Chapter 2

Double Agent

Final preparations of the exam were already closed. Directors and top agents were discussing what they need to focus on in terms of strength, stamina, and skills. Only the directors were allowed to judge and write down scores of the participant’s performance. Other agents watch knowing that one of these students will be their partner in the future.

Moon Hyuna was impatient. She was sitting on her assigned seat for a good five minutes, she was eager to see her perform. Constantly, tapping her foot against the floor it annoyed the director next to her.

“Do you mind?” Kyungri gently tapped the other girl’s forearm then pointed at her foot.

Halting her foot from making anymore movements, Hyuna laughed quietly.

“Sorry about that. I can’t wait to see the ones who have the potential of working with us.” Hyuna took a slight pause bringing up a question, “Have you met any of them?”

The director was finishing deciphering codes of a current project until she managed to hit the home screen before Hyuna caught on what she was doing.

“Yes actually, one in particular. She stops by my office time to time.” Kyungri chirped and stopped herself before revealing any other information. 

The day after Sera miraculously wounded up meeting Hyuna late at night after practice, Sera stopped by Kyungri’s office talking about a particular agent that worked in her level. It was late and she was preparing to go home for the night. As guilty as Kyungri felt she knew that she was the only person she could talk to she stayed. While describing the woman Kyungri knew it was bound to be her, Moon Hyuna. She always has felt this cool aura around her since they first met. Hyuna is magnetic, it was almost impossible resisting to take a glance at her ethereal features.

“Ryu Sera” the speaker announced.

Kyungri leaned closer to Hyuna. “That’s her.” she whispered.

With already five minutes until the stimulation was over, Sera started to break a sweat. Out of the five targets she needed to aim with the gun, she hit them perfectly. She couldn’t have her fingers slipping while pulling the trigger. The agent’s procedures were right all along. Setting an example of what not to do days ago, Sera picked up all the different combinations of where to hit and kick when the opponent attacked. She silently thanked her.

The pressure was on and there was a sting hitting the back of her head. It pounded each time her head moved up and down to look at her keyboard and the screen. Cracking codes wasn’t the best ability she had. Being technical with tricky computers wasn’t exactly her forte. Coincidentally, on the last day while everyone was practicing out in the field, she was alone in her dorm intensely focusing on reading notes that were taken by Kyungri.

The alarm rang giving her a warning that there is a minute left. Sera quickly typed all kinds of forms of encryptions praying that she will hit the jackpot. Finally, registering all the combinations of hacks to unlock a computer with fifteen seconds to spare she completed the task.

Sera’s hands leaned against the giant table. She sighed hearing her echo spread across the empty arena.

“I did it.” Sera said weakly.

 - 

Hyuna was called down to the office. Her boss had to discuss a few details before finalizing the roles of the new recruits in their section. 

“Hyuna, it is my job to put an input on this, however I need you to decide your next partner.” He stated. 

“You know yourself better than I do. So here are the top three that are qualified to be your partner. The papers inside are their profiles that list their strengths and weaknesses.”The boss handed the folders over to Hyuna.

Hyuna desperately flipped to see if Sera was written on one folder. When coming across her name, her boss explained each person’s talents. She didn’t care for that at all except for her.

“Ryu Sera was the only one who had a perfect score... And from what I remember you both have the same score.” He lifted his tone.

“Then she’s perfect for me.” She grimaced staring at the photo identification.

-

When Kyungri spotted the new recruits she saw a familiar face through the window of her office.

“Congrats Sera!” Kyungri quickly raced to her grabbing her hand and swinging her arm from side to side.

“Thank you. Honestly, I was under so much stress during the last few seconds. But I managed so thank you for those notes.” She smiled touching her arm.

Before Kyungri said anything, their trance was broken when a person cleared their throat. Both of their heads snapped in one direction finding Hyuna standing there with hands behind her back.

“Do you mind if I borrow her?” Hyuna’s voice was gentle. She was stung by her own jealousy. I didn’t know they were that close.

Kyungri nodded her head submissively.

“Catch you later Sera” Kyungri concluded before leaving them alone.

-

Sera followed Hyuna’s footsteps into an empty training room.

“Every day you will train to become physically stronger and smarter of your moves.” Hyuna walked into the middle of the room swiftly doing a half spin to see Sera.

Sera was disappointed taking her out of Kyungri’s conversation. She hoped that she didn’t start talking about her with training. After the months of exhausting drills, Sera deserved a break and begged for a normal conversation. She looked down, but Hyuna tilted her chin up.

“And I’m your partner.” She said before letting go of the younger girl. The controlled smirk began to widen after Sera’s eyes began to expand.

Entirely confused Sera didn’t have time to think. Instead of coming up with a question about work she asked something more personal.

“I never got your name by the way.”

“Moon Hyuna. Rank 1, Level A.” 

Sera’s face was still, but her mind was jumping with thoughts. She’s the best in the sector. She’s paired up with…me?

“Since it is your first day here, why don't we celebrate later tonight? It is a good way to know my partner besides I’m curious about you.” Hyuna tentatively stepped closer to her, checking if her mind is still here.

The girl was drowning in her own thoughts and blindly stared at Hyuna. I’m curious about you. The line made Sera tongue tied, she didn’t know how to express what she felt at that very moment. Feeling staggered on the comment she made, her teeth sunk onto her bottom lip averting her eyes away forming a delighted smile on her face.

“Sure.” Sera said while her face was beaming with a rose color.

-

It has been months since Sera stepped foot outside the corporation. The rule was they couldn’t go outside until the final test was over. All of the students had to focus since this is what they signed up for.

Sera did not have much clothing that stood out. She wore a black off the shoulder shirt with indigo jeans along with her beat up sneakers. Hyuna was wearing simple clothing too, but in Sera’s perspective she was breathtaking. Sera couldn’t decipher all the events that occurred the past few days. Although she was studying for the final exam, her thoughts would go on a loop repeating the small moments they had together. She’s smart, attractive and likeable. She is too good to be true.

When their drinks arrived, Sera was motionless. Hyuna chuckled about the amounts of times she caught her in her own world.

“Can you hold your alcohol?” Hyuna questioned lightly shaking her.

“Y-yes” Sera unconfidently stated. She silently cursed herself for not paying attention. “How long have you been working?”

“I was recruited two years ago. During missions, I worked alone it was exciting until now.” Hyuna played with the straw studying Sera. She noticed that her lips curved into a frown. “Don’t be discouraged I really like you!” Hyuna openly confessed touching her shoulder tracing the pad of her thumb against her skin.

Knowing that Hyuna hasn’t drank a sip of her beverage, it wasn’t a drunk confession. Her body temperature began to heat up.

"That’s why I chose you to be my partner. We have the same scores and desires.” Hyuna was moving closer to her. Her hands made its way through Sera’s hair lacing her hair with her fingers. “Is this awkward?” She gave a soft chuckle.

“Not at all. I actually enjoy your company no matter how nervous you make me.” Sera gingerly admitted.

“Good.” Hyuna whispered. Her eyes danced across her face coming across her lips. She ached to touch them and feel them for herself. Hyuna touches Sera’s jaw once more coaxing her to lean forward.

Even though they met days ago, Sera couldn’t resist her. There is something mesmerizing about Hyuna. She couldn’t pinpoint what it was, but the delectable agent made her fall in love. A shudder sweeps through Sera when Hyuna glided onto hers.