001

When I Was Your Man

She broke up with him. He vowed to use his freedom to the full.

And now she needed his help.

Would he get something out of it?

 


🔸🔸🔸

 

“Hyung your phone’s ringing again!”

 

Junmyeon sighed at Chen’s announcement.

It’d been the 5th time it rang, and it wasn't even noon!

He ran his hand over his face in exasperation.

 

Why is she all of a sudden calling? She’s the one who broke up with me! He thought in frustration.

 

“You know she won't stop.” Kyungsoo sat on the barstool next to him.

 

“Yeah… I know.” Junmyeon sighed for the millionth time.

 

If there's anything he remembered about TaeYoo, is that she’s persistent.

If she wanted something, she’d find a way to get it.

And what he thought at first was a -dial, is now sounding like desperation to him.

 

It was around 3 in the afternoon now and Junmyeon sat in bed fiddling with his phone.

She’d called a few more times then suddenly stopped.

The last call notified a voicemail message.

 

📲

 

Junmyeon I need your help. Please.

 

📲

 

That's all she said.

No explanation.

No nothing.

Just an request of the guy's assistance.

 

After looking at the phone for another God knows how long, Junmyeon finally called back and scheduled a meet up.

 

⏳⏳⏳

 

“I didn't think you’d come.” TaeYoo stared in awe as Junmyeon sat across from her.

 

“You sounded desperate.” He shrugged.

 

She chuckled. “That obvious huh?”

 

His face forced a tight line with his lips, carefully thinking about what to say next.   

 

“How are you Junmyeon?” She broke the silence.

 

“Curious huh?” He shot back with sarcasm. “Well I can say the single life is treating me pretty good. Gained some friends, experienced a few things, gone to a few places.” Junmyeon revealed.

 

TaeYoo smiled a bit. “Glad to know you’re ok.”

 

“So I don't want to sound rude, but why are we meeting up again?” Junmyeon asked.

 

He didn't really want to be seen with his ex on what could look like a meet up or make up.

 

“Oh sorry, uhm yeah so my cousin is getting married next Saturday…” she started.

 

Junmyeon nodded to let her continue.

 

“…and she wants me to bring someone…”

 

And there it is!. Junmyeon inwardly smirks. He looked away for a moment then returned his attention to her. “And where are the other oh-so-many suitors you had before breaking up with me?” I questioned sarcastically.

 

“She would hate them, Junmyeon! She’d instantly judge them and… and…” TaeYoo began getting frustrated.

 

Why did her cousin request that TaeYoo bring a date anyway? She’ll know the families that should be there.

 

⏳⏳⏳

 

Junmyeon entered the door of his shared home dragging his feet.

 

“Whoa hyung you look like a mess.” Jongin teased the elder as he plopped himself face down on the couch.

 

“You have no idea.” Junmyeon muffled into the cushion.

 

“Hey did Jun- whoa! Haha I mean if it's that bad-”

 

“It is that bad!” Junmyeon retorted he shot up.

 

“Well then tell us!” Chen threw his hands up.

 

“I just agreed to be TaeYoo’s plus one for her cousin’s wedding.” Junmyeon’s face showed distaste of the situation.

 

He realized the the promise he made, yet again, and dropped face first back into the sofa with a groan.

 

You could hear a pin drop in the living room.

Silence.

The guys didn't expect that of all things.

Especially since Junmyeon was the one to do his best to forget her and their relationship completely.

 

“Whoa.” Sehun responded for everyone.

 

⏳⏳⏳

 

The dreaded day came for Junmyeon and he was donned in a classic black and white tux for the wedding.

 

TaeYoo couldn't be more happy that Junmyeon agreed. She promised that after this event, their relationship be strictly friendship only.

 

Even at the reception, she introduced him as her friend which surprised Junmyeon.

 

“TaeYoo!”

 

The girl turned around with a smile. “Unni! You look beautiful!”

 

“Thank you Tae! And who might this be?”

 

“Oh I'm sorry, TaeYeon unni this is Junmyeon; Junmyeon, my cousin and the bride, TaeYeon.” TaeYoo introduced the two.

 

“Is he-”

 

“No he’s only a friend. Helping me last minute since you pretty much forced me to bring a guy.” TaeYoo glared at the bride slightly.

 

“Well forgive me Junmyeon, I didn't mean to make this awkward.” TaeYeon pinked in embarrassment.

 

“No worries TaeYeon-ssi. It’s all behind us. Congratulations on your marriage also. I wish you the best.” Junmyeon bowed.

 

“Thank you very much. Wish I could talk more but I must make my rounds for the rest of the reception. Have fun!” TaeYeon waved to them.

 

The rest of the reception went smoothly.

The first dance had many cameras out.

The father/daughter and mother/son dances created many tears.

The cutting of the cake sounded many laughs.

At this point everyone was dancing the rest of the night away.

And since dancing was not Junmyeon’s specialty, he decided to step out of the hall to get some fresh air.

 

He took a deep breath and sighed. One day I’ll get here. He nodded to himself. I’ll find the right girl. He took a sip of his champagne. And maybe-

 

“Everything ok out here?” A female voice cut off his daydreaming.

 

He turned surprised. “Oh yes everything is fine. Just needed some air.”

 

“Ahh. Yeah it can get stuffy with indoor receptions.” She made herself comfortable leaning next to him at the balcony wall. “Mind if I join you?” She asked.

 

He shook his head, turned back out to see the action happening inside and sighed.

 

“Are you having a good time?” The girl asked looking out to the view.

 

“It's alright. I’m not too fond of parties, but I enjoy wedding a little more.” He stopped and turned his head to her. “I don't want to sound rude but who are you to care? It’s not the first question most people ask when they first meet.” Junmyeon was beginning to be curious about this girl’s boldness.

 

“Oh I’m the wedding planner.” She turned her head to smile at him. “I just want to make sure that the reception keeps everyone entertained.” She stood up straight with her hands running over the balcony wall.

 

“Wait hold on you are the wedding planner?” Junmyeon was shocked. She looked younger than him! “You did all this?? We look the same age!” He exclaimed.

 

She laughed a bit. “Yeah I did all this. To shock you more I’ve only doing it professionally for a couple years.”

 

“I’m amazed.” Junmyeon couldn't help but laugh a little too. “I feel under accomplished next to you.” He slumped on his elbows on the wall.

 

“Oh don't be. Ironically, I wouldn't be here if my boyfriend of 2 years didn't break up with me.” She shrugged nonchalantly.

 

“Ok before we go into background stories, I feel like we should exchange names.” Junmyeon laughed.

 

The girl extended her hand to him. “Lee JiHwa.” She smiled.


He grabbed her hand and smiled back, “Kim Junmyeon.”