Shin Dongho (2/2)

We Were Only Strangers

In few minutes, Mia arrived at the park. Dongho didn’t know it yet so she decided to surprise him.

 

“Dongchin oppa-ya!” she exclaimed and punched Dongho’s back with a girl’s strength.

 

Dongho was a little bit surprised. He looked back and he saw Mia giggling. She sat down beside him and stretched her legs in cuteness.

 

Here comes her similar aegyo…

 

“What does Dongchin mean? My name is Dongho,” he complained on how she called him.

 

“I don’t know. When I repeated your name in my head suddenly I had an urge to call you Dongchin,” she explained.

 

“Weird,”

 

Mia took what Dongho said about her as a compliment. She didn’t know why but being ‘weird’ is somehow fun for her.

 

There were an awkward silent for the first time since they met. Mia took a magazine from her bag and started to read it.

 

“Aren’t we meeting for some interesting talk?” Dongho asked and elbowed her.

 

She didn’t look at him but flipping the pages as she smiled at some photos.

 

“Talk then. I’m listening,”

 

Dongho started to get irritated so he just followed her gaze on the magazine. He saw some cute boys; he thought maybe they were idols.

 

“Who are they?” he randomly asked as he pointed at a photo.

 

Mia looked at him with her eyes widened. It seemed like she was going to show her hidden self. Her eyes looked so strong.

 

“You don’t know them?! Yah, they’re the best rookie group. It’s B1A4!” she explained. Dongho swore he could see fire in her eyes.

 

Dongho innocently nodded after he was shocked from Mia’s sudden madness.

 

“Aish, how could unnie like you?” she mumbled. Dongho beamed a glare. “Does unnie like you?”

 

He shrugged.

 

“She just showed me some signals,”

 

“Do you know? Her ideal type is a cute boy full of aegyo,” she said. “I think you’re not her type. You’re not cute at all,”

 

“Yah, she approached me first because I’m cute!” he exclaimed.

 

Come to think, he’s actually really cute. I knew it from the beginning.

 

Dongho started to think about his feelings towards her. He really wanted to look good in front of her. He wanted to make her felt comfortable near him. He thought it was just because she was Kyungmi’s sister, but he thought about what if he fell for her.

 

He was afraid of something. If he confessed to her, he was afraid if he realized that he liked her only because of Kyungmi.

 

“Mia,” he called.

 

She only responded with a glance.

 

“Who’s your favorite in B1A4?” he randomly asked.

 

He patted his face with his hand and thought, where did that question came from? She looked at how weird Dongho’s question was.

 

“Gongchan, why?” she answered.

 

Dongho tried to think something fast. When some ideas came, he continued the conversation.

 

“If someday a guy who really looks like him comes to your life and get closer to you, will you like as if in love with him?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Who will you love the most, Gongchan or that guy?”

 

“Gongchannie!” she answered out loud and smiled.

 

Before even Dongho showed any reaction, Mia’s phone rang. Hearing the ringtone, Dongho thought, maybe that’s B1A4’s song, or even that Gongchan guy’s. She quickly picked it up.

 

“Oppa? Why?” she said to someone on the phone.

 

Oppa?

 

“You’re here?! Where are you?!” she cheerfully yelled to the phone. “Should I go home now?”

 

Now? Don’t! Wait, why am I…

 

“Me? I’m at the park. Oh, ok,” she said.

 

She smiled happily and it seemed that she couldn’t stop herself from smiling. Dongho wondered what made her smiled so much like that. Deep down inside his heart, he also wanted her to smile like that because of him.

 

Mia pressed a button on her cell phone to end the call and put it back on her pocket. Dongho cleared his throat.

 

“Who is it?” he asked.

 

“Let’s see how much aegyo you’ve got!” she changed the topic without hesitating. “Show me!”

 

Dongho sighed on how she changed the topic, but she didn’t seem like doing it on purpose.

 

“You can do it first. I’m tired of you, changing the topics innocently, with a sinless face,” he pretended to look pissed off.

 

“Sorry, hehehe. It’s a habit for me,” she said with a big grin on her face and scratched her head. “But I show my aegyo often! Then, how about we do it in the same time?”

 

“Won’t we look weird? Suddenly doing aegyo at the same time, on public,” he said and played with his cell phone.

 

Mia crossed her arms and pouted. She sighed. Without her noticing, she was showing off her aegyo.

 

“You made it sounds like you are a celebrity or something,” she hissed.

 

Dongho ignored her and continued playing with his cell phone, trying to find something interesting while his mind was off to somewhere. He tapped his touch-screen phone randomly. An application was opened, it was camera.

 

Camera?

 

A slight happy curve was formed with his lips. He snapped a finger. This is another way to get close to her.

 

 “I got it,” he blurted.

 

Mia who was not looking turned around to see what he had got.

 

“What is i—“

 

Dongho wrapped an arm around her neck and pulled her closer. They were so close, their chubby cheeks met. Dongho raised his phone in his hand in front of their face.

 

“Show your aegyo!” he said.

 

Mia couldn’t do anything but put a shocked face with wide eyes due to Dongho’s sudden action—pulling them so close—that she had never expected to happen. She didn’t have time to pose cutely. She was busy registering the thing that just happened to her mind. Even though she dated a number of boys, she still felt this way because they weren’t even dating.

 

Dongho pressed a button. Their priceless faces were captured in a second. Dongho let out a satisfied smile and looked at his phone. He checked how he looked and the he saw Mia’s blank shocked face.

 

“Hahaha! What’s with this fac—“

 

“Mia-yah!” someone yelled, cutting Dongho’s sentence.

 

He ran towards her. Mia stiffly bowed still with the face she had earlier. The only difference was she became a little red.

 

“Oh, annyeonghaseyo,” Dongho bowed to him.

 

He gave him a little boy in reply. Dongho felt like he knew him. His face really similar to someone he knew but unfortunately he forgot.

 

“Your boyfriend?” Dongho leaned closer to her and whispered.

 

“Yah!” she exclaimed and hit him lightly around his shoulder.

 

The other boy leaned closer to Mia and cupped the space between his mouth and her ear. In short, he imitated Dongho.

 

“So, your boyfriend?” he asked and smirked.

 

Mia broke the silence and yelled some gibberish words. The boys were surprised and their eyes widened.

 

“Oppa! Clear the things up! None of you are my boyfriend, got it,” she yelled.

 

The boys chuckled at Mia.

 

“Hello. I’m Gikwang, Mia’s brother,” he introduced himself and bowed again. “Oh, you’re Dongho? We go to the same school! I’m Kyungmi’s twin! I think you two are friend,”

 

Her twin! How could I forget this thing?!

 

Mia looked at Dongho’s face and elbowed him because he stayed still.  Dongho got surprised by it. She signaled him to say something

.

“Ah, noona’s twin? No wonder I think you’re similar to someone I know, so it was noona,” he said and chuckled, letting them to see his eye smile—if he had any—.

 

“Similar to someone? I thought you’d know it before since you two looked so close. Kyungmi did say she has a twin brother, right?” he asked.

 

“Yeah, she… did,” he said.

 

“Oppa, Dongchin oppa actually likes her so he won’t bother thinking anyone but unnie,” Mia suddenly revealed.

 

Dongho suddenly put his hands on Mia’s mouth and cupped them. He grinned awkwardly to Gikwang. Mia bit his finger so he let go of her.

 

Gikwang could only chuckle. It was funny to see them with their childish self.

 

“Well, I should go home now. I still have things to do. I’ll go to Busan tomorrow,” Gikwang said as he walked away and ruffled Mia’s hair. “I think you two still want some private time, haha,”

 

He tapped Dongho’s shoulder and leaned closer.

 

“Be a good boyfriend. Forget Kyungmi, Mia is in front of you,” he whispered.

 

Dongho was schocked. Mia could see it from his wide eyes but she didn’t know why. She wondered what Gikwang just whispered to him. She noticed some changes on his face.

 

“Oh, what did oppa just say? Is it something to do with unnie?” Mia curiously asked Dongho.

 

“Nothing! It’s not your business,”

 

“It must be really about unnie,” she guessed while tapping her finger to her chin.

 

It’s actually about you, pabo yah.

 

“Oh, about the photo—the one that we took—earlier, I won’t delete it because I look good,” he said and grinned. Mia pinched his hand several times. “Aw, it hurts. Okay, why don’t we take another one?”

 

Mia’s face brightened as she nodded cheerfully.

 

Her eyes is wide and cute, I like it. I think I really like her. She really looks like noo—aish, not noona please.

 

“Arasseo,” he said while taking his cell phone and raised it until it reached their eye level. “Come on, lean closer!”

 

Mia thought about what just happened earlier. She swept away the thought and swung her hands in front of her face repeatedly.

 

Dongho stared at her weirdly. Mia noticed it so she smiled awkwardly and leaned in. She touched her cheek with his. They posed quickly.

 

“3, 2, 1!” he said and pressed the button.

 

He looked at the screen. Mia was pouting and put two peace signs beside her cheeks while Dongho made a bubbly cheek and pretended to punch his own cheek.

 

“It turns out good! How about another one?” she offered with a sparkly puppy eyes.

 

Too bad Dongho wasn’t looking at her. He was busy, maybe, replying some text messages. If he saw how Mia beamed those cuteness, maybe he would be and let her to take pictures until she feels satisfied.

 

“You know what time it is?” he asked purposely to her.

 

“Uh, yeah. It’s getting late. You should go home. Your house is far, right?” Mia said after she looked at the time on her cell phone.

 

But somehow I don’t want us to apart, they both thought the same thing.

 

“Next week? Are you free next week? I can go to your house so we can spend more time together,” Dongho offered.

 

Mia brightened at his offer. Her eyes widened and became sparkly.

 

“Really? Can you? I-is it okay?” she asked in unbelief.

 

Here it comes again.

 

“Maybe for today it’s too short for you because you missed me badly,” he joked because Mia seemed so happy that he offered.

 

Mia pursed her lips and punched him on the chest. No, not lightly. He chuckled even though the pain from her punch started to hurt him. But because she was little angry like this, Dongho felt nothing but happy. He thought it was cute.

 

Cute. Now I’m not going to lie to myself—as if I have ever—about her. She’s just too cute.

 

“I know it’s you who missed me. Okay, no one missed another, satisfied?” she crossed her arms on her chest.

 

“To be honest, I’m more satisfied if you really missed me,” Dongho joked hoping for a cute reaction from Mia.

 

“Yah, yah, yah! Anyway, I’m going. See you next week,” she said with a red face.

 

Dongho laughed and ruffled her hair playfully. Mia left as Dongho waved at her. She actually replied his wave, somehow.

 

“Bye,” Mia mumbled her words alone in disappointment. She just felt like saying it so she did not hoping any reply from Dongho because she said it slowly.

 

Once she got to the corner of the park, she looked behind to see if Dongho was still there. He was. He stayed still with his pose—his hands on his waist—smiling and looking at Mia.

 

“Call me!” he yelled from the far.

 

He raised his pinkie and thumb to the air, wave them, and put them near his ear signaling her to call him.

 

 

***

 

 

Mia smiled crazily ignoring her food in front of her. She looked at her cell phone. As her bestfriend, Anja knew that something was going on between Mia and someone because she kept staring at the cell phone’s scree.

 

Really? How could a pretty girl like you gets low scores? .___.

 

Anja felt like she was the only one who was on her mind. Sungyeol—who was sitting beside her—was focused at eating while Mia did nothing but stared at her cell phone, smiling, and maybe replied some text messages.

 

“Yah, eat. It’s been fifteen minutes and you haven’t touched your food at all,” Anja nagged because she felt annoyed.

 

“I don’t touch my food. I use spoon,” she threw a joke, or at least it was supposed to be like that.

 

Mia put her cell phone down near the food, but still, she kept an eye to it. She started to eat with her eyes looking at the cell phone every three seconds.

 

Her phone vibrated, causing some noise because it was placed on the table. Mia was about to take it, unfortunately Anja took it and saw what was inside.

 

“Who are you texting with? It must be a boy,” she hissed as she opened the text message. Her eyes widened. “Dongho? So it’s really a boy. I will read the message, okay. Yeah, right. How could a pretty girl like you doesn’t have boyfriend? How about I introduce you to someone this weekend?

 

“Yah!” Mia yelled at her.

 

She snatched her cell phone from her friend and replied the text.

 

“I think I’ve heard the name ‘Dongho’,” Anja started to dig in her memories. “Oh, Ricky. He brought me when he met the maknae of all groups,”

 

“You know him?” Mia asked.

 

Anja nodded. She looked at Sungyeol who was still into his eating. She elbowed him.

“Hey, kingka. Do you know a group which has a person named ‘Dongho’ as its maknae? I think it was ‘Kiss’... or ‘Something-Kiss’, like that,”

Sungyeol stopped his eating and beamed a look to his girlfriend. Suddenly he puckered his lips.

“Did you ask for a kiss?” he jokingly asked.

“Uh, no,”

 

***

 

“Yah, Dongchin, where are you exactly?” Mia talked to the phone while waiting in front of her house with barefoot.

“Don’t yell at me. I told you I’m going to be late,”

“But, but,”

“Ah, there! I see you,” he said through the phone. Somehow Mia could hear his voice somewhere. “Mia-yah!”

Mia looked for the source of his voice. She found someone familiar waving at her, it was Dongho. He ran to her.

“Where is he?” she asked him with her hand crossed.

“Let us exchange greeting first. Hello,” he said and gave a small grin.

“Hello. Now, where is he?” she coldly ask.

Dongho narrowed his eyes mouthing ‘who’.

“You said you wanted to introduce me someone who is worth to be my boyfriend, right?”

Dongho was stunned. He felt guilty that she actually believed that. Moreover, she seemed so excited about today. He was guessing that the real reason was because he said he was going to introduce someone to her.

“Um, he is... late,” he lied. It was a big lie.

Mia’s face fell. She let out a sigh and put her hands down.

“Alright, let’s just go in,” she said and went inside the house.

Dongho followed her steps into the house. When he stepped inside the house, he smelled the scent. Somehow he liked how every house had a different scene. He looked around the house.

Mia went in to her room but Dongho stopped in front.

“Do I go inside?” he asked innocently because it just felt weird for him to enter a girl’s room.

Mia smiled a bit and nodded so Dongho stepped in. She sat on the bed, so did he. Mia snatched a book and shoved it to Dongho.

“Sorry, I feel bad for you. This is unnie’s diary. I read it and I just noticed that unnie actually liked you from the very first,” she confessed with a frown.

“That’s okay, I knew it before. I have read that book before you,” he grinned. “I think I have some courage to move on now,”

To you, I guess.

Mia widened her eyes.

“What? Really? Don’t you feel... somewhat sorry to unnie? I guess you don’t deserve unnie. I will give her to someone loyal,” she said.

He moved closer to her until their arms were almost touching.

“I feel sorry if noona actually wants me to forget her but I kept crying all day because of her death. If I’m in noona’s position, I’d hope that people would still remember me but not that much. I’d just hope they remember what I have ever did,”

“That is... right,” she said and sighed. “You said you have some courage to move on, didn’t you? I have a lot of friends. Do you want me to introduce you to my fr—“

In a sudden, really sudden, Dongho crashed his lips against hers. Unfortunately, he missed a few centimeters. He didn’t hit the lips, but it was still a kiss.

He pulled off. Mia was shocked with her eyes widened and her face became really red.

“I lied,” he suddenly stated.

“Y-yah! My first kiss,” she madly yelled at him. Since there were no one home except them, she freely yelled. “L-lied, what?”

“Actually it was half a lie about the introducing you to someone,” he confessed. He thought of something better to say. “Well, it wasn’t totally a lie,”

“W-what are you trying to say?”

“I didn’t bring someone, but I think I know someone who can be your boyfriend,” he smiled.

“Then who? And why did you... kiss... me?” she said nervously.

“Me. Because I like you,” he finally confessed. “So, do you think I can be your boyfriend?”

Mia was really confused. Her sister’s friend, no, crush, confessed to her while he actually liked her sister.

“M-maybe,” she said.

Dongho smiled happily. He had never been this happy before. A pair of arms wrapped her neck loosely. He leaned closer to give her a sign that it was the beginning of their relationship but a hand blocked his way.

“You already did it!” she exclaimed.

Dongho pouted with full cuteness in it. That really... turns me on.

“That was for the confession, this one is for the si—“

A quick little peck landed on his cheek cutting his sentence. She quickly escaped from his arms and went outside the room while Dongho was still registering the things that just happened. He never thought that she was the one who would take the lead.

Dongho got up and tried to catch her. When she got into a corner, he used the opputurnity to catch her. He wrapped her waist by his arms from behind so she couldn’t escape. In another word, back hug.

“Let me do it,” he begged.

“No,”

“Once, please,” he threw those irresistible eyes.

“Ah, alright. Quickly,”

Dongho leaned closer and pressed his lips against her. In a second, he pulled back.

“Happy?” she asked with a red face.

“Yes,”