Chapter 6

Double Agent

It was their first mission together.

 

The duo were inside the car in a not so crowded parking lot, waiting impatiently for a figure to appear out of the corner. Their target was a man, who had a short boxed beard wearing a suit who owned a silver convertible Camaro. Inside the car held a large suitcase that contained a bomb according to the debriefing this morning.

 

Neither agents spoke a word to each other. The silence continued after leaving headquarters. Sera’s mind still held unanswered questions after Hyuna fled from practice yesterday. The younger agent would casually sneaked gazes at Hyuna’s profile in attempt to let her say something.

 

Hyuna noticed, but said nothing.

 

Before Sera mustered up the courage to confront her partner, Hyuna shaked Sera’s forearm when she spotted a person in motion fifty feet away. The person who seemed to accurately describe who they were looking for.

 

“Does it look like him?” Hyuna whispered leaning towards Sera’s side.

 

Sera squinted her eyes to find the man. She nodded her head rapidly, but before making an exit out of the car, Hyuna told her to stay put.

 

“You can’t walk up to him just like that. We need a plan.” Hyuna released a sigh, closing her eyes for a brief moment before glaring at Sera with a look of contempt. “You’re putting your partner at risk too.” She continued.

 

Oddly enough, Hyuna’s words stung Sera. She never wanted to risk anyone’s life for her mistake. Sera had the type of urge to get tasks done as quickly and efficiently as possible. Hyuna went on a different route. As an agent who dealt with enough trial and errors, she thought it is better to complete the mission thoroughly with enough information.

 

The target approximately was fifty feet away from them. His pace never accelerated, even after glancing around making sure nobody was following him.

 

After the older agent explained her idea of getting inside the other person’s car. Sera agreed to follow her orders by finding the suitcase when he was knocked unconscious. It was risky, but it was better not to leave any signs of evidence out in the open.

 

-

 

After counting down silently in both of their heads, the agents swiftly dived out the car without alerting their target. Sera hid between the post on alert, waited for his car to unlock. Hyuna crouched down onto the pavement across from his car and waited for a figure to emerge out the corner of her eye.

 

Sera in her breath as she turned her head to find the target staring her down. Out of instinct, the young agent stepped forward, lashing a fist out. But, he was too fast for her. Sera clumsily straightened her balance out before she took another chance to knock him down.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re trying to stop me.” There was mock hanging in his voice. He squinted his eyes at Sera, as if he was trying to read her.

 

The man swung his arm and landed a punch on agent’s stomach. She grunted, while clutching her chest, but came to the realization that there wasn’t any time to waste. The bomb could’ve been activated already.

 

Hastily running towards him, Sera’s knuckles met the bridge of his nose.

 

Blood began dripping from his nostrils. This time he kicked her, causing the agent curl up on the floor. Bringing his foot up to her face, Sera held part of his shoe preventing her from being squished. She swung her free leg landing a kick in his groin, earning a whimper.

 

He mumbled a few curses between breaths.

 

The man averted his gaze, only to hear light footsteps coming towards her. His ragged breathing slowly came to a stop.

 

“Tell me, is the bomb activated?”

 

He didn’t answer. His attention shifted to a figure behind Sera.

 

“It’s you again.” He said, wiping his own blood with the back of his hand.

 

“I don’t remember you.” Hyuna says, picking up the pace then, lifting sharp objects from her boot and aiming for the man’s shoulders.

 

He was pinned to the post by the daggers she threw. It shocked the both of them, especially Sera. Being at Hyuna’s side revealed a new physical aspect: her sharp skills. Of course Sera noticed this from training, but in this situation it seemed effortless.  

 

“Is the bomb activated?” Hyuna tilted her head, swaying her hips while walking towards the target.

 

“Why would I tell you?”

 

Sera couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Hyuna was too close to him. Almost as if Hyuna wanted something more out of this. As if she was trying to tame him in her seductive manner? She leaned in to whisper in his ear. But, at the sight of it, Sera saw Hyuna’s hand carefully reached his right pocket.

 

Hyuna grinned widely turning back to Sera.

 

“Sera, make sure the bomb isn’t activated. And if it is go deactivate it.” Hyuna picked the keys from the man’s pocket throwing it to Sera.

 

Obeying her demands, Sera quickly got to work searching for his car for the bomb.

 

With Hyuna’s back facing in front of him, he saw his opportunity and kick her, causing her to trip on her own feet. He drew a sharp knife from a pocket inside his jacket. Hyuna got up on her feet, moving closer to him. Her knee drew into his chest, but somehow he got a hold of her, causing the knife to slash her the side of her stomach. Clenching her teeth, the agent ignored the stinging.

 

Hyuna kept fighting. The constant effort this man built by trying to get past her, lead her to one conclusion.

 

The man savagely tried to swing the knife, causing Hyuna to walk backwards. When he was in her reach, the tip of his blade skinned Hyuna’s cheek.

 

Grabbing him by the wrist and twisting his arm around, Hyuna ed her hand onto his chest until he was inches away from the same post. She finally got a hold of his head and met it alongside the cracked wall, knocking him unconscious. He slumped down from the post.

 

With all the adrenaline pumping through her veins, Hyuna almost forgot that she was injured. After taking a couple of steps she could feel the cut on her stomach stretching centimeter by centimeter.  

 

Sera helplessly watched Hyuna fight with the man after confirming in her earpiece that the bomb was deactivated. She sprinted her way next to Hyuna.

 

“Come on, let’s go. We’re finished here.” Sera scanned Hyuna’s face trying not to indicate any sign of panic. A line of blood dripped across her cheek. The rookie’s hand grasped her partners taking an exited from the scene and headed back to headquarters.

 

-

There were countless concerns when entering the front door. Sera held the suitcase in one hand and Hyuna’s hand on the other. There was nothing to worry about, but the bundle of nerves kept shaking her body at the sight of blood. Not that Sera winced at the sight of blood, but seeing her partner get hurt for doing most of the work made her feel useless. Being agent is about taking risks, but risking her partner wasn’t in her list.

 

After dropping off the evidence, they headed straight to the infirmary.

 

Sera gestured Hyuna to take a seat. She wiped her face clean then covered her cheek with a thin layer of ointment topping with a bandage. Hyuna was astonish by Sera’s kind actions. She could've called a nurse to help her, but she let her handle the situation. Instantly, she felt a sharp pain from her stomach. She felt the blood seeping through her clothing.

 

“Are you hurt anywhere else?” Sera asked while opening the cabinet to find more bandages.

 

“He slashed me on this side…” Hyuna hovered her hand by the side of her stomach, wincing as she moved to lay herself down on the mattress. “He has thing with knifes.” She let out a humorless laugh easing up the atmosphere.

 

A weak smile formed on Sera’s lips. She turned around to find Hyuna trying to find a comfortable position. A shock of waves hit her nerves as she watched her partner in pain. She hastily walked towards her carrying more ointment and bandages.

 

“Where is it?”

 

Hyuna pointed at her stomach.

 

“I need you to take off your shirt… I can’t put this on.” Sera’s voice was quieter than she intended to be.

 

“Everytime I try to move… it hurts.” Hyuna attempted to take the hem of her shirt and pulled upward to the best of her ability. The clothing agents use were tight. She thought it was stupid that she can’t even lift up her own shirt. It was no use. Moving only burned her skin even more.

 

“Bare with me.” Sera said calmly, adjusting her position.

 

She was closer to Hyuna now. Her hands were centimeters below Hyuna’s cut. Hyuna felt a mixture of chills and sweat run through her back. Sera fingers hooked around the hem of the fabric prying off her clothing. Sera’s eyes roamed around her body for a split second. She returned to focus on helping out her partner.

 

There were goosebumps trailing the older agent’s body after her skin was exposed. She shuddered at the delicate touch of Sera’s fingers as they brushed against her skin.

 

The cut was deep, but it didn’t need stitches. The injury appeared above her bellybutton curving to the side of her waist.

 

Hyuna lowered her eyes to see Sera. She was hesitant and careful on handling her patient. The younger girl’s brows creased into deep concentration, as she gently took care of the wound. Hyuna held in a sharp breath when a sudden agonizing pain ripped through torso. Sera snapped her head up watching her partner’s expression. She whispered a quick apology and continued to do her works, a constant reminder encrypted in Sera’s skull.

 

Be more cautious. You don’t want to give her anymore pain.

 

Finishing up the last layer of medication, Sera covered the area with a single white patch. Her head glanced up to find a pair of brown eyes staring at her. Sera couldn’t help herself and avoid Hyuna when she was glaring at her.

 

A glint of enlightenment wavered over Hyuna’s eyes urging Sera to close the space between them. Hearing their call, she leaned forward to hover Hyuna’s lips with her own. Hyuna felt Sera’s warmth sink into her own, immediately blanketing the pain from her cuts. The intimate atmosphere began encouraging Sera to take this kiss further, but she suddenly felt a surge of guilt rise in her chest.

 

I shouldn’t be doing this.

 

“I’m sorry,” Sera confessed holding herself back.

 

“For what?”

 

“You got hurt. If I only moved quickly enough to help you...”

 

“No, it’s okay. We’re suppose to get hurt. It helps us learn from our mistakes. Now you know.” Hyuna replied, displaying a reassuring look.

 

The worries of yesterday vanished as she looked at Hyuna, who was smiling. It was a relief to Sera that they both somehow resurfaced their trust. As bad as it may seem, Sera was glad that Hyuna got hurt.

 

“I’ll tell the others you’re fine. You can rest here. I’ll make sure nobody comes in.” Sera patted her partner’s leg before she got up.

 

Hyuna grabbed Sera’s hand before she was out of her reach.

 

“Stay.” Her voice was soft.