one

Two hundred and five miles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jiwon hates living in the city, a polluted, noisy and crowded place where technology has taken over. He hates seeing people on theirs phones, engrossed in a virtual life and disconnected from the real one. People busy creating themselve an nonexistent life on social platforms that they forget to shape and forge the real one. He hates seeing this but it is unavoidable inasmuch as everyone owns a smartphone. Apart from Jiwon. Jiwon doesn't own a smartphone. He doesn't want to nor feel the necessity to. 

At the age of twelve, Jiwon had requested his mother to move elsewhere. Somewhere else, somewhere away, where he could catch sight of stars. Unlikely to him, his mother had refused stating that city lights shine brighter than stars. At the age of nineteen, Jiwon realized the truth in his mother's words. The light projected by the lanterns, the vehicles, the towering buildings, the billboards... it was all brighter. Along with that, Jiwon understood that living in a city is similar to living under the bright daylight. The one that burns you unknowingly, little by little, the one that you almost don't feel until your skin is filled with red marks. Suncreen can be use to prevent sunburns, but there's no such products that protects you from the city. From the toxic people, the toxic environnement... Seoul city is a battlefield with people constantly in a competition whether it is about the best looks, the best grades or the best career. Jiwon wants to get away, get away from all of that because it's slowly burning him in the same way as the sunlight. He's slowly feeling the red marks. And having longed for something for so long, Jiwon's wish is just a day away from being granted. His school has organized a one day trip to tongyeong, a small town located two hundred and five miles away from the capital of the country. Two hundred and five miles away, is all where Jiwon needs to be.

``Please dad, it's just for one day`` 

``It's really old, it won't even make half the way`` Jiwon's father protested. ``Why don't you take the school bus with the others kids?``

``Oh come on, dad``

If there is one thing Jiwon wants more than going on that one day trip is going there alone. There is no way, he'd spend hours in a enclosed bus with kids mumbling uncomprehensible and unimportant things. He wants to go alone, observe the landscape along the way, play the songs he wants and stop by all the rest areas... 

``Do you even know the way?`` 

Jiwon ran on the other side of the old pick-up and hugged his father for admitting defeat. ``Don't worry about that``

Jiwon let go of his father after hearing a loud piercing and crashing noise. Thunder. ``We should get in.``

 

                                                                            ////

 

''We only have two weeks left'' Hayi reminded, sighing.

She sure knew how to ruin the moment, making everyone snap into the reality that is life. Hayi, Suhyun and Chanhyuk were laying on the ground of the basketball court facing the starless sky.

''It's not like we're never going to see each after'' the naive Suhyun replied eyes fixed on the upper atmosphere. Hayi wondered what was so pretty about it. The sky, it wasn't as if it was filled with beautiful stars or beautiful clouds. Conversely, it was empty and dark. Perhaps a reflection of her life.

''Isn't it what everyone always says?'' Hayi stated matter of factly knowing very well that no matter how many times people say they will stick together or despite how much they want it, distance always end up forming walls between relationships. Sure, at the beginning, they'll remain in contact, but she knew that as time would pass by, the phone calls, the letters, the messages will get shorter and shorter until not a single word is left to be said. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter