Pardon His Idiocy

Always And In All Ways (ON HOLD)

     Business economics class. Just the sound of it already gives me chills down my spine. I hate my course. I don't even know why I'm still here.

     Oh, I know why. Because of my mother who still believes in my alcoholic father that he will soon change. That he will soon go back to his old self, the great Son Dong Woo, the business giant in Seoul. At least he used to be, before he got himself involved in gambling. He gambled everything we ever owned. Everything including our lives. When he hit the rock bottom, we had nothing but each other. We were broke to our bones. But somehow, he managed to find money to spend on alcohol. Former gambler, now an alcoholic. Great life we have.

     Per usual, I was one of the early birds in class. But when it was only five minutes until class starts, students slowly filled the vacant seats.

     JB entered two minutes before class. He took a seat beside me. "I don't know why you always choose seats at the back. Why do you make it harder than it already is? Can you even hear the teacher from here?" he whined.

     I just ignored him and continued staring blankly at the white board, with my chin rested on my intertwined fingers, my elbows leaning on the table.

     My mind was completely peaceful until something caught my attention through my peripherals. Jeon Jung Kook. My crush who has mistaken me for a ert.

     "Ooh. This is interesting." I heard JB muse.

     "Shut up."

     Why do we have to end up in the same class? I hope we get to be classmates in just one subject. Yes, I'd love to stare at him closer like this but now that he thinks that I'm a ert, I don't want to be enclosed by the same four walls as he is. I could only hope that he sits in front.

     And he did. Yes! Good grief!

     "Oh, that's sad." JB commented.

     "No, that's perfect." I corrected.

     "Oh, right. He thinks you're a byuntae." He then laughed quietly in his seat.

     I smacked the back of his head as hard as I could without feeling remorse. At that same time, the teacher, Ms. Kim, the oldest member of the faculty and certainly is the most feared, entered the room. Perfect timing. JB won't be able to take his revenge.

     "Ow!" he cried in pain but as quiet as he could, or else Ms. Kim will call him out. You don't want to be called out by Ms. Kim, ever. "This is why you can't get yourself a boyfriend. You're violent!" he half whispered, half screamed.

     "Oh, yeah, Mr. NGSB?" I challenged.

     "What's wrong with not having a girlfriend since birth? It only means I have dreams to accomplish and I don't want any distractions. At least I'm not desperate like you." he argued.

     A gasp escaped from my mouth upon hearing his venomous comeback.

     "Mr. Lim, do you have a story to share in class?" Ms. Kim called out.

     Oh, no, JB. You're dead. I smirked at him and reveled in his embarrassment.

     "Obseumnida. But I think Ms. Son here has." he replied to Ms. Kim confidently with a smile. An evil smile.

     No, you didn't.

     I wanted to spend the entire semester peacefully with Jung Kook not knowing my presence in this class. But now my plan is ruined!

     I glared at JB before answering Ms. Kim. "He's making things up, Ma'am. Pardon his idiocy."

     "You two, get out of my class." she replied calmly.

     JB and I turned to look at each other in horror.

     Great. Just great. We got sent out on our first day.

     This may be the worst disadvantage of sitting at the back of the class. We got ourselves embarrassed in front of the entire class of 30 students and since we're seated at the back, we have to parade down the aisle with everyone's judging eyes fixed on us. Not to mention Jung Kook's beautiful eyes are one of them.

     Since he was seated at the front row, therefore the last and the longest to witness our shame parade, he was the icing of the cake. I have had enough of embarrassing moments in front of him already. But since this already happened, I could only hope that this would be the last time.

     For a moment, however, I thought I saw him smirk through my peripherals. Did he actually do it obviously to mock me?

     This was so far the most embarrassing moment in my life. So much for complaining about not having any big happenings in the department.

     "This is all your fault." I chided as soon as we stepped out of the classroom, hugging my bag firmly to my chest.

     "What? How is this my fault? You were the one who smacked my head!" JB cried.

     "Because you were being a jerk!" I shot back.

     I didn't get to hear his response because I quickly ran toward the rooftop, two flights of stairs up.

     A naughty breeze of fresh air greeted me as soon as I opened the door to the rooftop. I collapsed onto the wooden platform where Jae Bum and I usually hang out on our break. We've had countless of meals shared here already. It is one of the witnesses to our friendship.

     But now, we're latching onto each other's throats.

     "Since when did you and I become enemies?" I heard JB ask as he entered through the door.

     I, too, don't know exactly how things escalated quickly to this extent. I can't remember the last time we had a heated argument.

     He lay down beside me and folded his arms on the back of his head for a pillow.

     "Nappeun nom." I muttered under my breath.

     He then his side to face me and I did the same. He gave me a radiant smile. "I'm so sorry. Please forgive me."

     "Whoa. Never have I ever seen someone who apologizes while smiling." I scoffed.

     "And now you have." he said, beaming adorably. Or at least he tries to be.

     "On second thought, I think I want to whack you again in the head but this time way harder." I told him.

     "You can't be serious. I'm already in pain!" he complained.

     "So?" I challenged.

     I faked an incoming attack, which scared him out of his wits, ducking his head and shielding it with his arms, only to lie on my back instead.

     I smirked at his fear of me and I heard him grumble about it.

     "What time is your next class?" he then asked.

     "One o'clock, Theories under Mr. Park." I replied.

     "Ooh. Classmates!" he chirped.

     "."