Lee Sungyeol

We Were Only Strangers

"Yah, yah. Anja! Wake up, hurry," a voice said as a hand pulled my hair.

 

I opened my eyes to see who it was. My sight was still blur but I could know easily that it was Ricky, my brother. My head was too heavy so I closed my eyes again.

 

"Five minutes," I said lazily and showed all of my fingers on my hand. I cherished my energy and voice so I had to save them so much.

 

"Yah, aren't you going to school? My school starts fifteen minutes earlier than yours. Besides, today I heard there will be at least three stalkers!" he said.

 

Do I care? And yes, I went to different schools with him. He went to TOP High while I went to Woolim High.

 

I lazily got up and walked to the bathroom as I combed my hair with my hand. I took a bath then I got prepared. Since Ricky was all prepared, I asked my mom to put some extra bread to my bag while I got myself prepared.

 

"We're leaving," we—me and Ricky—said when we stepped outside the house.

 

While we walked to the bus stop, he was looking around if there were some stalkers or not. Unfortunately, there were two. He linked his arms with mine.

 

"When will I stop being your fake girlfriend?" I asked him with a glare.

 

Yes, everyone in his school knew me as his girlfriend who was staying in his house. Embarrassing, right? Blame him for having such a cute face for a boy. Maybe if I wasn't his sister I would be happy like his fan-girls.

 

"Be quiet or they will find out," he hissed at me.

 

Once we got to the bus stop, we sat there and waited. Ricky's bus came first so we separated because we were going to the different ways. I sat there awkwardly.

 

I saw a boy. I knew he went to my school because of the uniform. He stood up in front of me. Why didn't he sit down instead of wasting the his energy to stand up and waited for the bus?

 

As if he knew what was on my mind he turned around and sat beside me. Not too close. He left some space between us. Since I saw his face, I knew who he was. He was the innocent kingka of my school. I didn't know if he was really as innocent as his cute face or not.

 

Why did I meet him here only today? I have lived here for four years. I knew he wasn't a new student.

 

"Excuse me, do you know when will the bus come?" he asked.

 

I wasn't sure who did he ask, but when I turned to see, he was looking at me. I gasped a little.

 

"Um, I'm not sure, but," I nervously looked at my cellphone to see the time. "I think it will come in a short time,"

 

He smiled me. I smiled back. Not like the Kingkas in some stories I read, he was much better and nicer than I thought.

 

Thanks. I just moved here yesterday so I know nothing,” he said with his sweet smile still on his face. “You go to Woolim High, right?”

 

I nodded.

 

The bus came so I stood up. I gave him a signal that it was the bus. He stood up and followed me. I picked an empty seat near the window. Surprisingly, he chose the seat beside me. I just hoped there wouldn't be some awkwardness, but unfortunately there was.

 

Do you know me?” he broke the awkward silence.

 

So he did know he was one of the kingkas. Of course he did. He was in a group of kingkas named Infinite. Somehow I hoped Infinite would keep his innocence because nowadays it was kind of hard to find innocent boys.

 

Err, yes. Kim Sungyeol, right?” I asked to make sure.

 

He chuckled, it was cute, but why did he do it?

 

No. It's Lee, Lee Sungyeol,” he corrected me.

 

I was so embarrassed. He was the kingka and I, as a student of Woolim High, was supposed to know his name. My heart skipped a beat and my face turned hot, but I thought it didn't turn red because it never did.

 

Don't turn red. It was just a simple thing. It wasn't like you really have to know me. At least you're wrong only for the surname,” he teased me playfully.

 

Pabo! I wasn't,” I said and punch him on the arm lightly.

 

I gasped. Did I just call him 'pabo'? Moreover, did I just hit him playfully as if we were childhood friends or something? So, my habit did apply to strangers. Well, he wasn't a stranger at all.

 

Sorry! I didn't mean to. It was my habit. I usually do that to my friend,” I apologized.

 

He made an 'o' with his mouth cutely and smirked at me.

 

So you're asking me to be your friend, eh? You should have said that earlier! I was... uh, never mind,” he said.

 

What?

 

Hm? “I was...” what?” I asked him.

 

No, I said never mind. So we're friends now, right? God, I'm so nervous. I've never had a girl friend in my life,” he said and acted as if he was nervous.

 

Girlfriend?

 

Really?” I asked him and pretended to be innocent.

 

He gasped and blushed. I thought he realized what did he say earlier.

 

N-no! I mean, a friend who is girl. It's not.. err. Anyway, we're friend now, okay!” he said flustered.

 

He scratched his head in confusion. I chuckled at his action. How could he be cute, innocent, playful, cool, handsome, and all things at the same time?

 

You're funny,” I said as I looked out the window and chuckled.

 

 

***

 

It was lunch time. I always ate lunch with my friend, Mia. We went to look for an empty table and sat there. I waited as Mia queued for the food. I didn't queue because I always brought my own lunchbox.

 

A boy approached me and sat beside me. It was Lee Sungyeol. I just wanted to make sure I remembered his name.

 

I give a look at him. I narrowed my eyes and beamed a glare. Sungyeol raised an eyebrow at my glare.

 

What's with that look?” he asked me.

 

Why are you here?” I threw a question at him with that look still on my face.

 

To eat with my friend obviously,” he answered.

 

I felt like I was blushing. I didn't know, maybe.

 

F-friend? Then, what is Infinite to you?” I stuttered.

 

He put his index finger on his chin and acted as if he was thinking. He pursed his lips. He looked really cute. Maybe, maybe, I fell for him a little.

 

Best friends!” he said all of sudden.

 

I was kind of disappointed. I thought he would put me on the same level as Infinite or even higher. I expected too much, we just knew each other today. Why did I even... maybe it was true. I fell for him.

 

Oh,”

 

The awkwardness made its appearance again this time. He looked around and hummed some songs while I played with my lunchbox. I would feel bad if I ate first without Mia. What took her so long?

 

Oh, yah. I still don't know your name!” he blurted.

 

Oh, he was right. How come we claimed ourselves as friends earlier? No, actually it was only him who claimed it.

 

What a bad friend. I'm Anja,” I said as I held out my hand asking for a handshake and smirked.

 

He shook my hand and smirked.

 

Sungyeol. Lee Sungyeol,” he smirked and emphasized on the 'Lee'. I turned red because of this morning's embarrassment. “So, from now on I'm officially your—“

 

Your boyfriend?! Anja, you didn't tell me you—“ Mia cut off his sentence.

 

I gasped at her.

 

No! He's my friend, from now on,” I explained. I faced Sungyeol and gave him a look. “Yah, be friend with Mia too!”

 

He gave me a look too then he looked at Mia with a grin on his face.

 

Lee Sungyeol,” he said.

 

Mia looked at both of us. She looked at me, then she looked at Sungyeol, and she repeated it again.

 

Um, Mia,” she finally spoke after a moment.

 

Yah, aren't you going to eat? Where's the food?” I asked him as I opened my lunchbox and started to eat.

 

I don't bring it today,” he replied.

 

Why don't you queue for the food?” Mia asked him while chewing her food.

 

I'm allergic to the food they're serving today,”

 

Liar,” I said. I didn't know why but treating him this way was fun even though we were friends just now.

 

It's the truth!” he exclaimed.

 

Then no lunch for y— oh, I remember! I have some bread. I was supposed to eat them as my breakfast but then I forgot to, do you want?” I asked him with somehow sparkling eyes.

 

He nodded cutely so I took the bread and gave it to him. Well, the 'cutely' actually didn't affect, it was just for the description's sake. I was being honest.

 

He started to open the wrapping and put the bread in his mouth. He bit it and chewed, chewed, chewed. I think I really fell for him even though we only met today. Well, I had seen him often before.

 

Anja-ya, Anja! What are you doing? Eat!” Mia hissed at me.

 

That was right. I just looked at him all these time. I bet I looked so silly and maybe to some evil fan-girls of him I might looked like a ert.

 

I continued on eating my food.

 

Oh, L? What are you doing?” Sungyeol asked a boy.

 

It was L from Infinite. He was such a good looking boy, but why did I think Sungyeol is better? I guess this was what they called the blindness of love, love is blind, or something like that. I heard that L had just got himself a girlfriend a few days ago and she didn't go to this school. I wondered if it was just his sister acting as his girlfriend like what I did with Ricky.

 

Someone would like to meet you,” he said smirking.

 

Sungyeol put an innocent look on his face with the bread still in his mouth and blinked. He stared at me. I admitted it, he was so cute.

 

But I'm eating with my friends,” he said and made the butterflies in my stomach danced along my heartbeat, I didn't know why I was really happy because of this simple thing.

 

Just five minutes,” he said and showed him his five fingers. That reminded me when Ricky woke me up. L looked at me and smiled. “I'm borrowing him for a while, okay.”.

 

I nodded and smiled so did Mia. After that, L dragged Sungyeol out to somewhere I didn't know.

 

Mia quickly leaned closer to me and stared me with a face. I loved looking at cute faces like my Ricky's or Sungyeol's, but I didn't understand why did I feel like slapping her on her face because of the cuteness that she threw at me.

 

Yah, you like him, don't you?” she asked and blinked a few times.

 

I thought it was so easy to tell from my face. I was new at this things so it might was.

 

What? I just met him today. Okay, I've seen him before—of course! He goes to this school—but that doesn't mea—“

 

Eeeh, don't lie. It's pretty easy to tell, moreover, I'm your best friend,” she said as she raised her eyebrows.

 

I froze and stayed in place. Okay, I couldn't lie to my best friend.

 

Okay, okay. Yes I do, so what?”

 

Out of sudden, she grabbed my wrist and walked fast. I didn't know where did she take me to but I just followed her. When we reached a quiet place, she stopped so I did the same. We hid behind a wall.

 

I know you're curious so I take you here,” she said. “Don't you want to know what's going on?”

 

Wha— I wasn't curious and I think it's not my business anyway,”

 

Hmm, so? What if when I was queuing I saw L talked with a girl? I saw him did a 'fighting' to her. Just in case,” Mia smirked at me and put her fist.

 

Really? Then it's my business now,”

 

I quickly made a move and peeked him. I made sure I missed nothing.

 

I could see Sungyeol and a girl. That girl gave him something, a box? After that she bowed to him. Sungyeol smiled and bowed a little then they left. Sungyeol was walking this way. He was walking this way.

 

He is walking this way!” I blurted out.

 

Mia gasped but she didn't anything so I grabbed her hand and ran back to the place where we had our lunch. We panted because we ran here quickly. A minute later he went back with the small white box in his hand.

 

Hi, I'm back. Aren't you happy?” he said after he sat beside me again like what he did this morning and earlier.

 

Where were you?” Mia asked.

 

Somewhere,” he said and played with the box.

 

Did a girl confess to you?” I asked.

 

Oh, I made a wrong action, didn't I? I could tell it from Mia who beamed me a glare soon as she heard my question.

 

Oh?” he looked like he was trying to look innocent. “Ah, yes. Why? Jealous already?”

 

I blushed and looked away forgetting my food. I didn't feel like eating anymore so I closed the lunchbox.

 

Forget it,” I said.

 

 

***

 

It was Sunday. A great day to sleep and wake up in the afternoon. It actually was, before Ricky woke me up on 9 o'clock saying that he had an activity to do with his friends. My school and Ricky's had something in common. The popular kids were in a group, mine was Infinite while Ricky's was Teen Top.

 

Speaking of Infinite, yesterday me and Sungyeol actually went home together. Surprisingly, I asked him to. It was not like that, he looked really confused an new at going home alone by bus or something like that. His face was funny when we arrived and Ricky quickly wrapped his arm around my neck and started to walk. I looked back and waved at him before we actually separated.

 

We walked to the bus stop together as always. Ricky was wearing a thick jacket, scarf, sunglasses, and a cap. He really did disguise himself well while I only wore some casual clothes.

 

Where are we going?” I asked curiously.

 

My school,” he said as he chewed the gum in his mouth. It was unfair that he didn't give me any.

 

For what?”

 

Some kind of dance battle. There will be so many girls so I bring you,” he answered. “Oh, yeah. Our rival is from your school,”

 

My school?

 

Infinite?” I asked.

 

Ricky nodded. If their rival was infinite, then would Sungyeol be there? I hoped so.

 

We reached the bus stop and once the bus came we got in the bus and picked the seats at the back. I chose the one near the window and Ricky sat beside me. I looked out the window.

 

Anja, I was wondering about this things last night. Our relationship, I mean our fake relationship, for how much time you'll be able to do it?” Ricky asked.

 

It was rare for him to ask this kind of question since it sounded like he cared. Ricky wasn't a caring person according to my experience living with him for years.

 

Until you get yourself a real girlfriend, maybe?”

 

He put his hands in his jacket's pockets and sighed.

 

Do you have a boyfriend?” he suddenly asked and it made me cough.

 

What? No, I d—“

 

A boy appeared in front of me with his casual clothes—I mean not with his school uniform like what I had been seeing every week days—. Sungyeol. Nice timing, friend.

 

Sungyeol?”

 

Your boyfriend?” Ricky whispered in my ear.

 

I shook my head and hit him. I mouthed 'yah' to him silently.

 

Oh, aren't you the visual maknae in Teen Top?” Sungyeol asked. So he did know Teen Top.

 

You're from Infinite?” Ricky asked.

 

Sungyeol nodded and sat beside Ricky.

 

That's it. Be friends and wake me up if we're there,” I said and rested my head on the window.

 

Ricky pulled me. I once again mouthed 'yah' to him, but this time my voice came out a little. He glared at me and glanced at a girl wearing some suspicious clothes. I understood, she was a stalker.

 

By the way, what's your relationship?” Sungyeol suddenly asked.

 

It was definitely not a good time to talk about that. I could see that stalker-girl was leaning closer to hear us more clearly.

 

I am her b—“ he said but I cut off.

 

I put my hands on his mouth playfully. He struggled with some gibberish mumblings so I let go of him. I grinned at him.

 

Don't expose our relationship, told you,” I said as if we were really dating.

 

I didn't want Sungyeol to know about our fake dating things. What kind of girl was I if I let Ricky say that we were dating?

 

 

***

 

Hey, friend,” Sungyeol came and put his arm around me then we walked together.

 

It has been three weeks since I first talked and actually befriended him. The first two weeks were normal but the rest was awful. Girls started to beam those laser glares to me. It seemed like whatever I did was wrong. If I got too close, they would be mad. If I avoid him, they would be like 'you're playing hard to get' or 'you're wasting his time'.

 

I sadly removed his arm from my neck but he did it again. I gave him a look.

 

Yah, take care of your fan-girls first before you get close to me. These people give me glares everyday and it's creepy,” I complained.

 

He stopped walking so I did the same. He looked around.

 

Don't glare at her, okay? It is me who wants to be her friend!” he spoke loudly to the crowd.

 

I mouthed some words I didn't even know—I meant I unconsciously said it—and hit him on the arms. Whisperings could be heard everywhere. I grabbed his wrist and dragged him to a quiet place's corner.

 

What are you think you're doing?” I hissed with a tone.

 

He scratched his head and looked away with his another hand rubbing his bag. I noticed him becoming a little red out of sudden. I felt like turning red too.

 

D-don't turn red! I was just trying to protect the girl I like,” he said rubbing the back of his neck and started to cool himself down because I bet he was feeling hot.

 

What did he say? The girl he liked? The girl he liked.

 

Y-y-yah. What does that mean?”

 

I saw his feet was shaking and it would move and run anytime he wanted.

 

I like someone. I like someone who is dating Teen Top's visual maknae!” he confessed and ran away.

 

Who dated Teen Top's visual maknae? Who dated Ricky? That didn't make sense because he didn't have any and he was in a fake relationship with... me? Did he mean me?

 

I froze in place for a second blaming my little slow brain. I ran to catch him but the bell rang already and the teacher yelled at me to stop running and enter the class. Sungyeol was my senior so he went upstairs—his class—.

 

 

 

***

 

 

So basically I couldn't think straight all until the lunch time came. Mia noticed me and she asked if anything bad happened to me. I explained to her and she said it was great. Yes, it was for me too, but I hoped he wouldn't avoid me like this.

 

I sat on my usual table with Mia. Sungyeol didn't appear like he did usually. He was sitting with his Infinite friends. I still could see him but I feel empty. I glanced at Infinite's usual table and Sungyeol was there. Please, let me look at his face for five seconds because I didn't get the chance to since— ah! He was looking this way. We both looked away.

 

You should go and talk to him. If this continues, you will never be his girlfr—“

 

I stood up out of sudden and it made Mia stopped her sentence. I gathered all of my courage so I could talk to him. When I was near Infinite's table, I took a deep breathe.

 

Sungyeol,” I called and hoping him to—at least—respond.

 

Unfortunately there was no respond and he kept eating his food.

 

Sungyeol-ah,” I said one more time.

 

No respond at all and it surely drove me crazy. He annoyed me. It was easy to tell that he was just pretending.

 

Sungyeol you pabo! Look at me!” I yelled out loud.

 

I thought my yelling was loud enough, but it was too loud so all Infinite's members looked at me. They glanced at Sungyeol. I tried to act like I didn't care and grabbed his hand. I pulled him to my class since everyone was having their lunch break so it was empty.

 

W-what is your business?” he asked. His arms were shaking.

 

Ricky,” I said.

 

I-it's your boyfriend so it's your business and not mine,”

 

I took a deep breathe again because I hated it when people said that I was Ricky's girlfriend when I was totally not even though it was Sungyeol who said it.

 

I am not Ricky's girlfriend,” I stated and stressed each word.

 

Sungyeol's eyes widened.

 

Then what are you to him?” he asked nervously.

 

I am his sister who acts as his girlfriend because you know that he's got that cute boy face and some stalkers,” I explained.

 

His eyes widened and a little smile crept on his face but he looked like he was trying to not smile. He cleared his throat and kept his cool image.

 

So, you are not someone's girlfriend?” he asked.

 

What will you do if I'm not someone's girlfriend?” I asked in curiosity.

 

Maybe, this,”

 

I didn't understand what was he trying to say but then he suddenly he pressed his lips with my left cheek. My eyes widened and my face felt hotter. He smiled.

 

Wha—“

 

Would you be my girlfriend?” he asked and smiled but he couldn't take it so he ended up laughing.

 

Yes,” I answered.

 

I need a prove that you really like me,” he said.

 

Again, I didn't understand, but he quickly pointed at his cheek. I gave him a little peck as the symbol of the start of our relationship.

 

 

***