTube mope session. Jungkook had met Seokjin through Namjoon, Hoseok, and Yoongi on a Friday night when the hyungs had taken him and Taehyung to a house party and introduced them to a bunch of their friends before disappearing and leaving the two of them to fend for themselves. Seokjin had been nice enough to stay with them most of the night and make them feel more comfortable, especially for Jungkook, who knew absolutely nobody. They’d ended up exchanging numbers before Namjoon came back and Seokjin disappeared with him, and a tipsy Taehyung whispered his theory about their relationship to Jungkook as they ditched their hyungs and headed home alone.

Since then, Seokjin had become part of Jungkook’s life, dropping in with food sometimes, or offering to take them out to go get something before they “died of malnourishment seriously Yoongi get off your and come eat”. He was pretty much their mother, and Jungkook wondered if Namjoon would even be alive if Seokjin wasn’t around to help him do even the most basic things. Jungkook wondered the same about Yoongi as well, but at least Yoongi didn’t break everything he touched.

Either way, Seokjin was the one who made sure they ate properly, and that was just what he wanted this particular Sunday. Jungkook was startled into reality by his phone loudly blaring some tune that Taehyung had set as his ringtone one night and he’d been too lazy to change. Blinking blearily, he picks up the phone and squints at the caller ID. “Jin-Hyung” flashes in bright pink and Jungkook clears his throat before pressing the “answer” button.

“Hyung, what’s up?”

“Jungkookie! I hope I didn’t interrupt anything?”

“Don’t worry hyung, I wasn’t doing anything,” Seokjin cuts him off before he can say anything else, and he sounds excited.

“Oh, good! Kookie, can you do me a favor? Make sure the other guys are up and ready in about ten minutes, Namjoonie and I are about to leave and we’ll be over there to pick you guys up soon.”

“You’re picking us up? What’s the special occasion?”

“It’s a surprise! You’ll see when we get there! I promise it’s something you’ll all like.” Namjoon’s voice sounds on the other side of the line, and Seokjin pulls the phone away from his mouth to laugh at whatever it was before returning his attention to Jungkook. “I have to go now. We’ll see you in a few!” With that, Seokjin hangs up, and Jungkook stares at the phone in his hands before grunting and rolling out of bed, grabbing a random shirt from his dresser, and pulling it over his head as he walks out into the hall and down to the living room. Yoongi is in the same spot, as always. Jungkook uses his task as an excuse to throw one of the hats sitting on the coffee table at him to get his attention. It works.

“What the actual , Jungkook,” Yoongi practically growls, yanking off his headphones and throwing the hat back at the younger with as much force as he can muster. Jungkook catches it and grins mischievously.

“Jin-hyung said I have to tell you all to get up and get ready to go because he and Namjoon-hyung are going to be here in ten minutes to pick us up and take us somewhere.” Yoongi glowers at him, closing his laptop and placing it to the side. Before he can say anything, though, Taehyung comes crashing, quite literally, into the room. Pity, Jungkook had grown to like that little clay horse Hoseok had made the one time someone managed to convince him to take an art class with them.

“If Jin-hyung is coming, that means food!” He yells, and promptly kicks the three clay pieces that had been the horse under the table where it had been resting. Hoseok walks in just in time to see his beloved horse being kicked under the table, now in pieces, and lets out a wail of anguish before rushing to gather up the pieces of the horse and cradle them to his chest.

“J-Horse,” he sniffles, looking down sadly, and Jungkook wonders if he’s the only sane one in the house.

“Yes,” he drawls slowly, still looking at the devastated Hoseok out of the side of his eyes, “Jin-hyung picking us up means food. Which means we all should be ready to go when he gets here so we can get said food.” Yoongi sighs and stands, stretching and wrinkling up his face when he yawns. Sometimes he can be cute, but usually it’s overridden by his ever-grumpy personality.

“Did he happen to mention where he’s planning on taking us?” Jungkook shakes his head, and Yoongi rolls his eyes. “Typical,” he mutters, but shuffles away towards his room to change into something more decent than old sweatpants and an oversized shirt that Jungkook thinks might be one of Hoseok’s (he doesn’t know, though, everyone’s shirts look big on Yoongi). Taehyung follows him back into the hall with a whoop and another loud yell of “food!”, and Jungkook is about to follow them when he remembers Hoseok, who is beginning to look like an empty shell of a man as he clutches the remains his beloved horse. Jungkook sighs.

“Hoseok-hyung, I have some glue that might help you put it back together.” On cue, Hoseok perks up and practically glows with hopefulness.

“Really? You can fix J-Horse??” Jungkook rolls his eyes at his hyung and nods, stepping towards his room.

“Yes, I can fix… J-Horse. Just come on, we need to be getting ready while we fix him.”

“Jungkook and Hoseok-hyung are getting with each other!” Taehyung yells loudly, poking his head out of his room. Jungkook is satisfied at the squeak Taehyung makes when the hat previously thrown at Yoongi collides with his face.

 

-

 

Somehow, they all manage to be ready when Seokjin knocks on their door, with J-Horse safely stowed away in Hoseok’s room, all in one piece and away from “the hurricane named goddamn Kim mothering Taehyung”. After they’ve all piled into Seokjin’s SUV and buckled up, Yoongi leans back in his seat and crosses his arms across his chest.

“Can we know where we’re going now, hyung? I swear to god, if we end up driving across town to get to a sell at a grocery store one more time I’m never going anywhere with you again.” Seokjin laughs good-naturedly and shakes his head as he starts the car and puts it into gear.

“No worries, we have no need to go find a grocery store today. I’m taking everyone to a new restaurant in town, I know someone who works there and he says it’s really good!” Namjoon snorts from the passenger seat, still looking at his phone as they begin driving.

“What he means is that he knows someone there and he’s trying to get a job as a chef before they fill the empty position, so he’s taking us to be his support while he has his interview.” Taehyung lurches forward and grabs the back of Seokjin’s seat, eyes wide.

“Hyung, you might get a job as a chef? Good job! You’ll give us discounts on the food, right?” He smiles sweetly and Yoongi groans, covering his eyes and pretending to gag.

“Don’t try to act cute, Taehyung. We all know you’re evil.”

“Don’t be mean to him, Yoongi,” Seokjin scolds, glancing into the rearview mirror for a moment before focusing back on the road. “And no, Tae, no discounts on the food. If you’re nice I might make you the dishes at home, though.” Taehyung fist pumps and whoops again, making Yoongi wince and grumble something about loud kids as he turns to look out the window. Jungkook glances over at Hoseok, half surprised that the other hadn’t blurted out something about how he thought Taehyung was plenty cute enough, but apparently his hyung was still sulking, because Hoseok was stubbornly staring out the window and refusing to look at Taehyung’s side of the car. If this were a cartoon, Jungkook knew there would be a raincloud over his head at this very minute, but this wasn’t a cartoon and real life sulking Hoseok wasn’t any fun. Then Seokjin started playing some very cutesy girl group song very loudly over the speakers and Jungkook joined Hoseok in his sulking, wishing he had brought his headphones to block out Seokjin’s bad taste in music and Taehyung’s enthusiastic singing. At least Hoseok was too emo to start dancing along.

Just when Jungkook thinks he might have to try to shove Taehyung over so he can roll down the window and jump out, Seokjin turns on his blinker and pulls into the parking lot of a small restaurant with a large Now Open sign hanging over the doors. Yoongi is the first one unbuckled and out of the car, and Jungkook is not far behind him, breathing a sigh of relief when his feet hit the pavement. Taehyung and Hoseok come tumbling out behind him, Hoseok somehow perking up now that the smell of food is in the air, and Taehyung is already halfway to the entrance before they get the car locked. Namjoon groans and rubs his face.

“If he does anything stupid, we don’t know him.” Seokjin softly hits his chest before linking their pinkies together and calling for Taehyung to wait for the rest of them at the door. Jungkook, Yoongi, and Hoseok pretend to gag behind them at the display of affection, and Hoseok pulls out his phone, probably to post something embarrassing on Snapchat. The raincloud has completely disappeared, replaced by Hoseok’s 100 watt smile, and Jungkook shakes his head incredulously before jogging to catch up to Taehyung, stopping when he gets to the door and turning around to watch his hyungs walk up. Taehyung opens one door dramatically, and Jungkook, for kicks, does the same, dipping into the same bow as Taehyung. Seokjin laughs, and Yoongi tells them to stop being embarrassing. Jungkook manages to cover Taehyung’s mouth before he can shout anything, and they walk into the restaurant in relevant peace.

Only a few moments after they’re seated, Seokjin is pulled away for his interview. They send him away with a few hushed cheers and pats on the back (Namjoon totally patted him on the but everyone pretended not to see) before diving into their menus. Jungkook ends up pouring over the seemingly endless menu with no avail. Everything sounds amazing, and he has no idea what he wants. He turns to Taehyung and leans over to look at his menu, resting his chin on Taehyung’s shoulder.

“What are you planning on getting? I can’t decide.” Taehyung quickly points out the naengmyeon and grins.

“I want to taste it before and after Jin-hyung is a chef here. Because Jin-hyung makes the best naengmyeon I’ve ever had.”

“Don’t you mean if Jin-hyung gets the job?” Taehyung elbows Hoseok in the side and glares slightly.

“Of course Jin-hyung is going to get the job. He’s amazing at what he does. Nobody is better than our mom.” Namjoon rubs his temples, and Jungkook wonders if he’s stressing for Seokjin. But then again, he doesn’t really have to wonder. The guy even stressed over a rip in Seokjin’s shirt the other day because it was cold, of course he would be stressing now. Before Taehyung can go on about how great Seokjin is, and before Jungkook can remind Namjoon that stressing so much is going to age him prematurely, a waitress comes up to take their order. Jungkook ends up ordering the same thing as Taehyung, only because he actually is curious now that Taehyung has brought up the point of Seokjin making the same dish and totally not because he had been too distracted to officially decide earlier. Namjoon orders for Seokjin and begins to drum his fingers on the table distractedly until Yoongi throws a napkin at him and tells him stop before he shoves him into the kitchen to go see how his boyfriend is doing for himself.

“Shut up,” Namjoon glowers, but his cheeks and the tips of his ears have gone red, and Hoseok snickers at him. Namjoon picks up the napkin Yoongi threw at him, but before he can launch it at the man sitting across from him, Seokjin’s voice sounds from near their table. Five heads turn in unison towards his voice, and Namjoon looks like he might faint as they watch Seokjin shake hands with someone who seems to be the owner. They’re all smiles, and Jungkook is about to tell Namjoon that he shouldn’t have even worried, but then Seokjin steps back and reveals another figure and Jungkook’s mouth goes dry. His friends have started talking about something, but Jungkook doesn’t hear them, too busy staring at the smiling man beside Seokjin to care about anything else in the universe.

He is short, especially next to Seokjin, but Jungkook can tell he has a muscular frame underneath the uniform and apron. His hair is fluffy and falls into his eyes, but it isn’t long enough to hide the piercings in his ears. His eyes disappear completely when he laughs, and his smile is probably the most beautiful thing Jungkook has ever seen, which is saying a lot, considering Jungkook sees Seokjin all the time. Jungkook isn’t done with his admiring when Seokjin suddenly turns towards them and begins to walk over, the object of Jungkook’s admiration following close behind, and oh god. Jungkook knows he’s ed when their eyes meet, and he shrinks back into the booth, trying to pretend that he hadn’t been staring.

“Hyung, hyung, how did you do?” Taehyung leans over Jungkook to get closer to Seokjin as the pair walks up, his eyes wider than usual as he grins excitedly. Seokjin’s smile gets even wider and he gives them a thumbs up, his other hand coming down to brush against Namjoon’s shoulder.

“I got the job! My first day is tomorrow, so I’m going to pay for everyone’s meals in celebration,” everyone cheers, especially Taehyung, and Seokjin playfully squints at them. “That is, as long as nobody ordered anything too expensive. If you ordered something expensive, you’re paying for yourself, I’m not that nice.”

“Don’t worry hyung, nobody ordered anything too expensive, Namjoon wouldn’t have let us anyway,” Hoseok leans over as well as he speaks, squishing Jungkook under Taehyung. “Hey, it’s Jiminnie! Hyung, you didn’t tell us that Jimin was the friend you knew here.” Jungkook had been busy trying to push Taehyung off of him so he didn’t suffocate, but when Hoseok says the guy’s name, Jungkook stops pushing and Taehyung collapses onto him, knocking the breath out of both of them and making Yoongi cackle. Before either of them can do anything, Jimin -as Hoseok had called him- laughs softly, and Jungkook’s heart totally doesn’t stop because that’s cheesy and gross and completely not like him.

“Hi Hoseok-hyung, I just started working here a few days ago myself.” There’s a slight flush to his cheeks as he speaks. “I told Seokjin-hyung about the job after he asked me if I wanted to move in with him and Namjoon-hyung because I’m not going to live in the dorms anymore. I’ll be able to see everyone so much more now!” He’s still smiling widely, and Jungkook feels a pain in his chest. The pain might be from Taehyung’s elbow digging into that same spot as he struggles to sit up, but Jungkook is busy staring again to notice Taehyung’s futile attempts to get off him.

“I get to see Jiminnie a lot now~” Taehyung ends up giving up and lays down on Jungkook’s lap instead, shifting around before looking up and grinning. “Jimin, you can come hang out with me and Jungkook!” Taehyung pats Jungkook’s chest as he speaks, as if to show Jimin who Jungkook is. “We’ll cure his boredom on Sundays and then Yoongi-hyung won’t have to throw so many things at him!” Jungkook stares down at the guy in his lap, then at the guys around him, wondering if he’s the only one who doesn’t know this Jimin. Apparently he is, because Yoongi was saying something to Jimin in a friendly manner, which is rare for Yoongi ever, and Jungkook resists the urge to slide under the table and never come out again. Before he can go into hiding and inevitably drag Taehyung down with him, Seokjin is saying his name.

“Jimin, this is Jungkook,” Seokjin lays one hand on his shoulder, the other on Jimin’s. “Jungkook, this is Jimin.” Jimin smiles brightly at Jungkook and woah, Jungkook might need to invest in some sunglasses if he’ll be seeing Jimin often.

“It’s nice to meet you, Jungkook. Taehyung and Hoseok talk about you a lot, I’m surprised we haven’t met yet.” Jungkook side-eyes his hyungs, wondering what they could of said. They both have on their innocent faces, but Jungkook knows that must mean it was bad things. Oh god. They probably told Jimin how he sulks on Sundays and takes really long showers and leaves his clothes on chairs because he’s too lazy to re-fold them. There’s no telling what Jimin thinks of him now.

“What have they said about me?” He’s almost afraid to ask, but Jimin giggles (he ing giggles, Jungkook cannot handle this) and shakes his head.

“They’ve just told me about how you like to dance and that you sing a lot, that’s all.” The younger hardly believes that’s all the truth, but he pushes Taehyung up and moves over to let Jimin sit down beside him anyway. Hoseok complains about it being cramped, Yoongi tells him to shut up, Jimin giggles again, and Jungkook realizes he is royally and irreparably ed.


The chapter looked much longer when looking at the word count... Also, naengmyeon is the only Korean food I've ever had other than Kimchi so... Please forgive me if they don't usually serve it frequently in South Korea. Chapter 2 will be up soon! It's almost done and then chapter 3 shouldn't be that far behind. Sweats. Please be patient with me, I write very slowly.