two

Two hundred and five miles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Three hours. Hayi expected to spend theses three hours either sitting next to Suhyun or Chanhyuk in the school bus. Sitting on the passenger seat of an old pickup with Jiwon driving is something that has never once crossed her mind. Jiwon, her classmate to whom she has never spoken before excluding three times.

The first time, she conversed with Jiwon was when the latter had demanded her the homework, which Hayi gave him without much thoughts. Jiwon had copied all of it and gave it back to her flashing his irresistible smile as a thanks. The second time Hayi discussed with Jiwon was during her part time job in a convenience store. Jiwon had asked for a discount asserting that both of them were good friends. Although, for Hayi, they were just acquaintance, nothing more and nothing less. ``I can't cut the price`` she had refused him, sticking to the store's work politics. Jiwon had pouted, nevertheless paid the full price before exiting the shop. The third time Hayi and Jiwon exchanged words was last week. During the graduation ceremony, the boy randomly showed up in front of Hayi and congratulated her, displaying once again his irresistible smile. Hayi wished him the best for the future as well and that was all. It didn't seem odd to Hayi that Jiwon felicitated her out of nowhere. The latter was seen walking around, bowing and wishing every moving thing the best. He was happy that day, genuinely happy.

The only thing Hayi found odd that day was why now? why at the end of the year was he being all friendly when he hadn't spoken a word to anybody during the whole few months he was present in the school?

Jiwon came two months after the school year had officialy begun. He was transferred from another one. There was plenty of rumours, speculations and hypotheses at the beginning as to why he was transferred. The most popular one among them was that he had gotten himself into a physical fight and severely injured his opponent.

Hayi never believed in such things. It was all plain bull. 

However, it didn't stop others to believe so. One week after his arrival and Jiwon was labeled as the bad boy, one must avoid in order to remain intact. Regardless of how he was regarded, Jiwon didn't show any form careness. He lived in his own world. Every time Hayi would see him, he either had his earphones plugged into his ears or he was sleeping. Jiwon never bothered teachers nor students. He lived his life as a spectrum, didn't take part in any extracurricular activites, wasn't part of any club or sport team. He wasn't implicated in anything. Even so, his image of a bad boy never dispelled.

``What are you thinking about?``

It was 7;52 AM and they had already made one third of the path. One hour and twenty two minutes of pure silence. Hayi travelled her eyes from the landscape to Jiwon's face, whose eyes were fixed on the road ahead. 

``Nothing much``

``How come you came late? It's not in your habits.`` 

``Electricity went off because of last night's thunderstrom and it restarted my alarm clock``

Hayi wondered how Jiwon knew that being late is not something common for her. How he knows about her habits.

And somehow at the moment, the images of him glancing towards her, crossed her mind. In the school library, the cafeteria, the gym, the halls, ... wherever Hayi was, she always caught sight of Jiwon. And for a second, they'll make eye contact just to turn away their eyes afterwards. Short and unperceivable eye contact. 

``Why didn't you take the bus with the others?`` The female inquired at her turn.

``I like travelling alone``

``Sorry for crushing your dreams``

Jiwon chuckled. ``You're good company``

``I don't even talk``

``That's why``

Hayi laughed as she slightly slapped his arm. “That was mean”

“I was kidding” the latter responsed laughing. 

Humidity was still present in the air due to last night's weather but the wind blowing against Hayi's hair was fresher than anything. She leaned her elbow against the open window of the pick-up and focused her eyes on the scenery. They had passed by the highway and all that  was visible now was an empty small road surrounded by numerous trees. Maybe a forest. Hayi was feeling lighthearted and almost carefree.

Jiwon never felt so good driving, he loved everything in his line of vision, it was everything he always wanted. The silence echoing in the empty road, the amount of green, big trees, it was contrasting from the city, from seeing buildings on both side of the road while driving. He loved it and for a short moment he wished he'll never have to stop driving. 

“Say” Hayi spoke turning around, adjusted herself more comfortably in the seat. “Can't we put music? You always have those earphones in your ears. It's been more than an hour now we're driving without”

Jiwon slowed down the vehicle and pondered for a few seconds Hayi's request. He knew the music he listens to, isn't the type of music others listen to so he always refrained himself from putting it out loud. Besides, the radio of the pick up isn't functioning properly. “What kind of songs do you like?”

“I listen to everything” 

“You probably have preference”

“No really” Hayi empathized. “I listen to all, but I mostly listen to songs that plays on the radio”

“Mainstream music” Jiwon said after a few seconds. “The radio doesn't work and the cds I have are quite old”

Hayi searched through all of Jiwon CDs after the latter had given her the permission. ‘Sad songs compilation’ Hayi snorted upon reading the words written on a cd with a black sharpie. “You make songs compilation Jiwon?”

Jiwon's mind went blank for a few seconds as he heard Hayi saying his name. It was the first time she said it and not knowing why, Jiwon liked it. 

“Hanbin made them”

“Who's Hanbin?” Hayi asked mindlessly. She was too focused on looking through all the CDs. 

“My friend from my former school”

Hayi nodded. So he does have friends, she thought. After a while, the girl happily expressed that she found the perfect cd and proceeded to open the stereo system to place it, in it. She clicked on a few buttons and a s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter