FOUR

My Song's Melody

 

 

“There are questions only you could answer, only you who understands. No matter what others tell you, it’s still all about your own feelings and happiness. It would be always your choice. Not anyone. Yours.”

 

“Hyung, what are you doing here?”

 

“Oh. Namjoon.”

 

“Yeah, obviously. So what are you doing here?” He asked, offering me a snack.

 

“Oh thanks, I was really hungry.” He said as he grabbed and opened it, stuffing his mouth. They were at the gate; the students were going home since the classes are already done. He was just waiting for Taehyung, who was still talking with some teacher.

 

“I was just waiting for someone.”

 

“Tch. So you’re in a relationship, too? Well, it’s okay as long as you’re not gonna do cringe-worthy things like what Yoongi-hyung and Hoseok doing.” Namjoon rolled his eyes.

 

He laughed. “You’ll be like that when you’re in love. And I think it’s gonna happen soon.” Jin teased. “Come on, tell your hyung.”

 

“W-What—I don’t have anything to tell you!”

 

“So you dare keep a secret on me?”

 

“Hyuuuuuuuuuuuung, why are you like this?”

 

Jin laughed and punches Namjoon’s arm lightly. “So… How’s it going with Jimin?”

 

“HYUNG! I HATE YOU! YOU ALREADY KNOW HE LIKES JUNGKOOK!” Namjoon complained almost like a kid, pouting and his eyes turn a little sad.

 

Jin tapped his shoulders. “So are you going to give up just like that? They aren’t even dating yet. Did you already ask what Jimin really feels for you or what he feels for Jungkook? You’ll assume on your own?”

 

Namjoon’s eyes shifted from the ground to him. There was hope rising and he smiled a little. “YAH, STOP TALKING ABOUT ME. I’ll try to… do things about that.”

 

Jin grins. “That’s my best friend.”

 

Namjoon tilted his head. “And you see hyung, I just felt you’re being different these past days. Is something bothering you? Maybe I could help a little.”

 

Jin and Namjoon had been friends for as long as he knows. They had done a lot of things together and he knows Namjoon could somewhat make things clear for him. Yeah maybe he needs a little help. “I’ll just… ask one thing.”

 

“Yeah, okay. I’m listening.”

 

“How do you even know you’re already in love?”

 

Namjoon looked at him as if he had said something ridiculous. “What? You’re in a relationship, right? Don’t tell me you—Aigoo, hyung. You’re an idiot.”

 

Jin chuckles and looked away. “Yeah, I know. But you see, this time, I want to know what my real feelings are. So I could choose a path where to go. Whether I’ll stay inside that relationship with a whole me or I’ll let go than give half-hearted feelings.”

 

Namjoon sighs. “Hyung… I don’t know if I make sense but… we all have these missing part. We can’t be that complete. And that’s where that person takes the role. He should be the one filling those holes, filling the gaps. Together, you became one.”

 

Namjoon continued. “But… I want to ask. Don’t you want him all for yourself? Do you have this need to cherish and take care of him? Or wanting him to smile more even if it means you’re hurting? Or stopping yourself doing the things you wanted to do just because they didn’t want you to do those things?”

 

Jin let out a frustrated sigh. “Wasn’t it bad to feel that way? I want to lock him away from the world and keep him for myself, wasn’t it just possessiveness? What if this isn’t love? What if I was just mistaking this— “

 

“Hyung, let go of your doubts and listen to your heart. It’s your feelings. You know it better than I do. But if you’re asking me, you’ve already had your answer a long time ago before you could even realize it.” Namjoon gave him a reassuring smile.

 

It was a gamble. The time he asked Taehyung, he raised the stakes. He risked his feelings. He was willing to risk anything when it comes to him. And now, maybe… he was somewhat winning the game. “Wait what do you mean ‘him’— “

 

Namjoon sticks his tongue out. “Hyung, I could see the way you look at Taehyung. Maybe you’re the only one who doesn’t realize your own feelings yet. But if you could see yourself, you’d know.”

 

“SEOKJIN HYUUUUNG! NAMJOON HYUUUNG!”

 

They both looked at Taehyung, who was waving at them. The time stopped again, and the world seems a little brighter. Jin waved back. “Thank you, Namjoon.” He mumbled without looking at him.

 

Namjoon grinned and waved at Taehyung, too. “You’re welcome, hyung. It seems you’ve already completed your own song.”

 

“Yeah… I do.”