Sixteen

Slowly But Surely
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun had just settled down on the couch when there was a knock on the door, and Baekhyun waltzed over to open it, revealing Soojung. Jongin grinned when he saw the object to his affection and stood up to greet her, but then the anxious look in her eyes made him frown and he hurried to her, worried for her well-being.

“I’m fine,” Soojung assured him before he could ask. Her gaze landed to the groom who was now staring at her in curiosity along with the rest of the men in the room. “I just thought I’d inform you that Joo’s parents are in her room now,” she told Sehun who slowly got up once it dawned onto him.

“You mean…”

“Yeah,” she nodded, giving Jongin a brief look. “Jae-in seemed calmed though.”

“She’s been waiting for this day,” Joonmyeon piped in as he stood with his hands in his pocket. “It’s not like she can hide from her parents during her sister’s wedding anyway.”

“Should I head over?” Sehun wondered, glancing around at his friends before his gaze landed on Soojung. “What should we do?”

“We wait. Jae-in said that it’ll be okay, and we have to trust her.”

Chanyeol and Baekhyun, the last two to have found out the truth about Jae-in sat quietly and merely listened to the conversation. They didn’t know as much as Sehun or Soojung does, but they knew the basic of the story and that was enough for them to keep their mouths shut. Joonmyeon assured Sehun that Joohyun would be fine as well before Soojung left the room, wanting to check onto the Bae family.

Sehun sighed heavily as he watched her leave.

 

 

*

*

*

 

 

Across the hall, there was a tense silence. Joohyun watched anxiously as her parents stared at her sister in shock, unable to move from their spot the moment they stepped through the doors and landed their gaze on their eldest daughter. She caught the wandering gaze her mother had on her face before her eyes widened some more when she saw the small bulge under Jae-in’s dress, yet the elder made no move to step forward or say a word to Jae-in who looked weirdly calmed.

As for their father, Mr Bae clearly looked shocked and Joohyun thought she saw the pain in his eyes before it disappeared, and suddenly he was the man she slightly feared again as he took a step forward and studied her sister.

“You’re here.”

“I am, dad. It’s been a while,” Jae-in said calmly with a smile. “I’m glad to see that you guys have been doing well. I–”

“You’re not supposed to be here,” Mr Bae cut her off harshly, making Joohyun swallow while Jae-in clicked her jaw shut tightly. “I told you never to come back. You have disgraced our family name–”

“I did not come here for you, dad.” Joohyun turned to her sister and fidgeted nervously with her fingers. She’s beginning to feel the tension and she almost let out a whimper at that. She was so nervous that she missed the sight of Soojung disappearing out the door before she could even come in and bit the bottom of her trembling lips. “I came because my sister wanted me here.”

At that, the attention was turned to her. Joohyun felt herself sweating as she saw the anger in her father’s eyes when his gaze landed onto her figure, and no matter how much her inner-self screamed to voice out her thoughts, she found herself tongue-tied and unable to defend herself. She swallowed, eyes watering as her father took a step towards her now.

“You went looking for your sister?” he asked, frowning deeply.

“Honey, you’re scaring–”

“Quiet,” Mr Bae hissed at his wife who immediately stepped back. “You knew better than to do that, Bae Joohyun. I told you so many times that she is not to come anywhere near us and you–”

The doors suddenly opened, surprising the people in the room, and everyone turned in surprise to see Sehun marching into the room. His gaze was hard as he took in the sight of his trembling bride and without as much as a word, he reached for her and took her in his arms.

“Are you alright?” he asked quietly, cupping her face. Joohyun nodded, eyes wide with relief, and Sehun gave her a smile before turning to his bride’s father. “With all due respect, sir, it wasn’t Joohyun who went looking for Jae-in noona. I did.” he revealed, surprising the elder once more.

“You… what?”

“I love Joohyun and her happiness is my priority,” Sehun boldly told the elder as he stood in front of Joohyun. “And how can she be happy when her only sibling was taken away from her? So I took the liberty to find Jae-in noona and convinced her to come home, at least to attend our wedding and reunite the sisters.”

“You have no business to interfere with our problem!” Mr Bae roared, face red with range.

“You’re wrong, sir. In just an hour, Joohyun and I will walk down that aisle and be married. She will be my wife then and it’s my duty to keep my wife happy, even if it means going against you.” Before Mr Bae could open his mouth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter