four

Two hundred and five miles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They didn't talk at the trip, at tongyeong. Hayi stayed with Suhyun and Chanhyuk all day long even though her mind drifted away to Jiwon. On the way back, she sat down next to Suhyun while Jiwon sat at the end of the bus, alone. Only thing they shared was small eye contact every then and now. They were back to the way they used to be and somehow it pained both of them. They were acting as if nothing had happened between them, as if they didn't know each other that well. Hayi was dying to turn back her head just for a second and glance towards him but she didn't. She couldn't with Suhyun next to her. The one who already was doubting. ``So there's really nothing that happened between Jiwon and you?``

``Nothing`` Hayi repeated once again. 

Lie. So much had happened but Hayi didn't want to share anything as she was still trying to comprehend the whole thing herself. What exactly happened? All Hayi knew was that something had definitely changed. She no longer perceived Jiwon as a mere acquaintance. Maybe a friend? Or maybe something more. 

The whole way back, Jiwon didn't take his eyes off Hayi's back. He watched her nodding her head every so often to Suhyun's words. He wondered what they were talking about. He wondered if they talked about him. He wondered if Hayi was thinking about him just how he was thinking about her.

 

 

A week and half later, and they still hadn't talk to each other yet. It was the exam session thus every student was busy studying for the numerous finals exams. It was only normal that they haven't found the time to talk. Or perhaps their relationship limited to that road trip only. Hayi wondered if Jiwon had fixed up the pickup and how things went with his father. 

She tried to ask him twice but all her attempts failed to work. The first she tried was when Jiwon was standing alone in the hallway getting his stuff out of his locker. Taking a few slow breathes, she had decided to walk towards him and casually ask him. However, she stopped as Mino came out of nowhere from the other side of the hallway and engaged a conversation with Jiwon. She gave up that time and tried two days later again. During P.E, the class was separated into two teams. Jiwon was sitting on a bench and Hayi gathered her courage and settled her mind on definitely talking to him this time. That was before a ball came in her direction, hitting her right in the stomach. Hayi stopped after that, believing that it was a message from life to stay away from Jiwon.

It saddened the boy also, not being able to talk to Hayi. He tried a few times, more than Hayi, in fact. Eventually, his attempts failed to work as well. With Suhyun and Chanhyuk constantly being near Hayi, Jiwon couldn't make any move. He wanted to talk to her alone so he often watched her in hope to see her unaccompanied, but Hayi was constantly surrounded. That one time she was actually by herself only, Jiwon couldn't. Hanbin had called stating that he needed him to hear the song he had just finished composing. And Jiwon, perfectly knowing how much Hanbin devotes his whole soul and heart into a song, he didn't postpone seeing him. 

They met once though, unexpectedly. 

One day after the school officially finished.One day before Jiwon leaves. One day before his plane takes off. 

Hayi was in a old record store. It would be a lie to say that going there had nothing to do with Jiwon. He was the one who influenced her to listen to old songs hence coming to an old record store where they sell albums from the previous decades was all because of him and Hayi's desire to listen to that type of songs. The girl was looking among an infinity of unknown albums when Jiwon appeared next to her. “You should try this one. Track 4 is the best” he had suggested handing her an album she didn't knew about. Hayi started feeling nervous with Jiwon suddenly next to her. 

“Thanks”

“How have you been doing?”

Dying to talk to you.

“Fine” Hayi lied. What about you?”

“Livable. Could have been better if we had continued talking though” 

Jiwon's honestly surprised Hayi. His words took her off guard and she stared at him in disbelief, not sure if he had actually said it. If he had actually spoken her mind.

“Been busy with exams and all” Hayi quickly murmured.

“We all were. Anyway, do you have any plans for this afternoon?”

It was Saturday and as always Hayi planned to stay home. Her comfort zone. “No”

“Great. Then, we should hangout”

It was more an affirmation than a question or a suggestion. Hayi agreed. Because as bewildering it might sound, Hayi was ready to follow him. anywhere.

Hayi should have seen it coming though. What Jiwon meant by hanging out. Knowing about his love for old songs, about the old school lifestyle he follows, she should have seen it coming.  

If she was hanging out with someone else, anyone else, they would have gone to movie theatres, amusement parks, parties or just simply stay home. But the concept of hanging out was different for Jiwon. 

Hayi was once again sitting in the pickup. “I see you fixed it” 

The first place he brought Hayi wasn't an amusement park or anything of that kind of place but to a festival held in a folk village not too far from where they were. The girl has never been to one of these kinds of festival. However, she couldn't deny that it was a lot of fun.

“You have no idea what I had to go through to get it again. Dad didn't want to let me even drive it to the corner store.”

“And what made him change his mind?”

“Told him that I needed to take my girlfriend out”

 A layer of redness appeared on Hayi's cheeks. Was he talking about me? No, it can't be. He didn't even knew I was at that old store. 

“I see” Hayi replied. She was feeling nervous again, but it wasn't the type of nervosity that makes you feel anxious and fearful. On the contrary, it was the type of nervosity that makes you feel all agited. 

“Where are we going next?”

“You'll see”

You could say Hayi has gone crazy, agreeing with wherever the boy thought of taking her. But Hayi was curious. Curious to find out the type of places Jiwon enjoys. Curious to know if their relationship will progress in a certain way. But out of all the reasons, she followed him, because she deeply enjoyed his company. 

“There's someone I want to introduce you Hayi” Jiwon declared as he parked the car along the sidewalk, in front of a building. Hayi followed him inside, then in a vast hall on the ground floor. One of these places where people organize proms and such things. However, the place was filled with people of the golden age now, happily dancing. 

Jiwon walked in all smile and Hayi followed bowing to few of the grandparents who glanced towards them. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter